New to the forum! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default New to the forum!

Hello all!

My name is Aaron and I'm from Washington State! I've owned a few different hondas now including a CRX si, 1994 ex coupe, 1998 ex coupe, and my current car, a 1995 DX coupe. All of these cars had single cams. I've always preferred single cams over DOHC for a few reasons, they're cheaper, they make good torque numbers, etc.

I'm working on my 5th single cam right now, which will be going in my 1995 civic coupe when I'm done with it. Here's the car as it sits today, not much to look at, pretty much stock other than amber corners, a spoon rep lip I got from a friend for free and progress 1 piece suspension that I got for $160 from some guy on a local facebook forum.

I bought it with 373whp/319tq from a guy with receipts/dyno sheet from speedfactory. It was a 76mm vitara build with eagle rods, ACL bearings, ARP headstuds, a zex 59300 cam, competition stage 4 unsprung clutch, precision 880s, etc.

anyway, long story short I bought this car running and driving, everything was awesome and after 2 separate test drives of it and deciding it was worth the $3,000 he was asking, I bought it and spun a bearing on the way home. I contacted the seller and he gave me $300 back, which while it wasn't much it was at least something, and I didn't even expect that. Turns out he was a pretty cool guy.

Anyway, I've got a build in the works right now, I currently have in my posession some skunk2 alpha rods, 75.5mm vitaras with hastings rings, ACL bearings, and a good stock z6 crank which are all going in a D16A6 block I just picked up with a spun bearing. I'm gonna re-use the z6 head that came with the car, but I will be running a bisimoto 3.6 cam instead of the 59300. Additionally I will be buying a precision turbo, still trying to decide which one I will be going with. I'm shooting for 400+ on the dyno which I believe is more than possible with this setup. It will be de-tuned to whatever I later determine is a good number for road racing, which is where I plan to spend most of my time with this car, and the reason I haven't quite figured out which turbo I'm gonna go with. However, I will still drag it from time to time as well, which is where the 400+ I'm shooting for will definitely help.

For the time being I bought a stock z6 and threw it in the car. The ebay T04E turbo was blown and smoking like a chimney so I bought a rebuild kit, slapped it back together, and put the kit on the stock motor. I have an appointment set up for a tune at speedfactory, so it's sitting until next wednesday.
iSpinBearings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Why I dont buy other peoples projects any more. Build my own so I know the maintenance schedule and way in which parts were applied and installed.

Show us some more pics, sounds like it should be a good time after the rebuild and tune. Welcome to DSO, a wealth of knowledge you probably didnt even know you needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
Why I dont buy other peoples projects any more. Build my own so I know the maintenance schedule and way in which parts were applied and installed.

Show us some more pics, sounds like it should be a good time after the rebuild and tune. Welcome to DSO, a wealth of knowledge you probably didnt even know you needed.
I definitely won't be buying anyone else's projects anymore... I was really skeptical about it and now I know why... but hey, live and learn. I'm having fun with the build now!

That was fun.

Here's the car 24 hours after I bought it, can you guess the original color?

I'm no expert, but I'd say this was the rod that had the spun bearing...

Here we go, new motor in!

The stock clutch I had laying around was slipping, so I pulled the trans back out and threw the stage 4 in... Nothing like driving a stock single on a stage 4 unsprung clutch. Haha

Old 09-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

After a week of driving it around the clutch slave cylinder went out, so I threw it back up on jackstands to fix that and said, eh what the hell might as well throw the turbo kit on it. I grabbed some DSM 450s from a friend, a turbo rebuild kit from ebay, and used the rest of the kit I had laying around.

Bad news, spun main bearing in this motor... WTF man.

Throw some ACLs in there, cross some fingers, take a selfie, and see what happens. The crank seemed fine and if it spins again it spins again.

Hey look it runs. And it needs a tune. Really bad. Here's a link to a video of it running like poo. It obviously needs a tune. haha

Instagram
Old 09-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Looking like it had a red hue before some one sprayed it lol.

Live down south of ya in Brush Prairie, looks like we have a good group of Washington single cams around, might have to set up a meet next summer. Keep it up man, looks like you are about ready for ripper vids......

edit: sounds good...need more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 0 colelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to colelmt

Good Luck and Welcome! Sucks you threw a bearing twice.

D16Z6

EJ255

Last edited by colelmt; 09-22-2014 at 02:36 PM.
colelmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

Watch out. 3rd time is the charm.

Welcome to the D. Thanks for posting pics. Gives us a big picture of what you're going threw fuuuu!

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Damn man that sucks. Do you beat on it when its cold?

Nice to see you keep going, though. Good man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
Looking like it had a red hue before some one sprayed it lol.

Live down south of ya in Brush Prairie, looks like we have a good group of Washington single cams around, might have to set up a meet next summer. Keep it up man, looks like you are about ready for ripper vids......

edit: sounds good...need more.
I'd definitely be down for that! I would be happy to help organize it or whatever, PM me if you'd like to discuss this any further!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colelmt View Post
Good Luck and Welcome! Sucks you threw a bearing twice.
Yeah, I've actually spun 5 separate single cam bearings now, the first was a y8 in my 98 coupe, need I say more? one was a blown headgasket which turned into a spun bearing as well, it was on a super janky d15 block with a z6 head so I really didn't care at all I hate d15s lol I still have that head in my garage that I'm using for parts, the 3rd one was a tired z6 with over 350k miles on it that I traded a set of SI wheels for, the 4th was this vitara built one that came with the car. The 5th was the main on the motor that I have in there now, and I've put about 100 miles on the motor with the ACLs slapped in there and no issues yet, but believe me I'm knocking on some serious wood as we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata View Post
Watch out. 3rd time is the charm.

Welcome to the D. Thanks for posting pics. Gives us a big picture of what you're going threw fuuuu!
So then what's the 6th time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Damn man that sucks. Do you beat on it when its cold?

Nice to see you keep going, though. Good man.
Never beat on them until well after I see the temp gauge where it's supposed to be, and I check my oil very regularly. I just have literally the worst luck when it comes to single cams for the ones I do care about, and the ones that I don't I just think it's funny when they spin at this point. Between my roommate and me we can literally swap a honda motor on a weeknight after work. my friends all give me SOOOO much crap about how many bearings I've spun. I just think it's funny. It's either laugh or cry I guess.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

I got a base map put on the ecu, I've been babying it around until I can get in and get my tune, but so far so good with the ACL mains... Like I said I'm knocking on some serious wood. Ignore the flutter haha it's a lot better now, but I still have some adjusting to do.

Instagram
Old 09-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

I got my AEM UEGO wideband for the car, thanks Speedfactory!

It's running pretty lean at idle and under very light load, which from my limited knowledge of tuning isn't a huge deal. I'd definitely like to clean it up a bit and give it a little more fuel just for my own comfort. It's not cutting out under very light load/cruising but the AFRs are between 16.5-17.5. as soon as I get into any type of load they level out to about 15.0 which again is a bit on the lean side. I've been watching AFRs like a hawk and they're consistently between 11.3 being the richest, the leanest I've seen so far is 12.3, which I can live with when it starts creeping into boost.

I've been playing around with crome a bit, and looking around on the internet for all kinds of write ups and manuals for it. I've decided that I will be tuning my own car, I figure I'd rather spend the money learning how to do it myself over paying someone else to do it, just like with anything else I've ever done car related. I've found a TON of useful information from several different sources and been playing around with crome making different basemaps for different setups, adding boost, different injectors, etc. Obviously this is not something that I will learn overnight and I don't intend to, right now the goal is to use this motor in my car as a learning experience. and if it goes it goes.

Last edited by iSpinBearings; 09-25-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 98givicex is learning the way of the D98givicex is learning the way of the D

good luck with the build, it's nice to see that you're willing to learn the program. hopefully i will have the patience to do that in the future.
1998 Honda Civic ex coupe(Workhorse/beater)
98givicex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in