D16z6 head on d15b bottom confusion - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Post D16z6 head on d15b bottom confusion

(New to the forum) I believe I have a d16z6 head with a d15b bottom end inside my hatchback.
But Iam confused because i cant determine whether i have a vtec d15b bottom or a non vtec d15b bottom.

Questions:

1.)Does just having the Vtec soleniod make the d15b bottom vtec, becuase the p08 d16z6 head I have on top of the d15b has it .

2.)Does it matter if the d15b bottom is non vtec while running a vtec head.

3.) Can the stock crankshaft of the d15b handle a t3/t4 turbo boosting at 8-10 psi with a built motor tuned.
Zakshatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

1) head is only vtec, block is a block
2) google (or search) a mini me.
3) google what causes rods to break. hint, its not psi.
4) search and read before asking questions.
5) ???
6) be a smarter member of d-so and profit
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 0 p-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's asshole

The crankshafts aren't what you end up worrying about, the rods are.

The cylinder block doesn't effect vtec, besides removal of an oil 'thingy' that'l fuck with Vtec yo

Some of the d15's have weak rods, some of them have typical d16 strength rods as far as I know.

OP maybe you should read this, it seems pretty legit. http://www.angelfire.com/dc2/cyber13/minimeinfo.html

Last edited by p-m-b,95dxcoupe; 11-01-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: fix'd
p-m-b,95dxcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-m-b,95dxcoupe View Post
The crankshafts aren't what you end up worrying about, the rods are.

The cylinder block doesn't effect vtec, besides a single oil line that needs to be re-routed if you're installing a vtec cylinder head on a non-vtec block.
so d-series heads require a oil line be re-routed? or do they require a plug to be removed. stop talking.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

I was just wondering about the crankshaft because I know that the d15b bottom can carry d16z6 rods and d15b vitira pistons but was just wondering if i could improve the crank as well.
Now for the actual head is there anything that could be faulty or improved besides the camshaft or spring retainers.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

D-series.org - Search Forums
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 0 p-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakshatch View Post
I was just wondering about the crankshaft because I know that the d15b bottom can carry d16z6 rods and d15b vitira pistons but was just wondering if i could improve the crank as well.
Now for the actual head is there anything that could be faulty or improved besides the camshaft or spring retainers.
You're not allowed to ask questions without them being new and exciting. Otherwise you get yelled at because at some point, atleast 1 person asked the same question and hopefully the answer isn't impossible to find.

Everything could be broken or everything could be in perfect shape. Thats why diagnostic tests were invented, to find out. Most things could be replaced for improved parts, some things are going to be exceedingly expensive to replace.

The exhaust guides like to leak, if its like sub 5% it won't effect engine operation but it won't run very clean. I have one that leaks like 30psi @ 100 psi and its a catastrophic problem.
p-m-b,95dxcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

I thought that my first question was somewhat unique but in the future ill keep in mind not to ask questions that are covered in old threads.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

The only way to know for sure is to take the head off the block. You will then see the piston code on the top of the piston.

PM3 is not vtec
P08 is obd1 jdm vtec

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

theft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Also look for an oil jet on the firewall side center of the block. Only vtec blocks will have the oil jet and if the oil jet isn't present you will need to locate one and install or vtec will never work. I have done several mini me conversions and I know that at least three different versions I've done are in threads on this site.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

my build thread:::: z6 block forged internals with a y8 head with comp 59300 cam and springs, NOW boosted

theft-repo-sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by theft-repo-sol View Post
Also look for an oil jet on the firewall side center of the block. Only vtec blocks will have the oil jet and if the oil jet isn't present you will need to locate one and install or vtec will never work. I have done several mini me conversions and I know that at least three different versions I've done are in threads on this site.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
are you sure about that?

"VERY IMPORTANT: If you have a D15 block (or any D-series block with an oil jet for that matter), you need to make sure that you remove the oil jet between cylinders 2 and 3 when you do this swap. If you don’t, you won’t have VTEC. I forgot to pull the oil jet out the first time. You won’t get a code, your ECU will say your solenoid is fine and everything is working great but VTEC will not actually engage. Make sure you remove the oil jet. I took a screw, screwed it into the oil jet, and then pulled it out with a pair of pliers."
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Truth, Oil jet needs to be removed.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

theft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

oops yeah. just went into the basement and double checked. the oil jet is present in the head of sohc vtec cars. so remember to remove the jet in non vtec blocks. rep to ya'll who caught that.

my build thread:::: z6 block forged internals with a y8 head with comp 59300 cam and springs, NOW boosted

Last edited by theft-repo-sol; 11-02-2014 at 07:42 PM.
theft-repo-sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

I believe that was already done with the previous owner of the car as the car does hit v-tec around 4500-5000 area. But thank you for the information on the oil jet none the less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
d15b crank, d15b vtec, d16z6 build, d16z6 head, single cam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in