Any hope for my HF? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 Street Sniper is learning the way of the DStreet Sniper is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Street Sniper Send a message via Yahoo to Street Sniper
Default Any hope for my HF?

What's up, DSO? Long time no see. 5 years, it seems.

Reintroducing myself... had a turbo '94 Z6 coupe (sold), then got a ZC swap '88 CRX Si (stolen).

And now I've had my HF for about 4 years. It's primary use is car stereo competitions and I've done pretty well. (4) world championships and (4) world records. BUT... now that I'm driving it a bit more, I have got to do something to get this thing moving. 50mpg is nice and all, but geez.

I stumbled across some "HF all motor monster" thread from a million years ago that gets referenced a lot, but I can't tell if it's some elaborate hoax or what. I know my head is terrible. I know I'm 8 valve. I know traditional "mini-me" is out. Turbo is apparently a waste. Lol. So what the hell does that leave me for options?

I have searched and read quite a bit, but it seems recommendations are all over the place. Everyone wants to swap a damn K24 or some shit and I want to stay with the D obviously.

I want to keep the thing reliable. I want it done right and I'd like to make it as painless as possible.

Fast
Cheap
Reliable

I choose fast and reliable.

What say you?

I call her the "retard".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot
im running 10ohms, so is it bad to run to rich?

<<--- Diaper Sniper
Street Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 04:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Follow this To-Do list:

1. Buy beer
2. Open beer
3. Drink beer
4. Build another turbo z6
5. Swap in turbo z6
6. Drink another beer as you sit back and admire your work
Old 03-10-2015, 06:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Why do you think that a mini me is out? And your setup can still benefit from a turbo
lostdrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 06:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdrizzle View Post
Why do you think that a mini me is out? And your setup can still benefit from a turbo
8 valve pistons don't have the extra reliefs cut. Probably be ok until Vtec hits, or clay the engine with Vtec engaged and make sure of it.

And I like Alan's 6 step program... although I hardly ever get past step 3...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

only thing that crushes hope on a honda is rust, and it doesn't sound like that's the issue.
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

Convert it to RWD, shovel off a twin turbo SBC with a T56 6 speed.... You should have a good amount of torque to move that beast then.
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

There is a 500hp B-swap rwd crx out there, it can be done. Man so many red underlines in that last sentence, must mean it is super rare so even word cant tell if I am joking or crazy.

I think a motor swap is the best option, but you have some coolness factor options with the elderlyness of the chassis. I would go z6 turbo as well, just to keep it as old a motor that is capable with current setups, and still has tons of parts out there in case you ever feel like breaking it.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Start with a better D.

They are cheap enough and are direct replacements, for the most part.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

Just no traction whatsoever bogus. I say turbo Z6 as you sound like money isn't your biggest issue.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

Hoove... thats what ladder bars and tube back half chassis are for!! But I think the Turbo Z6 may just be a dollar or two cheaper...
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 Street Sniper is learning the way of the DStreet Sniper is learning the way of the D
Send a message via AIM to Street Sniper Send a message via Yahoo to Street Sniper

Outside of the TT RWD, sounds like boosted Z6 is a consensus.

I was secretly hoping everyone was going to agree on an A6 for some reason, but I'm cool with the Z6 since I'm already pretty familiar with it.

I'll start looking. Thanks for the suggestions.

What do you guys think about keeping the tall gears of the HF tranny? Good idea or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot
im running 10ohms, so is it bad to run to rich?

<<--- Diaper Sniper
Street Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

D16a6 is my favorite dseries honda ever made, if that helps.but im an all motor kinda of guy Seems to me they would be better for all motor builds for like autox cars, lower rpm motors . I say z6 for turbo

Edit: welllll depends on the power your looking for, if under 300whp i say go A6

Last edited by Evanguy; 03-10-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Evanguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanguy View Post
D16a6 is my favorite dseries honda ever made, if that helps.but im an all motor kinda of guy Seems to me they would be better for all motor builds for like autox cars, lower rpm motors . I say z6 for turbo

Edit: welllll depends on the power your looking for, if under 300whp i say go A6
300hp is awesome, but I have much more realistic expectations. 150hp to the wheels would be nice.

Can I get there all motor on an A6? Shit... 100hp is probably doubling what I have now. Lol