New here! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default New here!

How's everyone doing? I own a 98 civic coupe I've done a few things to it so far new wheels, coil overs, cheap ebay intake and exhaust (unfortunately) I'm a college student on a tight budget. Owned the car for 2 years this November it has the D16y8 and manual trans. It was a one owner before myself needless to say it's a jewel. I'm not a complete noob when it comes to engines and I'm a quick learner. Haven't had time to do much with it as of yet but that's why I'm here. I already purchased a compete seal kit for the engine and I am planning on trying to install it this winter once I'm on break considering the car is about to hit 140k miles and it definitely loves spitting oil out. I'll have about a months worth of time to work with and will have plenty of help when the time comes but we're GM guys bought the car for a nice dd and fell in love . I was wondering if I could get some guidance on here to where to begin my studies. Any info will be greatly appreciated! I plan to start looking through threads on here but I figure some of you guys who've been around a while could lead me in a good direction to start at!

Thanks,
Pics will come soon!
iiDriveSlowbutLow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 DontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

If your just doing a stock rebuild just use a helms or google d16 rebuild theres a very detailed write up with pics. Also theres android apps for torques specs. If you bought an ebay kit dont use valve stem seals get oem valve stem seals, head gasket, thermostat. Googles your friend if you can work on gm's devil engines honda a walk in the park lol
DontGrabMeThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Welcome,
Look around and get some ideas on what you wanna do to the ride. Also when you can post those pix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

This is the ride. Thanks for the info on those gaskets ill make sure and keep that in mind, along with a helms manual. At this point its looking to be a stock rebuild, when upgrading internals where is tthe best place to start? If i have funds ill do some upgrades since ill have the engine apart but like i said im blind to these engines still.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141016_185739.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	778.1 KB
ID:	74786   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141016_185545.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	985.2 KB
ID:	74794   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141016_185726.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	713.7 KB
ID:	74802  
Old 10-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

And heres another
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141016_185526.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	963.6 KB
ID:	74810  
Old 10-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Best place to start depends on where you want to end up. Turbo? K-swap? N/A?

Or you could be like a lot of us and change your goals three or four times. Come on down the rabbit hole good sir.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Im wanting to go down the turbo path, but still being new to it all im still looking into what im gonna do. Ive thought about swaps but im not educated enough on honda engines yet to even know where to begin. Iv got a general basis on how forced induction works and what it takes to get there but id love larger displacement!
Old 10-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 DontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to all

J series is the honda big blocks. If your on a budget mind just look through the showcase and see what pistons rod combo seems to be the answer
DontGrabMeThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiDriveSlowbutLow View Post
Im wanting to go down the turbo path, but still being new to it all im still looking into what im gonna do. Ive thought about swaps but im not educated enough on honda engines yet to even know where to begin. Iv got a general basis on how forced induction works and what it takes to get there but id love larger displacement!
Just do some heavy reading and our get all the information you need.
The D motors are pretty easy and cheap to turbo and will normally net you more power then a swap for the same price.

And boost is the replacement for displacement.. lol
but you can check into swaps. Normally its the B motors or K.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Welcome.

Around $500.00 for a rebuild kit for the motor, rings, gaskets, seals, etc. Then you would be good to go for another 140K.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Well I dig the 1.7 crank swap I did, granted it's not a whole lot more displacement ... but right now I can out torque any stock B swap ... hp ... kind of a different story.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 10-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Yeah the turbo route is the one im gonna take plus everyone ive gotten to talk to says the y8 is a decent engine to boost and play with, and yeah ive been reading more and more especially today lol but i still have a couple months before i could do anything cause i live on campus and need my car to get around. I just have to many toys to play with to and dont know which one to invest in yet. I have a 31 model chevy coach that im just dying to tear into and a 84 model square body that i wanna do a tranny swap in. So i may leave it at a stock rebuild at this point so i know i have a nice reliable dd because at this point that engine is begging me to refresh her, and it has to happen soon.

But i really do appreciate you guys helping me out its awesome to still see people jump right in and help and not be rude or a smart ass about it!
Old 10-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Well the funny thing about this place is ... if you present yourself and your questions in a respectful and proper manner ... you will be treated as such. Welcome enjoy your stay.

I like this "n00b" ... can we keep him?!

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 10-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
Well the funny thing about this place is ... if you present yourself and your questions in a respectful and proper manner ... you will be treated as such. Welcome enjoy your stay.

I like this "n00b" ... can we keep him?!
Well i like to think "you get what you give" so i like to stay respectful because i enjoy respect.

And, YES please keep me around this forum is very helpful, especially when your getting advice from people with experience!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Welcome
ghostz32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in