newbie comp cam install problem clunk noise - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default newbie comp cam install problem clunk noise

this is my first engine ive ever messed with really, its a d16y8 out of a 99 civic ex. its automatic and everything is bone stock. i got my hands on a z6 stock cam awhile back and put it in, ran no problem. recently got a brand new comp zex cam for a d16z6 for 100 bucks on CL still in original plastic. warranty included.

i found this thread which says he swapped it with stock everything no problem.
D16Z6 Comp Cams 59300 dyno test - Honda-Tech

now i installed mine with an aem cam gear, and did a valve lash adjustment all to stock spec.

it started up just fine, but my iacv is faulty (think its my ecu i rewired and bought new iacv) so i couldnt break the cam in with the wierd idle without mushrooming it unless im mistaken.. but also my timing belt became loose on the left side where its suppoesd to be tight. so i redid it.

and this is where the problem began. i start the car, its running doing the weird idle. i put it into drive, the idle drops and steadys out, all of a sudden a HUGE clunking noise came from the engine. I shut it off imediatly, removed the valve cover, and nothing seams to be bent or damaged that i can see from the top.

I have no idea what the clunk was, but it really scared me. someone please tell me my car isnt done for.
valoskate420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 DontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

How bigs the cam? Did you drop a valve? Your going to have a weird idle if its not tuned for it i believe. We had to create vaccuum leaks to keep my buddys cammed ls civic idling on a stock map
DontGrabMeThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Comp Cams and Zex #59300
Adv Duration [email protected]
___Int/Exh__Int/Exh_Lobe Sep_Gross Lift
PRI..232........190........111..........300
SEC.236........194........115..........310
VT...260........220........107..........455
EXH.268........216........111..........430

all the valves are still in the springs for sure so i dont think i dropped one

Old 10-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 DontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to all

Were you driving when the clunking happened? Do you know where the sounds coming from?
DontGrabMeThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2014, 04:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 SOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatness

is the AEM cam gear for Z6 or Y8?
Hondata S300/P28, Innovate LC1 wideband

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOHC_STUDENT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

the gear is for a z6 I believe. i got it on CL from a dude building a vitara build. but the car is off the ground so it didnt move when i heard teh clunking
Old 10-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Can the motor be turned over by hand without binding and is it timed correctly?
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by valoskate420 View Post
the gear is for a z6 I believe. i got it on CL from a dude building a vitara build. but the car is off the ground so it didnt move when i heard teh clunking
youve got a lot of stuff going on there

first off 59300 will not idle with out tuning period

what is your cam timed at with your z6 comp cam and z6 aem cam gear on a y8 block and head?
racejunke13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

the motor does turn by hand and it seamed to start up just fine before i reset the timing belt. i also have a code for my linear solenoid failing but i dont think that has to do with the noise i heard.
i retarded the gear a half a tooth, thats about as far as i know to what its timed at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in