d15b2 questions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default d15b2 questions

Alright so to start this out this is my first post to ANY honda fourm so yes..noob, and before I get the answers Ive read 1000 times about do your own research...I have and I've found alot of good info, but I've jumped page to page to find it so I lack some answers and I'd appreciate if someone can verify the answers I did find for me before I blow my money and another motor.

Current setup is a
1999 civic ex (ej8?) with a d16y8(blown) stock everything. Bought this car as a gas saver for a good deal and slung a rod 2 months later...shitty luck.

I found a d15b2 for very cheap. I plan on doing a rebuild on it since it has been sitting up for a few years.

What I think I know:
my trans/axels and all will work with this because it's still a d series
d15 is obd1 and d16 is obd2 so I will have to change some connecters to make it hook up correctly and maybe ecu?
The y8 or z6 head would be a better head for a small gain in power
other than that from what I gather it's a fairly simple swap (I'm fairly decent with cars)

What I want to know:
is what I think I know wrong for one..haha
is the d15 worth swapping or is it a waste
For now it will be n/a I'd like to use some better aftermarket parts for a stronger engine if it's worth building.

I'm sure I lack some info but like I said first time here so any help is appreciated..
lost99ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

You would need y sreries oil pump for a functioning knock sensor . IMO I wouldn't waste money building a d15 unless it was going to be turbocharged . Also z6 head need to use z6 distributor so you would need to use y8 guts in the z6 distributor which I think is possible but not sure . I'm sure other people will chime in
spadesEG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Ive heard a alot of replies saying the d15 was best if turbo'd. As fun as it sounds to have a turbo'd civic I don't think the budget allows it at the moment. Also building for a turbo and building n/a is two separate sides of the spectrum right? High compression vs low compression if turbod

Old 12-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Not a DIY, moved to n00b section.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have you checked
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

keep d15 block, look up how to mini me, keep y8 head. swap and have a great day
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

My bad..and cool thanks I think I seen minime stickeyd somewhere I'll look for it
Old 12-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Y series oil pump literally has 0% to do with a knock sensor.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Any help with what ecu I'm gonna need to run or will my stock ecu work
Old 12-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

the d15b2 is obd0. you'll need to extend the fan switch wiring since its on the back of the block on a d15b2. you'll need to swap over the driver's side post mount from your Y8 onto the d15b2 block

if you live in a place with emissions and they actually check, it's not legal to put a motor older than the chassis in the car (cali only, iirc)
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

No emissions checks for me. Is that the only changes im going to have to make to the wiring
Old 12-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

you're going to have to swap over the sensors from your y8 too, iirc. the d15b2 uses different connector styles
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

I'll have to swap sensors from the d16y8 block to the d15 block? With keeping my y8 head the whole top end will remain plug and play correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in