catch cans are they neccessary - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Rep Power: 0 paltialti is worse than Satan's assholepaltialti is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default catch cans are they neccessary

At what point is a catch can neccessary I've been beating my d16z6 with a 13g on it. At 8 psi tuned crome pro and. So far so good I have a catch can set up but yet to install it enlighten me please
paltialti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

what has any searching told you yet?

technically there are two ways to install them. VC breathing, or black box breathing. But one way works better than the other.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

Depends on how much crankcase pressure you have and blow by, thats why people weld fittings on the valve cover, to relieve more pressure

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

what they said.

Most factory cars run pcv setups due to emission. Or a tube from the turbo inlet to help suck out the pressure.
But it is all about how pressure is building up.
You will prolong the life of the motor by running a good setup tho

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

You need a breather tank.. not a sealed can
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

Never had blow by issues again with my dual -10an breather kit. It's well worth it

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Necessary? Likely not. Look at what the OEM's do for roughly that size turbo - practically nothing. If you are having unusual issues that may relate to crankcase pressure (like a smoking turbo or oil-fouled park plugs) that typical fixes aren't fixing, you might need one.

Will it help? Most likely, but results vary. I've seen more than a handful of people have catch cans cause more issues than they solve. Right now I think 3/4 of catch cans in use aren't added to help, they're added because they make the car looks like a serious racecar.

In any case, I'm not a fan of guessing if you need a part. So far I've never seen any Honda owner actually hook a pressure sensor to their valve cover & log crankcase pressure. But then again Honda owners tend to be the most frugal with data collection, besides what comes out of the CN1 port.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2015, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I had a catch can on my 2013 Honda Fit. I was collecting about 1oz of oil every 1k miles.

no wonder my intake valves were already dirty as can be at 40k miles when I had the intake assembly off for another valve lash adjustment/inspection. (intake runners curve over motor on the L15 motors)

Since cleaning the entire intake assembly on my d16y7, no oil has shown itself.

no catch can now. Just a clean good quality breather filter. the ebay ones dont filter anything at all. I bought one just to show my brother how easily fresh 10w40 conventional seeps right out of it. good $3 lesson for him lol

Build what you have!

Old 05-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

If you already bought one ,why wait and see if you develop blow by issues? Install it and mo itor the amount of oily crud it catches.cheap insurance.most likely youl end up turning up the boost so .....
Old 05-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

I have a huge issue with catch can designs. If all you are doing is placing a large cavern in line whats the point?

I had to design my own to be happy and believe its actually doing anything.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2015, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
I have a huge issue with catch can designs. If all you are doing is placing a large cavern in line whats the point?

I had to design my own to be happy and believe its actually doing anything.
99% of the catchcans out there are un-baffled

oil "spray" wont separate from airflow.

which means 99% of online available catchcans are junk. read: all ebay cans. lol

Build what you have!

Old 05-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I had Greg at Autoworks fab me up a can that I mounted on pass shock tower.

I threw some soft foam inside to baffle it, works perfectly.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

not really necessary
buddies all running 500+ without one
Im running about 400 without one and it never even crosses my mind
Old 05-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

So just because your running w/o one means its not needed..

highly unlikely. If you did research on why its needed, you would use it.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
So just because your running w/o one means its not needed..

highly unlikely. If you did research on why its needed, you would use it.
Yes I'm saying its 100% not necessary
Old 05-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

your rings will disagree with you shortly

Wait, do you even have a modified or boosted engine? If not, then yea, not needed.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Im surprised people are trying to say you don't need one.... lol I mean really. Yes at any/every level of a boosted setup a catch can should be required. Its a small investment for peace of mind.... maybe not "needed" for low power, or what not, but the good they do for venting should never be over looked.
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 jumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Borat

Is it the catch can that is needed or, just the fact that you're helping release pressure from the engine...I'm sure it's better to have a properly designed catch can for emissions. But how much better is it than just having a vent on the VC going to a slashcut in the exhaust...or how much worse
jumpncrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
your rings will disagree with you shortly

Wait, do you even have a modified or boosted engine? If not, then yea, not needed.
How shortly. 5 years running strong. Was my daily for 2 years through summer and winter snow. I have more problems with transmissions then my motor
Old 05-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

on a healthy motor, the effects of a catchcan are minimzed.

On a purpose built motor, perhaps forged internals where piston to wall gap is alrger than factory, a catchcan can be an amazing helper in engine life.

There are no set rules for having it or not having it.

I personally will have one once my civic is completely up to my standards of maintenance. a timing belt, water pump, and full gasket kit are on the to-do list before a proper catchcan though. and a dry and wet test before worried about keeping it healthier. if this motor shows its burning oil, well, looks like my motor is gonna be squeaky clean new this winter lol

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in