N/A Vitara Build INFO. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default N/A Vitara Build INFO.

I was looking into building a Vitara turbo but I've been leaning towards the N/A route bc it's going to be my daily. I'm working with a D16Y7. Has Aem Intake, y7mani, headers,straight pipe, magna flow exhaust upgraded radiator and hoses, stage 2 clutch n short shifter.

So my question is can you still get good power out of a non turbo vitara and if so how would I do it? If this wouldn't be the right way to go for N/A then what would be?
I'm looking to get a parts list and diy info ..also where n how to get it tuned? What ecu would be best?

The knowledge would be greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to share thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141206_163117_1418147659372.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	78410  
Izzy37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

robgoof Still a JDM Star....robgoof Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

so you are leaning to NA and don't plan on boosting ?

I would use different pistons,not something used for budget turbo engines.

Last edited by robgoof; 12-09-2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: NA d-series= slow
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Yeah a Vitara will leave you with 7.36:1 C/R without custom rods and those weigh more. Keep the rotating assembly as light as possible and up the C/R with some pistons or milling the head.

Tuning will be done with a obd1 ECU, chipped and some tuning software with a laptop, you will need obd2x to obd1 jumper harness (assuming you have a 96-00 car with a d16y7).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks guys so what pistons would you guys recommend for this particular build? I was going to add edelbrock or skunk 2 pro I.M. as well as AEM high flow Fuel Rail and F.P.R.
As for the ECU which are rated for OBD1.. (Po5-P2? And as far as tranny would you guys recommend I go with the older S20 si/ex or stick with the S40? Btw yes I have a 98' ek hatch.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

If its going to be a daily I would just start saving for a swap.
A B20 is going to make it a better, more fun, daily than trying to squeeze power from a Y7.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Im with duder, I am looking at a bigger power plant for my sedan(daily), then build my D for a hatch later(racer boy wanna be car).

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
Im with duder, I am looking at a bigger power plant for my sedan(daily), then build my D for a hatch later(racer boy wanna be car).
good plan, if i had a sedan i would go with a bigger motor too. me and my brother put a B18B in my sister's 93 civic 4 door back in the day. integra was totaled and we found the civic real cheap. it was sweet....
uptownsamcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

I understand that a swap would be most effective for a gain in power but I honestly just want to do all i can to keep a clean D-series. I've Been reading up on them n I've seen you can get big power out of them but obviously it's forced induction that gets the power. Just wanted to see if I had options with it. So I'll probably just do what i can with what i got and be content with a clean semi-quick D rather than a quick B. Once I get another car you better believe I'm gonna boost the shit out of it lol.. But I really appreciate the input guys it's cool to know there's people out there that are willing to share their knowledge
Old 12-10-2014, 05:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all

you have any power goals? what kind of budget are you looking at?

first t hing I would do is change the intake manifold, stock Z6 or Y8 is good. I see you don't have A/C so you can have your pic at whatever turbo manifold you want.

if your not going VTEC just get a obd1 P06 ecu and chip it, bigger injectors and upgrade the fuel pump and that's all you need for fuel. just remember the stock map sensor only reads up to 11 psi. you can always find stuff you need in the classifieds section.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

^^^^yeaaa he said NA doe

OK, Heres my fart in the wind..

Changing pistons on such a small displacement engine isnt going to do much. even with a new intake mani and cams..
Will it be better then stock, yes.

Will you be disappointed in the outcome after dropping 2 grand.. most likely.

You dont need a fuel rail or alot fo what you noted. Realize that just swapping to an OBD1 ecu and tuning will run 4-600 bucks.

I suggest you pick a power goal and over build towards it. If you feel like you want to break open a case for internals, then see what will benefit your build now and any changes you may have in the future.

You could change to 11:1 pistons and still boost on it. Alot depends on what fuel you plan to use.

Sounds like you have alot of soul searching to do because droppin major coin on a hgh comp D wont give you the satisfaction your really looking for.

/.02
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Definately get rid of the Y7 head. PM3 pistons with a Y8 head suppose to give a good compression bump if I'm not mistaken....
Old 12-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

I like my d17z6 vitara motor ... but it's gonna get boosted later. I can out torque just about any stock b-swap you throw at me ... but they'll run away from me up top.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
I like my d17z6 vitara motor ... but it's gonna get boosted later. I can out torque just about any stock b-swap you throw at me ... but they'll run away from me up top.
Maybe a b16 or b17, don't think so for a b18 or especially a b20
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

sometimes I forget there is a B17.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
doh.. nevermind.. I see you said stock Bseries..

I was about to say "challange accepted" lol

Old 12-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
Maybe a b16 or b17, don't think so for a b18 or especially a b20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
doh.. nevermind.. I see you said stock Bseries..

I was about to say "challange accepted" lol
Yep "most" and "stock" ... how many stock b18s are making 130 wtq? I think the B20s even are rated around 130 tq at the crank.

I accept your challenge any way in the spirit of friendly competition and shits and giggles.

Back on topic ... OP there are way better choices for a budget N/A build. Those aren't the pistons you're looking for.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx

Last edited by AutoXCivic; 12-11-2014 at 08:12 AM.
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Well my B20 is putting down 166/142 at the wheels and I wouldnt mind a casual walk in the park..

Sorry to hijack your thread.. Back on topic

Last edited by Esotericimage; 12-11-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

vitara pistons compression are very low and would be useless with out a turbo. try to find anything with atleast 10:1 compression piston because stock is about 9 something:1 if you want more power. boost can be just as reliable as n/a if you do it right
ahardy25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in