New to Honda, Autocross/Track Car Project - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cool New to Honda, Autocross/Track Car Project

Hey guys,

I got my first Honda last July, a one owner '89 Civic Si. It's pretty high mileage, but has had meticulous maintenance and records over it's life (crazy, right?). It's not perfect, but it is a blast to drive and I have big plans for it and it gives me something to do on a college budget.

Right now, it only has an old set of Enkei 84 wheels with Hankook RS3 tires, a momo steering wheel, and a suspension techniques rear sway bar.

I plan on rebuilding the d16a6 engine (hopefully swapping in another one while I rebuild this one), koni struts w/ ground control coilovers, camber arms/bolts, cold air intake, DC header, catback exhaust, and hopefully a new paint job after a little rust removal.

Any autocross guys out there? Especially Street Touring
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn2689.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	81289   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn2690.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	81297   Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoGrid_1412645509790.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	81305   Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoGrid_1406127652507.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	81313  
Attached Images

autox89si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2015, 05:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

Welcome! There's a few of us on here that autocross.

You're on a good path it seems for an STS car. I started in college too, and it's definitely an affordable way to get into racing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 06:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!

Just don't go out of your way money-wise to hit your goals
... But there are many track-oriented racers on here (trying not to sound like a JDM ricer yo) lol.

How do you like the car so far? I'd say upgrade when you feel more comfortable. With those tires already, you got a lot to learn before you'll be bumping their limits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!

Oh, I forgot to mention something. Depending on your spring rate I would try no front sway bar or an HF bar. I didn't like the feeling of no front bar so I run an HF front sway.

< Like us on FB
Old 02-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I absolutely love the car. It was faster in H-street than my 08 Impreza was in G-street (about 8-9 seconds on our local permanent test n tune course). Just on tires and stock struts with a swaybar, it feels like a giant go-kart and I would've won H-street last year, but I didn't have the car for enough events and lost on participation. With the dismantling of H-street (addition of new Civic Si, Fiesta ST, etc), I wanted to try to move into Street Touring.

I've read a lot of Andy Hollis's and Redshift's STS build notes. I've read that the car can feel very 'vague' without a front swaybar (which is what I assume you were referring to) and the HF hollow bar helps on the turn in and consistency.

What kind of spring rates did you run?
autox89si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2015, 06:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autox89si View Post
I absolutely love the car. It was faster in H-street than my 08 Impreza was in G-street (about 8-9 seconds on our local permanent test n tune course). Just on tires and stock struts with a swaybar, it feels like a giant go-kart and I would've won H-street last year, but I didn't have the car for enough events and lost on participation. With the dismantling of H-street (addition of new Civic Si, Fiesta ST, etc), I wanted to try to move into Street Touring.

I've read a lot of Andy Hollis's and Redshift's STS build notes. I've read that the car can feel very 'vague' without a front swaybar (which is what I assume you were referring to) and the HF hollow bar helps on the turn in and consistency.

What kind of spring rates did you run?
I think you could be competitive with the new Civic Si (I started in an 8th gen Si in GS back in 2010), and Fiesta ST would probably come down to course design. Only thing is tire/wheel width on stock civic wheels leaves a lot to be desired...

Yep, I didn't like the vague turn-in when I ran no front bar.

I run 550lb fronts, 650lb rears but I'm on the spss valved yellows with ST rear bar and HF front bar. When I was on stock yellows I ran 450/550 to save the struts some.

< Like us on FB
Old 02-07-2015, 06:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Very nice. On a college budget, I'd just drive it as is. I have a Fiesta ST as well and I'm faster with it than my civic in CSP form.

2014 Fiesta ST

90civichillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
autocross, autox, civic, civicsi, ef9

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in