Difference in vtec, and question about swap. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2014, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 8 JWilli8200 will become famous soon enoughJWilli8200 will become famous soon enoughJWilli8200 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Difference in vtec, and question about swap.

Ok first off I have searched and I know the technical difference between the different versions of vtec. My question is from a driving standpoint, what is the difference in the 3 stage vtec? I understand it has the economic mode, the normal mode and the high light or vtec mode, but is there a difference as far as vtec change overs and such?
I have driven non vtec, and normal vtec, and he lame intake only vtec. But never driver a 3 stage, and I have a chance to buy a swap for cheap.
So anyone with some experience with a d15b 3 stage vtec, in actual driving condition again lot looking for the technical info, please chime in!

Also, I drive a 97 civic lx with a d16y7, as far as I know to put a y8 motor in all I would need is the complete motor, including the vtec solenoid, and a civic ex ecu? I want it to be a pain free as possible because this will be my first swap. And before anyone says get an obdI ecu, I live in Cali and I like having a legal car that will pass smog inspection.

Thanks to everyone in advance.
JWilli8200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Any vtec d is hardly noticeable. I wouldn't over spend to get it. If the price is right then go for it. Notec is a better platform in my opinion, just cause their is less to break

Get a obd1 p28 easier to upgrade later. No one a checks a ecu while testing for emissions

Last edited by racejunke13; 09-17-2014 at 02:37 AM.
racejunke13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

3 stage is on the intake side only, it will be no different then regular D series VTEC. Just way better fuel economy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by racejunke13 View Post
Get a obd1 p28 easier to upgrade later. No one a checks a ecu while testing for emissions
Yes they do, they plug in a scanner. If it don't communicate then you fail and OBD1 doesn't...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 DontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

If your in cali idk the legallities of emissions there but wouldnt the lean burn cause raised emissions? I forgot the name of the shop but their website posted a bunch of info on how to get 3 stage vtec to work properly even on forced induction setups if i find the link ill post it up
DontGrabMeThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 DontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to all

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...L06rlAkNtLFX3w

Check out ecomodder for more swap info but this is one thing i remember reading
Old 09-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontGrabMeThere View Post
If your in cali idk the legallities of emissions there but wouldnt the lean burn cause raised emissions? I forgot the name of the shop but their website posted a bunch of info on how to get 3 stage vtec to work properly even on forced induction setups if i find the link ill post it up
My understanding of a "lean" condition is that there is less fuel being burned. Which would, theorectially, lower the emissions coming out.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

I thought lean burn increase NOx levels which made it harder to pass emissions i may be wrong though
Old 09-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

It's possible that I am as well. But I'd think if the combusting hydrocarbon was the limiting factor in the burn, it would be easier to acheive a more complete combustion event, thereby creating a cleaner burn.

It makes sense in my head but that doesn't mean science is on my side on this one.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontGrabMeThere View Post
you could do it with crome gold really easily using a "system event"
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 11:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 8 JWilli8200 will become famous soon enoughJWilli8200 will become famous soon enoughJWilli8200 will become famous soon enough

Again I don't want to get into changing to obd 1 and tuning. This is not got to be the fastest civic, there is plenty of kids around where I live going fast enough, but I would like a little more pep, and I'm sure switching to a y8 is going to be enough to put a smile on my face without breaking the bank.
So do I need motor and ecu? From same year I mean, if I get a 97 ex motor and ecu is it just plug and play?
Old 09-18-2014, 04:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

96-98 is obd2a so if you get a 96-98 ex ecu it will be plug and play, if you get a 99-00 you will need a conversion harness from obd2a to obd2b. You will notice a big difference in power climbing hills and stuff (less downshifting) but a stock y8 put a smile on your face, I doubt it.

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

I do quite a lot of downshifting being that I live in a valley and pretty much any drive over 30 miles means climbing multiple hills. So if a y8 would give me a little more power and less work to get it then that sounds exactly like what I want.

To everyone saying switch to obd1 to get more power. First I live in California and yes they do know if you swapped your ecu when you go in for inspection. also I look at it this way, I can get a y8 motor and ecu for around 200$, not only is that motor going to be better down the road if I do decide I need more power, but even if I only get 10hp more from the swap, that equals out to 20$ per 1hp. I would love to see someone find me a better deal to add power to my daily driver.
And that's just it, it's a daily driver for me and my wife. I'm not building a race car. I'm looking to make my daily not such a slouch. I think all that combined will definitely put a smile on my face.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have decided to pick up the y8. I'm currently building a shop in my backyard for auto work so come is winter I'll have a nice warm cozy spot to work.

Thanks agains people. This forum is awesome both for knowledge and just for bullsh!t.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in