93 civic wont pass emissions. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 93 civic wont pass emissions.

I have a 93 civic coupe with a d16z6 and I can't pass emissions. I just bought the car for 300 from a friend and the only thing that was wrong with it tps and I replaced that. It ran hc .72 out of 1.00 the NOX ran 1.20 out of 2.50 and my CO ran 12.12 out of 12.00. I'm lost on what could be causing this.. The motor has been rebuilt about 50 thousand miles ago and I have all the receipts for the rebuild. I've put new cap, rotor, dizzy, wires, plugs, and the cat was replaced about 8 months ago. I was told that running denatured alcohol would make the car run cleaner and i have used it in my 73 dart and it does help but on this car it made it worse. It brought my HG to .92, CO raised to 12.90 and nox went to 1.32.... I'm new to the honda game and would appreciate any help! If you need any more info please ask.
Smokedya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 04:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Drive the car for awhile before going to the emissions testing site to get the cat nice and hot, check for vacuum leaks (I suggest the old carb cleaner technique).
Old 03-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

I did both times. I went to the emissions testing about 25 minutes from me. I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and the idle didn't spike. But when I put it in park after driving it for a bit the idle jumps around for a few seconds then files normally. Also while I had the hood popped I noticed it sounded like the motor was sucking a lot of air almost a whistle of sorts.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Okay so you are failing on CO, high CO emissions is from incomplete combustion.

Check air filter (replace if dirty)
Check the PCV system (replace the PCV, its cheap so why not?)
Check the EVAP system (canister is probably full of fuel from over filling the tank, obviously replace or delete if so)
Check the o2 (during normal operation an oxygen sensors voltage should be switching between 0.1 to 1.0 volt at a rate of approximately 50 cycles per minute)

Uncommon
Check TPS voltage (.4-.5v closed to 5ish v open)
Defective MAP and/or ECT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

high HC is too rich. High NOX is too lean. not sure about CO. If everything is really high its usually a bad cat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Check all grounds.

Verify O2 sensor is less than 5 years old or so. If it was in there before engine build, take it out and clean it with mineral spirits and a toothbrush. Bits of metal from the rebuild could have blocked part of the sensor.

Buy a cheap set of injectors, then send all 8 to Injector Clinic to get cleaned and matched.

Make sure fuel pressure regulator is in good condition.

Or just skip all this, buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and turn the pressure down SLIGHTLY

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

How do I check if the fiel pressure regulator is in good condition or not? And the o2 sensor is a New boshe I put on when my friend owned the car. Air filter is new as well just some cheap spectre air filter. I'll have to check the charcoal canister. Could the timing be an issue in this as well? I can't set the timing on it right because someone took the lower timing belt cover off and lost it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in