More turbo questions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default More turbo questions

I've read a comment on YouTube saying boost doesn't kill motors, power does.. What's that mean exactly.. Like another comment said you can run 25psi and only make 140whp but run 10psi and make more.. How is that even possible. I always thought the more the psi the more the hp
Johnnyyjoness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

To much power in general? Sounds like whoever said that 25psi would make 140whp and 10psi would make more is a dumbass. I mean, did he based it on a lawnmower or something? No seriously... I guess in a way to much power could wear down a motor if it's pushed passed its given purpose, and this is why we tune our cars to monitor and make sure that the motor is performing like it should. It's all about making sure that all the components are working well with each before even proceeding into cranking the boost to 25psi or whatever nonsense the guy was saying on youtube. Any motor can make power if built right, proper parts, methods tuning etc... And yes more boost more power, literally speaking.

Built+Tuned+Boost=power

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jvtec8k; 07-01-2015 at 11:38 PM.
jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2015, 01:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Its air volume that matters. Psi is the measure of resistence to the air being pushed into the motor. So it works out that a small turbo pushing 20 psi can make alot less power then a big turbo pushing 9psi.. if you have a 3" tube filled with 9 psi there is more air in that tube then a 1" tube with 15psi.

Try blowing through a straw, and also a toilet paper tube. The straw will have higher pressure but alot less air. The toilet paper tube will have next to no pressure but loads more aire flowjng throight it. Thus the lower pressure (psi) wil make more power.

Volume not pressure.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!

Also say you have a stock motor and the rods will break at 200 hp. They dont care if you have a tiny turbo pushing 30 psi to make 200 hp or a huge turbo pushing 5 psi to make 200 hp. Either way it doesnt care about psi it cares about 200 hp because then when its going to break. Hx35 vs 13g. This is why people buy bigger turbos and not just run small ones at high boost levels. You heat shit up and added pressures.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
will sell soul for rep to share with this man. any takers?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

Add to what the others said, drop in a low lift, long duration cam with a bunch of over lap you blow most the air/fuel mix out the exhaust.

That will kill your HP quick.

The lbs/min rating on turbos range widely, so the lb/min from a T25 will be much than the lb/min of a HX40
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanguy View Post
Also say you have a stock motor and the rods will break at 200 hp. They dont care if you have a tiny turbo pushing 30 psi to make 200 hp or a huge turbo pushing 5 psi to make 200 hp. Either way it doesnt care about psi it cares about 200 hp because then when its going to break. Hx35 vs 13g. This is why people buy bigger turbos and not just run small ones at high boost levels. You heat shit up and added pressures.
Stock internals break 200hp you say, but there's this guy here in California (long beach) by the name of Compton Rob, he has built a 500hp single can on stock internals.. I'm not bull shitty neither
ArceDaBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 11:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

proof? stock rods at 500hp? d series rods? not integra?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
Let me get his link on Instagram n Facebook
Old 07-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
i was mistaken, he has rjs rods, block guard, arp 2000 big bolt, skunk 2 intake n TB, stage three puck clutch
Old 07-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

I just picked a number. I dont mean they will break at 200hp .it was to show how psi doesnt matyer
Old 08-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 ej_emilayy326 is learning the way of the Dej_emilayy326 is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanguy View Post
I just picked a number. I dont mean they will break at 200hp .it was to show how psi doesnt matyer
So pretty much everything needs to be aftermarket and nothing stock with a turbo?

91' EF Sedan
95' DC2
96' CD5
95' EJ1

ej_emilayy326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Nope.

You can run upwards of 200hp or more, if the pressure in the engine doesn't reach critical levels, so the rods cannot push the car as fast as the air and gas and spark are coming in. You can guess what happens then.

Then there is revving beyond stock levels to reach the power in the FI application in the first place........but you did not ask about that.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 ej_emilayy326 is learning the way of the Dej_emilayy326 is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
Nope.

You can run upwards of 200hp or more, if the pressure in the engine doesn't reach critical levels, so the rods cannot push the car as fast as the air and gas and spark are coming in. You can guess what happens then.

Then there is revving beyond stock levels to reach the power in the FI application in the first place........but you did not ask about that.
Up until recently, I knew nothing about any kind of turbo cept which cars are now stock with them and my friend had one catch on fire. (his own fault)
I got interested because I would like to build a car. I figured I would do more research on turbo. I know a lot of things about stock motors. But nothing about turbo or boost. So it is a learning process for me.

91' EF Sedan
95' DC2
96' CD5
95' EJ1

ej_emilayy326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

There is some super good reading around here on proper building method theory and in between.

First bit of advice, knowledge, whatever...

Fast, cheap, reliable, you cannot have all three, your fun and longevity depend on route taken. Welcome, make an intro post, post pics, rejoice.

Whoshot out.

Quote:
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

Old 08-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Psi is irelavent (probably not spelled right)
Its all about cfm.
To put it simple, smaller turbos flows less cfm at a given psi the a bigger turbo at the same psi level.

Think 18wheeler tire @40psi vs a small doubt tire at 40psi. Not the same. Amount of air in them, but still 40 psi

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 07:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 mdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Psi is irelavent (probably not spelled right)
Its all about cfm.
To put it simple, smaller turbos flows less cfm at a given psi the a bigger turbo at the same psi level.

Think 18wheeler tire @40psi vs a small doubt tire at 40psi. Not the same. Amount of air in them, but still 40 psi
To the original poster, think of this this way blow really hard through a straw you can reach a certain PSI. Now even though the PRESSURE is really high, the actual VOLUME of air you are forcing through is small. Take a a large hose or pipe, and force the same PSI through; the CFM will be higher but the same pressure. which contains more air?

PSI is a measure of pressure, CFM is the actual volume of air being delivered. That is why it doesn't matter if you have a turbo that can deliver 100PSI of boost if the CFM is low, pressure doesn't matter, CFM does; the more volume, the more fuel in the motor, the more power.
mdrouillard1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in