Cheap turbo kit explanations? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Cheap turbo kit explanations?

Hello everyone, I was hoping you guys could answer a few questions for me? I am looking into turbocharging my car in a few months when my savings are in a stable place again (Just converted my car to manual--so they recently took a hit lol). I've been doing some research to prepare for the whole endeavor, and have quite a few questions.

My power goal is as close to 200hp i can get on a d16y8 stock block (was thinking 6-8 pounds? car is my daily) while keeping my reliability. I know: cheap, fast, reliable...pick two....but I feel that you can get a cheap kit, that builds power, that isnt going to self destruct super easily. There has to be!

--

Ok, firstly....ebay turbo kits. I have been doing some reading here and online, and everyone seems to bash them. Are there any decent ones out there? I want to spend around $800 to $1000 max on the entire kit. My problem is i just do not know about turbos at all (I know how they work...but no idea whats good brand wise or what t3/t4 means :s).

What would be a decent kit for that range? Is this kit any good (or would a cast mani be better?):

D Series D15 D16 SOHC RAM Horn Turbo turbocharger Kit | eBay

If not should I go the route of name brand used? I feel uneasy about that for some reason.

--

Secondly, would I need to tune the car right away? I know tuning is an important part to get the most power out of your car, but can I get away without doing it for a while (safely speaking)? The only place I can tune my car is really far, and I work a lot, so i'd have to wait for the stars to align for me to shoot down there.

--

Sorry for all the stupid questions. I'd rather ask though, and deal with the possibility of negative comments, than to just be afraid and not learn anything. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Kyosaur; 12-21-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Kyosaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

That manifold is garbage and it doesnt have a downpipe. What makes that a kit exactly?

Lots of people have had success with chinese eBay parts, but buying them together in a kit is not helping you. You would be better off buying the few eBay parts you want individually (like charge pipes, intercooler, wastegate, and turbo) and going elsewhere for everything else.

If you want to save yourself some headaches, start yourself off with a go-autoworks manifold and downpipe
GO-AUTOWORKS Cast Manifold Combo
then start piecing everything else out from there. It costs a little bit but its a very nice downpipe.

As for tuning, you should go ahead and get yourself running on a chipped ECU with big injectors before anything. That will be a good little chunk of change to start with, but it is a necessity. Dont put yourself in the situation of running out of budget without engine management taken care of.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Main problem with cheap kits is fitment, usually stuff like piping doesn't match up. Next thing is the cheap parts usually don't work right or if they do then they don't last. t3/t4 is a mixed flange that works for either t3 or t4 turbos, you also have t2, t3, t4 and dsm turbo flanges. If you get a t3 turbo you can't use a t2 flange or vise versa, only one that can do that is a t3 turbo on a t3/t4 flanged manifold.

If you get a decent basemap you can start the car and drive it around but I would advise you to schedule a day or two off work to get it tuned asap, I drove 4.5 hours to my tuner and 4.5 back home. Also if you get a cheap turbo kit get a cast manifold, those stainless tube manifolds are garbage

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 20 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!

I always thought a T3/T4 was referring to a hybrid turbo, T3 sized hot side/T4 sized coldside.

maverick75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
That manifold is garbage and it doesnt have a downpipe. What makes that a kit exactly?

Lots of people have had success with chinese eBay parts, but buying them together in a kit is not helping you. You would be better off buying the few eBay parts you want individually (like charge pipes, intercooler, wastegate, and turbo) and going elsewhere for everything else.

If you want to save yourself some headaches, start yourself off with a go-autoworks manifold and downpipe
GO-AUTOWORKS Cast Manifold Combo
then start piecing everything else out from there. It costs a little bit but its a very nice downpipe.

As for tuning, you should go ahead and get yourself running on a chipped ECU with big injectors before anything. That will be a good little chunk of change to start with, but it is a necessity. Dont put yourself in the situation of running out of budget without engine management taken care of.
I kind of thought that menifold was crap tbh, but the fact that it is more money than the original $600 godspeed kit i was looking at had me doubting myself. I had no idea it didnt have a down pipe. Im not really mechanically inclined. I wish I was, believe me, but I've never really got into it (I can do small stuff...brakes...suspension...oil lol). THAT is what makes me not want part something together; I just dont know what Im doing and dont want to bring something incomplete to my mechanic. Are there no decent kits that are complete and decent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
Main problem with cheap kits is fitment, usually stuff like piping doesn't match up. Next thing is the cheap parts usually don't work right or if they do then they don't last. t3/t4 is a mixed flange that works for either t3 or t4 turbos, you also have t2, t3, t4 and dsm turbo flanges. If you get a t3 turbo you can't use a t2 flange or vise versa, only one that can do that is a t3 turbo on a t3/t4 flanged manifold.

If you get a decent basemap you can start the car and drive it around but I would advise you to schedule a day or two off work to get it tuned asap, I drove 4.5 hours to my tuner and 4.5 back home. Also if you get a cheap turbo kit get a cast manifold, those stainless tube manifolds are garbage
I will definitely suck it up and get a tune. There arent kits designed for a d16y8 that are decent? Thousands of people are turboing these engines, so the formula has to be locked in....right? I dont mind spending a little more money on a kit ($1200?) if its decent and complete. I just cant do a $5k build tbh. I wanna leave money for engine upgrades that were recommended, my mechanics labor, and a tune.

Can someone point me in the direction of something decent and complete for that budget? Or do you think it is not happening, and I should just get a top of the line nitrous system (would much rather turbo if I can).
Old 12-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick75 View Post
I always thought a T3/T4 was referring to a hybrid turbo, T3 sized hot side/T4 sized coldside.
That is correct. T4 is a larger flange than the t3.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 PPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PPorting

look around for a used greddy kit, look into spending the magority of your money on tuning software and the tune
PPorting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Heres a good read to learn from.. xome of these parts are no longer used, but youll get an idea and might learn somethiing

G2IC Turbo Guide - A Guide to Turbocharging your Honda / Acura Integra

So far ive read:

you dont have money
your not good with basic mechanic skills
you want to go against 10-15 years of people saying "dont get these cheap kits"

So you want to be the 1st one, with ^^^ all that, to build a 200hp car.

Im telling you straight up. Save for a real kit. search, read, search read, rinse and repeat.

Your not going to be the first to do it, or be the last to try it. whats going to happen is:

1 some shitty part will fail which you will have to replace
2 some shitty part will fail and blow up your engine
3 you will have issues as 200hp is double what the car is designed for, thus breaking or wearing something out.
4 while your fixing/replacing parts, youd better have another car to use.
5 replacing parts with proper parts will just cost you more time and effort. it the real part is 150 and you pay 65 for a cheap one, replacing the cheap one will cost you 215 plus any additional labor.

See where this is going?

buy a real kit, get a real tune, make sure to get proper gauges, wideband, clutch and mounts. If your going to do it, might as well get thousands of miles of satisfaction then 50 miles of headaches
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Last edited by Esotericimage; 12-20-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPorting View Post
look around for a used greddy kit, look into spending the magority of your money on tuning software and the tune
Neptune or Hondata is your best bet.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
Old 12-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Can you weld?
Got power tools such as a grinder, cutter?
Good with wiring?

If the answer is no to all those then I would say pay the extra money and get a bolt on kit from some where.

You might be close to your budget but if your buying new your be over it easily.
A quick break down.
Injectors plug and play $150 to $200
Chip ecu with base map $150
Turbo (an ebay small t3 turbo) $150 to $200
Manifold (ebay cast iron) $80
Wastegate $60 to $100
Oil like kit $50 to $100
Intercooler kit (one that fits) $150 to $200
Blow off valve (since it didn't come with the iC kit) $40 to $60
Misc(gauges, wires hoses, oil change ,coolant, zip ties etc.) $200 to $300

That's just a rough pricing. There is detail pricing in most of the embers b showcase threads tho.

The more work you can do yourself the cheaper things can get. S
Ebay turbos aren't as bad as everyone says. You just got to remember your buying something that is build at a lower quality the the name brand. So you can't push it to what the limits should be. You have to keep it in the middle.

Either way make yourself a detail parts list, find a tuner and see how much they charge. It doesn't matter if you but a brand new $3000 turbo. With no tune you can mess up your motor.
Or with a crap oil line you can blow the turbo.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

like everyone says lol

i suggest saving $$$2k-2.5k Then start deciding if u still want to go turbo or not.

im still piecing together my kit but i know how to. im @ a cost of what? $$750 thats excluding gauges, tap my oil pan, oil sandwich plate And a tune.
Ofc i took MONTHS piecing my kit together
KiNGDEE206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

I appreciate everyone's help. Im looking into either a used name brand one, or piecing one together now. Unfortunately im still not very knowledgeable, so im not making any moves quickly. I did however stumble upon a cheap used greddy turbo for my type of car. Here are some pictures:

used turbo - Imgur

Does this look complete, or at the very least worth checking out/buying? Its pretty cheap. Lets just say its $500 or so. Im nervous because its used, but I think I can at least tell if the turbo is good IRL. I just do not know if it is a real greddy, or if its complete...etc. Wasnt planning on doing anything, but its a once in a lifetime price if its real, complete, and working. Just thought I'd ask.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosaur View Post
I appreciate everyone's help. Im looking into either a used name brand one, or piecing one together now. Unfortunately im still not very knowledgeable, so im not making any moves quickly. I did however stumble upon a cheap used greddy turbo for my type of car. Here are some pictures:

used turbo - Imgur

Does this look complete, or at the very least worth checking out/buying? Its pretty cheap. Lets just say its $500 or so. Im nervous because its used, but I think I can at least tell if the turbo is good IRL. I just do not know if it is a real greddy, or if its complete...etc. Wasnt planning on doing anything, but its a once in a lifetime price if its real, complete, and working. Just thought I'd ask.
I looks like its pretty much there.
Maybe a few odds and ends missing.
If the turbo is good then you can go for it.
I dont like the greddy kit when it comes to replacing the turbo. The kit is make to use there turbo. so if something happens to it, you will need to get it rebuild vs just finding a easy replacement.

there are other turbos that will work with the manifold but then your need to change the downpipe. this is all IF the turbo is bad or goes bad.

Other then that the kit is pretty good and people have made good numbers on them.
I dont like how everything in the picture look dirty but thats what you get when you get used stuff.

. RIP

Old 12-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

I too agree you need to save more money. Nothing is worse than running out of money mid build.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Is this your daily driver?

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
Is this your daily driver?
Your know it is. Lol.....
But yea he did say somewhere that it was his daily driver and wanted it to be reliable.

. RIP

Old 12-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Yes, its my daily.

Anyone else want to chime in on this used turbo? Is it worth ~$500?

used turbo - Imgur
Old 12-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

you can post up hundreds of used turbos..

untl theyre thoroughly inspected, you dont know if it will shine or be a turd.

So your rolling the dice. Hence why buying used stuff is 50/50 on quality.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Yes, its my daily.

used turbo - Imgur
I'd buy that setup after I checked the turbo for shaft play. If the turbo is crap or it smokes too much for your taste, hunt out a td05 18g turbo and elbow and be able to make more power than before.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
Old 12-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:

used turbo - Imgur

Quote:
Yes, its my daily.

used turbo - Imgur
Greddy is just a name brand that everyone cums buckets over. That turbo will get you to 200hp, probably a little higher. But its a terrible design, has terrible exhaust port issues and boost creep problems.

Here is a good kit for you, 200hp is a little on the low end for a turbo kit. 250-300hp is the safe range on a stock block if properly tuned. if you really only want 200hp no more swap in a b-series or a k24 and call it a day, because if you really only want an extra 70hp then your spending a whole lot of time and money on something that will be alot harder than just putting another motor in the car with that much power to begin with.

Godspeed Civic CRX Del Sol D15 D16 D Series Rev T3T4 Full Complete Turbo Kit | eBay

Thats a new kit, and godspeed is actually a decent producer of china turbos. I know they are reliable, i still have my old one in my garage.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in