Rebuild or swap? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Rebuild or swap?

I picked up a 1993 civic ex coupe for 650, it's complete and runs...(shitty) lol
Well the d16z6 has a blown head gasket, and the previous owner let the motor over heat until it shut off on him, there seems to be metal shaving in the cylinder head nut sure.. Would a rebuild be cheaper to do or a swap?
ArceDaBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

you would be taking your chances with a swap, not knowing what issues it had. but it would be cheaper than having someone rebuild your engine.
are you sure theres metal in the oil? how warped is the head? how do the sleeves look?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

rebuilding would be probably 3x as much but you would know that its solid and set to go another 250k miles. getting a used swap you never know what condition its in.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
you would be taking your chances with a swap, not knowing what issues it had. but it would be cheaper than having someone rebuild your engine.
are you sure theres metal in the oil? how warped is the head? how do the sleeves look?
I actually want to rebuild it myself, it would be my first rebuild, ive been looking at the DNJ kit on RockAuto, the master rebuild kit goes for $317.00

When i pull out the dipstick there's particles on it pretty sure its metal

cant tell if the head is warped because i dont have the tool ha
Old 05-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
rebuilding would be probably 3x as much but you would know that its solid and set to go another 250k miles. getting a used swap you never know what condition its in.
alright cool man, so fursure i would have to get the block hot tanked, hone, and idk what else ha
Old 05-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

have you guys ever replaced a lower ball joint without the using a ball joint press?
Old 05-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArceDaBoss View Post
alright cool man, so fursure i would have to get the block hot tanked, hone, and idk what else ha
don't forget decking the block if it isn't flat, decking the head if it isn't flat, making sure the cam is ok if the head was warped.

Quote:
have you guys ever replaced a lower ball joint without the using a ball joint press?

your google fu sucks bro. get better at it, or all this help will bring a red dot.

Balljoint Replacment with Autozone Free Rentals 27023 & 27164 - Honda-Tech
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 05-10-2015 at 05:40 PM.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Michael99 is learning the way of the DMichael99 is learning the way of the D

Quote:
sure ) you should search more!
Michael99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
don't forget decking the block if it isn't flat, decking the head if it isn't flat, making sure the cam is ok if the head was warped.

your google fu sucks bro. get better at it, or all this help will bring a red dot.

Balljoint Replacment with Autozone Free Rentals 27023 & 27164 - Honda-Tech
thank you every much for the info
Old 05-10-2015, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!

I use the 4x4 ball joint tool from harborfreight. The most expensive part of the rebuild will be the machine work. You first step will be to strip the head and block down. My local shop charges $45 each for the head and block to be cleaned and checked. They will be able to tell you what size pistons you will need and if either are useable.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
I use the 4x4 ball joint tool from harborfreight. The most expensive part of the rebuild will be the machine work. You first step will be to strip the head and block down. My local shop charges $45 each for the head and block to be cleaned and checked. They will be able to tell you what size pistons you will need and if either are useable.
the local manchine shop is charging me 100 to wash, hone and surface the block. And 30 to cut the head if the cam is already removed. 45 if you leave the cam in.

and shouldnt the standard piston fit ?

what you think
Old 05-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

If the walls check out after the dial bore gauge measurement, then yes, stock pistons should work fine.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle
Send a message via AIM to 87REX

Quote:
the local manchine shop is charging me 100 to wash, hone and surface the block. And 30 to cut the head if the cam is already removed. 45 if you leave the cam in.

and shouldnt the standard piston fit ?

what you think
Thats a pretty good price for all that work, as long as the shop has a good standing. Id have them check it over before any work is performed on the engine. Rebuilding an engine isnt as hard as everyone makes it out to be, especially if your just putting stock parts back in. Google is your friend, use it, use it often, use it and own it like its your bitch! YouTube will help out as well. You may get stressed out at times, but its always an amazing feeling when you turn the key and hear that bad boy fire up for the first time. Good luck with the build.

Ditch the Bisi cam unless you like your torque to drop off faster than Miley Cyrus' credibility.
Quote:
Never pass up a chance to work on a friends car at their house if you know their mom puts out..
87REX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

^^^

Yep

I had my fingers crossed when I started mine up for the 1st time.

but after driving it for 10k miles now, Its a great feeling riding in an engine you built with your own 2 hands.

People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Last edited by Esotericimage; 05-11-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle
Send a message via AIM to 87REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
^^^

Yep

I had my fingers crossed when I started mine up for the 1st time.

but after driving it for 10k miles now, Its a great feeling riding in an engine you built with your own 2 hands.
Also remember to remove the 1/2" drive and socket from the crank pulley before starting it up. That sudden CLANK makes your heart stop! Go ahead ask me how i know!

Ditch the Bisi cam unless you like your torque to drop off faster than Miley Cyrus' credibility.
Quote:
Never pass up a chance to work on a friends car at their house if you know their mom puts out..
87REX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87REX View Post
Also remember to remove the 1/2" drive and socket from the crank pulley before starting it up. That sudden CLANK makes your heart stop! Go ahead ask me how i know!

Ive done that more than once lol

Like i said before... Have the machine shop check it first. Your cylinder walls may be too worn down to reuse stock pistons. The last one i sent in was borderline so i bought .5mm over pistons

Old 05-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Count on oversized pistons and hopefully the crank is still in good shape with some washed out bearings. Then off to the machine shop and get the deck and head cut straight and washed out. Hopefully this isn't your only car as you should take the time to build this right and double check everything.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

robgoof Still a JDM Star....robgoof Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87REX View Post
thats not fun ,good thing I was only using the 3/8 drive ,it broke the end off the extension ...I will never let me live it down.

Also ,
I have never liked using engine parts that have been in an overheated engine brought to the point of shutting itself down ,everything inside the engine usually gets pretty thrashed in the process .

Last edited by robgoof; 05-11-2015 at 01:53 PM.
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks mofos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in