Question before I buy my first Honda - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Question before I buy my first Honda

Hey guys I'm planning to buy friends 96 dx hatch, with a d16y8 swap. Thing runs good been in it multiple times. The only thing that worries me is the guy who did the swap used a hacked up engine harness apparently. Vtec doesn't engage and apparently it's missing some sensors. My question is, since he's been running the car like this for a lil while, will it harm the engine? I plan to replace the engine harness as soon as I can, but I don't want this thing to blow up in my face sometime down the road.

thanks in advance for any help! it is much appreatiated
s0nic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

There is no telling. I would have to know what sensors are missing and see it run to know if its caused any problems.

Most sensors that would be left undone would be iat, vtec, crank sensor.
Other then that and it might not run.

But since your planing on getting a new harness it would work for you.
Swap the harness as soon as you get the car and go over everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 TurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Compression testing takes about 15 min, that will tell you how healthy the motor is.

If you think its in good enough condition buy it and replace the missing sensors and get running like it should be.

Good luck with it
TurboD206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 TheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

well... i think the fact that you're asking this question in the first place gives us some insight on how knowledgeable you are about cars/hondas..

just know that it's going to be a project to pull out that harness and sort through that guys mess..

if it were me.. i'd comp test it with a little rental autozone kit.. if the numbers looked good then i'd buy it if the price is right.. knowing that it's going to be weekend/s of working on a car instead of having some other kind of fun or taking care of some other responsibility.. and a harness, maybe more..

TheSteelBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

R&R a harness isn't difficult. Easiest solution for you is to source another non vtec harness for the car and purchase a vtec add on harness such as This
It will add all the needed wires for vtec in your chassis.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in