New n00b here from TN - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default New n00b here from TN

Sup guys. Long time Chevy owner til today. Seen an online ad for a 97 civic with a "blown" motor for sale for $400. Bought the car with a D16y7 motor/auto tranny. Not really sure where to start as far as aquiring a new motor. Replace motor with same? Different motor? Where would you go as far as hp/price? Thanks
Blk07TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Really depends on your budget and skill set. Cheapest easiest route is an exact replacement. But there isn't really a limit if your budget will support it.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

I dont really have much of a budget. Like i said this is my first honda and as you can tell from owning a 6.0 trailblazer i like speed lol. I just dont wanna make it a money pit but wouldn't mind spending a couple thousand to make it really nice

Old 02-22-2015, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

As far as skill i've fairly mechanically skilled and will have an actual mechanic help me out some also. Do i need to be looking for another y7 motor and maybe a y8 head swap? Just curious what everyone else is basically doing for the best bang for the buck
Old 02-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano

Home page

&

Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com

Both offer pretty decent engines.

Try and keep your swap a 96+ and it will pretty much be a drop in swap. The y8 head swap is a good choice. Do your research on the differences between 96-98 and 99-00 heads and manifolds. Your main limiting factor will be the auto trans. Not too hard to swap to a manual one tho.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
Old 02-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Yea i wasn't fond of the auto tranny also but for $400 i couldn't pass it up. I think maybe a turbo setup and i'll have a nice street car. What other stuff should i look into other than a turbo?

Should i look into anykind of tranny work also? What about bottom end? Pistons? Headwork? Etc
Old 02-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Anything over ~200 whp and the bottom end will likely not survive. A rods and piston motor when properly assembled will take care of that. 300 whp can be made with just a rods and piston motor. Pushing towards 400 and you will need a little more work.

As far as trans goes you want to hunt out a s40 Ex trans. They are better for a few reasons the main being the better ratios. All the info you need is on this site. Just gotta start looking.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
Old 02-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

K thanks. Just needed a heads up on what to look for

I figured if i could get around 250-275 that would be plenty for me
Old 02-23-2015, 05:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Red-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagle

What part of TN? BeerDrinkin and I live in the state as well.

Before you go crazy with power, I'd recommend swapping that auto trans out for a 5 speed, Honda auto transmissions can't take any added power.

My engine recommendation is a D16Y7, D16Y8, or D16z6.
Vitara piston and matching rods and with the right turbo you'll be making 350whp if you really wanted to.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Greetings fellow Tennessean!

Good pickup for $400, do some research on what you want to do and start shopping around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2015, 06:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

I am from Lexington down near Jackson. If i could find me a manual transmission I would swap it out. Was just wanting an insite on where basically to start looking before i bought a bunch of stuff that didn't work together or wasn't needed
Old 02-23-2015, 07:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Here is what i bought

Old 02-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Looks really good, nice fat fives too. I would have jumped all over that as well.

Start researching unto auto to manual swaps and do it all while you have the motor out as it would be alot easier.

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 02-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

nice find
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Yea i plan on doing it all at once but depending on what motor i find probably gonna build the bottom end some and turbo it all at once. Just wanna have my ducks in a row and make sure i dont miss anything lol
Old 02-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

You have been fed a fair amount of knowledge. Have you started researching a bit on what has been said? I only ask as to not cover ground you have already.

Personally I would cover all maintenance, especially while the motor is out. Update suspension to handle goals as well as brakes and tires.

Then it is about sourcing the motor and trans that you desire and getting the supporting parts to keep it smooth running. There is no one combination, but there is one resounding theme over all. A GOOD TUNE.

Good luck nice pick up on the civic. Welcome to DSO, read up, and mostly have fun.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks. I guess what i'm trying to get at is what is most common swaps. Fairly something simple but not something i'd have to sink thousands into to get decent power out of if that makes sense. I can see now the auto tranny has to go which i have no problem with.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Food for thought-
You bought a civic, it take thousands if you wanna go fast. If you want zip and reliable get a y8 and get to work. If you really get the bug later, boost. A good turbo setup, built by you can be had for less then thousands, but most of us have to get help fabing parts up and tuning so the cost goes up significantly the more reliable you want to make the power.

Lots of research can end in disaster, a proper build should not, remember, cheap - reliable - fast, pick two. Also if you didn't want it to blow up why did you start it? One last one, build, break, tear down, repeat. These are common phrases when it comes to building power.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Throwing out 400hp from a 6.0 is not a problem. Forcing a 1.6 to make that much HP when originally made 1/4 that power takes alot of heavy duty parts and attention to detail, one mistake on the tune and you could blow the head gasket instantly from head lift.

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 02-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

That's why i'm asking questions now and not later. I've worked on cars about the past 15 years mostly minitrucks doing airbags, wiring, small motor work, etc.. I'm not a big gear head but i have alot of buddies that are we are just more into the typical sbc and wanted some heads up on what to be looking for, what to do, etc instead of wasting our time lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in