ef hatch daily/beater project - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Everything Else » New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default ef hatch daily/beater project

Hi guys. So My primary car and current daily is a white 2014 Scion FRS. I love the car to death and have many plans for it that i rather would not get ruin by salt and snow that we occasionally get here in Vancouver.

So I decided to pick myself up a beater/winter daily that I would drive for the small portion of year where our government salts the road and we would have occasionally snowfall.

Being that my primary ride is already so much fun to drive, i want to find something that is also fun to drive. I've always love the old school feeling on old honda, the simplicity interior to the boxy exterior. So I found myself the cheapest EF Si Hatch i can find that isn't rusted out (most ef or eg hatch in the area have big rust problems) and that came with winter tires lol. Ended up with a 91 Black Si Hatchback with stock D16a6 approx 330k km, skunk2 header random brand exhaust and no name coilovers.

I was in love after i spent a day with it just driving around.

Now I hope to get it back in reliable working condition, looking forward to the first winter i will spent with it.

As its current states it is drivable but several issues must be address ASAP:
-Driver side door is mess up, unable to lock or unlock.
-Needs a new clutch
-Engine oil leaks, so far i've identify valve cover, oil pan and possible rear seal leak. I hope head gasket is holding up heard that quite expensive to replace…
-CEL is on. Hopefully its something as simple as needing to replace O2 sensor
-Need a Tune up and Fluid change

I've never had a high mileage car before, it will be a learning process for me. Will be frequently this forum a lot learning and politely asking question. Hoping to start a build thread once i start getting some work done on it.
nyfries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2014, 05:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 98givicex is learning the way of the D98givicex is learning the way of the D

Door lock: it may be that the door is from a different car(this happened to me on my civic) you could get new locks or possibly a keyless entry.
Clutch: OEM clutches are fine as long as you're not planning on pushing a lot of power
Oil Leaks: Everything besides the head gasket should be relatively cheap and easy to replace.
CEL: take it to your local auto parts store and have them run diagnostics
Tune up: order parts or pick them up at local parts store.

I actually am in the same deal as you, i have a 2013 FRS and a 98 ex as my daily/beater for winter
1998 Honda Civic ex coupe(Workhorse/beater)
98givicex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

cool to see another 86ed here!

Door lock: yes it from a different car, any idea where to buy new locks for a car this old?
Oil leaks: thats just from my noob inspection, hopefully there is not any leaks any where else. if it does leak from anywhere else i hope its not so severe that i have fix it right away lol. leak a whole puddle of oil in my apartment parkade over night, dipstick reading still looks good though. also don't have a driveway or a garage to diy this. hopefully the shop won't rape me too much for it.
CEL: Took it to lordco already they don't have diagnostic tool == read up a bit on it seems like i can read it by shorting the pins myself gonna give that a try.
Tune up: definitely going to diy this once all the leaks are fix

reading your signature yours one step ahead of me lol i bought a beater so i can work on my main car and now my main car is the daily and my beater is being worked on lol

Old 10-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 98givicex is learning the way of the D98givicex is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfries View Post
cool to see another 86ed here!

Door lock: yes it from a different car, any idea where to buy new locks for a car this old?
Oil leaks: thats just from my noob inspection, hopefully there is not any leaks any where else. if it does leak from anywhere else i hope its not so severe that i have fix it right away lol. leak a whole puddle of oil in my apartment parkade over night, dipstick reading still looks good though. also don't have a driveway or a garage to diy this. hopefully the shop won't rape me too much for it.
CEL: Took it to lordco already they don't have diagnostic tool == read up a bit on it seems like i can read it by shorting the pins myself gonna give that a try.
Tune up: definitely going to diy this once all the leaks are fix

reading your signature yours one step ahead of me lol i bought a beater so i can work on my main car and now my main car is the daily and my beater is being worked on lol

Sounds like you have a good plan then! Any plans on mods for the civic? Or do you just wanna get it running right? And yeah, my frs mainly sits in the garage/driveway while I plan what I should do to it. I've also been working on small upgrades for the civic though, but mostly just general maintained stuff.
1998 Honda Civic ex coupe(Workhorse/beater)
98givicex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98givicex View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan then! Any plans on mods for the civic? Or do you just wanna get it running right? And yeah, my frs mainly sits in the garage/driveway while I plan what I should do to it. I've also been working on small upgrades for the civic though, but mostly just general maintained stuff.
Ofc I want to mod it haha. But the priority rigt now is get it to reliable running state and to undo or re do any shoddy works by the previous owners.

Will slowly adding little things here and there but the 86 is the primary focus
Old 10-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

and here she is

Old 10-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular

Woo shes A beaut I love that black looks good man. And driver door lock has happened to me with both hatches ive had. Never really bothered me enough to fix it.
mitchwbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

should i lose the tint or no? what do you guys think?

i'm pretty sure it has been in a front end collision some point in her life… i swear the front driver left side frame is bent some how the fender don't line up and the hood prop doesn't lie flat. can't wait to see what else i discover with her history lol
Old 10-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

I'm in the same boat too, my 2004 STI needs a get away from the salt so I got a 91 black Si. Car looks solid, they're fun little cars and perfect for a daily for sure. Putting a z6 in my now.
efsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

That's a pretty nice looking ED.

:thumbsup:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in