rebuilt engine very rough idle - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default rebuilt engine very rough idle

so i got a rebuilt d16 i got it to crank with the spark plug wires not in the correct firing order but when i put them in their correct place it will not crank
ahardy25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

More info please.

The more info you give us, the better answer we give you.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

it will stay running as long as i keep my foot on the gas but when i let off it will died. its a z6 head on a y8 in a 2000 civic hx

Old 01-31-2015, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Can of worms.......

More information is needed but it sounds like you put an obd1 head on and obd2 block.
Check to make sure it's time right.

Next you put a normal vtec head on a car with a vtec -e ecu.
So the vtec is probably staying on.

Also the hx injectors are suppose to be 190cc so if you some how put in the z6 240cc injectors your be flooding the car with fuel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

has eagle rods vitara pistons. 57 trim turbo on a basemap for 10psi til i get it to the dyno. head is stock. chipped p28. has 2 step colder ngk bk7re spark plugs. wires and distributor are good. has dsm 450cc injectors with resistor box. it has a y8 cam gear and a walbro 255 also

Last edited by ahardy25; 02-01-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

robgoof Still a JDM Star....robgoof Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

well come on!

make sure your mechanical timing is correct and that you have the right cam gear,

you also said it will run with plug wires switch around so check that your dizzy is no 180deg out...
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

ok so i can get the motor to idle but when i give it gas to take off it dies. and i did have the dizzy 180 out and fix that. it will fire up with just a tap of the gas pedal and idle.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Mech-an-ic-al ... timing.

Why are you running a y8 cam gear on a z6 head ... it will have the wrong timing marks ... I think. The only time you start swapping those cam gears (IIRC) is to account for the lower deck height on a d15 block, other wise run the cam gear for the head you've got.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Check engine light on? What map sensor?
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

yea i just ordered a adjustable cam gear and stock map sensor but ill change it out with another one to see if it helps. and the guy i bought the motor from had the y8 cam gear on their so idk and yea engine light is on i know because of o2 sensor but i need to check it for other things
Old 02-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 TheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I'm guessing your mechanical timing is off but it's hard to know for sure..

If you check ignition timing with a light, it can also give you a ballpark of your mechanical timing.. like if you have to max the dizzy one way or another to get the right ignition timing then you probably want to check your mechanical timing.. etc..

Last edited by TheSteelBreeze; 02-01-2015 at 12:44 PM.
TheSteelBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

@thesteelbreeze yea that how i figured out i needed a adjustable or z6 cam gear. i also think the basemap im running is some bs might order one from phearable after cam gear install. but overall the motor sounds good. no valve tick no knocking from the block. i have acl racebearings.and this was my first motor build lol
Old 02-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

now it wont start at all i pulled the spark plugs and they were black and smelled like gas.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardy25 View Post
now it wont start at all i pulled the spark plugs and they were black and smelled like gas.
post a pic of the firing order.
if the plugs are black then they arent sparking and you got fuel

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

yea i had them in the right order and i know the dizzy has to work cause the car fired up yesterday and earlier then i did something.i may have flooded it and if my chipped p28 isnt working correctly it wouldnt be able to handle my 450's right? and the car wouldnt crank becasue of too much fuel? im gonna check the mechanical timing tomorrow and get everything ready for the adjustable cam gear.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 satansbrother is learning the way of the Dsatansbrother is learning the way of the D

Dont wash out the cylinders, you wont be happy with yourself if you do.

Now that that is said, check your oil.
satansbrother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

im going with whatever "basemap" it is..

Sounds like you need a tuner and the correct timing,cam, and tune.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

Mechanical timing is off(wrong cam gear). And you will need to reset ignition timing once mechanical timing is established. You probably will need to change your oil because it probably has a bunch of fuel in it.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

alright thanks will change the oil as well and let you guys know what happens
Old 02-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

the timing was so far off dang. idk if you can see and the rotor on the distributor was 180 out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150204_131708.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	735.3 KB
ID:	81377   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150204_131600.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	607.7 KB
ID:	81385  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in