broken axle shaft - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 04:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Angry broken axle shaft

Thought that my clutch went out. Seems I have a little more work to do. Been out of town all week and ordered a clutch but it's obviously going to take a bit more to get me going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1423400606097-285733256.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	568.0 KB
ID:	81625  
damcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Rust, the silent killer .

But an axle is an easy fix. I had mines break at 1am on the way home. Had to fix it right there to get the car home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2015, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

robgoof Still a JDM Star....robgoof Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

hope you weren't doing burn outs!

nothing worse than breaking your car at the scene of the crime
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

I was just headed home. I am almost ready to drop the transmission and noticed this. It doesn't seem right to me. Looking at where the axleft goes into the transmission from the passenger side of the car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14234226484222109826329.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	81697  
Old 02-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

What doesn't seem right with the 40mm 96-00 S40 transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2015, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Looking in the hole, I saw that round shaft or sleeve. I wasnt sure it was supposed to look like that or if something was broke. The way the cv broke I had a feeling that something else might be messed up. That just shows my inexperience with all this. I have owned many manual cars but this is the first one I had to do a clutch job. After I dropped the Trans I could turn the input shaft and see that the output where the axles go in rotate, so I feel better.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Pin for the spider gears.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2015, 04:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks
Old 02-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Having a hard time getting the flywheel bolts to break. Is there a trick to doing this? Motor moves so much I can't really get a good pull on my wrench. I was debating on just cleaning up the fly wheel and bolting the exedy clutch and pressure plate but not sure if that is a bad idea. Need some advice and thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 559civic_dx is hot as a volcano559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 21 reviews

You have to use something or make something to keep the flywheel from spinning like putting a bolt wedged in so keep it from turning

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

my 1996 hatch build in progress

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
559civic_dx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

I saw that "special tool" in the manual. I could make something at work. I don't have steel around the house. Could I just keep the OEM flywheel tho?
Old 02-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Michael99 is learning the way of the DMichael99 is learning the way of the D

to take flywheel bolts of, you can take one pressure plate bolt, and bolt it in the flywheel on its place, and put one transmission bolt in engine hosing. After use wrench to stop rotating the engine, like you see on the picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	34sjwk4.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	81873  
Michael99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by damcreek View Post
I saw that "special tool" in the manual. I could make something at work. I don't have steel around the house. Could I just keep the OEM flywheel tho?

Yes if you are just changing your clutch just clean the flywheel with brake cleaner and some clean paper towels and install the new clutch and flywheel

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
Old 02-12-2015, 04:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by damcreek View Post
I've seen impact and screw driver uses.
People put a bolt in the flywheel and use a jack or jack stand to hold the bolt and fly wheel in place.
Some have used the crank pulley tool (doesn't work that much).

But you can get the oem flywheel as long as it's not beat up to bad.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2015, 04:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will just clean up the oem fly wheel. I have been driving my project car around while I finish this up. That alone is another level of stress because I don't think everything works as it should. That's a topic for another thread or forum
Old 02-12-2015, 05:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

there's a million different ways to rig standard tools with a bolt to hold the flywheel. on my b18c I used a bolt in the crotch of a pair of vise grips

90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the tips I never would have thought to try either way.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559civic_dx View Post
Yes if you are just changing your clutch just clean the flywheel with brake cleaner and some clean paper towels and install the new clutch and flywheel

Um no. If there are grooves at all it needs ro be turned. If there are Hotspot then it needs to be turned. These aren't the brake rotors. He will have horrible clutch chatter if he installs it incorrectly. I hate seeing people who just throw on a new clutch without proper prep on the flywheel.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hoove View Post
Um no. If there are grooves at all it needs ro be turned. If there are Hotspot then it needs to be turned. These aren't the brake rotors. He will have horrible clutch chatter if he installs it incorrectly. I hate seeing people who just throw on a new clutch without proper prep on the flywheel.

Yeah you are right. He hasn't given much info on the car. Doesn't seem like he wants much down time, and if it is just a stock daily car I would just throw it in. But to each his own

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
Old 02-13-2015, 01:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Sorry for my lack of details on the car. It is all stock y8 with around 177 on the clock. As I was cleaning up my fly wheel last night I gave the piolet bearing inside it a few turns and noticed a little wear. So I used the wrench bolt tip and the flywheel bolts broke pretty easily. Thanks again for the tips. Are there any easy ways to get the transmission and engine to mate back up? I was thinking of buying some all thread, installing it in the block to help guide the transmission on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in