Spark plug Gap? D16y8 Vitara - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Spark plug Gap? D16y8 Vitara

Were should the gap be at? NGK plugs, Suzuki Vitara pistons. NGK R.
here are some pics....I was also wondering if they looked like the engine was running a little lean, but not sure.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/x...p1090769-1.jpg

Comming soon..Suzuki V's,TT Rods, Z6 Block, Y8 PNPed head, RamHorn Mani, T3 Super 60 Turbo build :shocked:
Jcazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Wait! Is this NA or Boosted? Your pic isnt working BTW

Vitara builds are usually boosted and this is the NA forum.. So im confused.

Depending on the CFM of the turbo, I did mine around 32 w/o any issues.

Now im NA, Im running 44
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Esotericimage; 09-03-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I'm running whatever gap the ngk 4644 (BKR7E11) come with..
uptownsamcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 TurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunna

depends how much boost your running.. if your blowing the spark out Gap it down

im running .032 on 10psi and it idles great and never blows the spark out

sense we dont know if your boosted.. General rule of thumb is .044 N/A like said above and .032 if your running a boosted setup.

My tuner runs .020 on his drag car because he runs like 30+ lbs of boost

Also your pic you posted is not working for me so I cant see how your plugs look.
TurboD206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownsamcv View Post
I'm running whatever gap the ngk 4644 (BKR7E11) come with..
I believe there 32 out the box.
I check them before installing and thats what i run on my setup.
but also not a vitara just stock pistons.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Flip

If turbo'd, I'd start at .030. If it breaks up, keep goin down. I had to put mine to .013.

Flip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 TurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunnaTurboD206 is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
If turbo'd, I'd start at .030. If it breaks up, keep goin down. I had to put mine to .013.
I figured the bigger gap the better as long as its not blowing the spark out?

correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still learning about tuning
Old 09-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboD206 View Post
I figured the bigger gap the better as long as its not blowing the spark out?

correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still learning about tuning
You are right. Which is why I would start high (.030) and go down in small increments from there. My 350hp build required .024 Now my setup needs .013

Old 09-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

tuned at 23lbs here... and they are gapped at .023 Ive been able to have them at .025 before on less boost... it really comes down to your boost/turbo setup
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular

Had mine at .025 10 lbs stock motor......
mitchwbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series SoCal Division

Rep Power: 16 AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!

You can't just gap a spark plug down and be ok, it has to be in the right heat range.

NGK have heat ranges from: 2 being the hottest to 11 being the coldest.

Most turbo hondas here run NGK 7's which is more on the cold side.

1993 civic dx hatch
jdm d15b vtec obd1
web level 1 cam
15g turbo 13 psi
STOLEN!
AJAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

how do you know when you are blowing spark out. stupid question maybe
Old 09-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

It will run like crap if your blowing out the spark
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post

Old 09-05-2014, 04:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
Doesn't fully answer.
How do you know if your just not too rich or too lean?

. RIP

Old 09-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

That is my car a couple years ago. I adjusted the gap down and it ran perfect.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Old 09-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Doesn't fully answer.
How do you know if your just not too rich or too lean?
When the car blows spark the wideband will peg lean, very distinct engine feel and noise when the car is blowing spark, a car will still run smooth when running lean to an extent, a blown spark like a light switch starts breaking up

If I gap my brk7e's higher than .032 it runs like shit, .028 and its smooth. Running 22-24psi
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2014, 03:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
When the car blows spark the wideband will peg lean, very distinct engine feel and noise when the car is blowing spark, a car will still run smooth when running lean to an extent, a blown spark like a light switch starts breaking up

If I gap my brk7e's higher than .032 it runs like shit, .028 and its smooth. Running 22-24psi
So basically. Boosting running I.e. 11.5:1
Spark plugs out it jumps to 13 something. And car cuts in and out like a switch or rev limiter?

Running to lean the car would just hit lean air fuel ratio 13 something and sound pop corny but hold that lean mixture?

Also if fuel is added and it doesn't change the air fuel then the spark is blowing out?

I know it might be newbeish question but I don't believe I ever deal with speak blowing out.

. RIP

Old 09-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
I believe there 32 out the box.
I check them before installing and thats what i run on my setup.
but also not a vitara just stock pistons.
NO!. the -11 signifies the gap. 1.1mm is .043.

Also, FWIW, Im gapped at a solid .016 and I have a break up issues above 6k, but it is NOT spark blow out. I am going to open my gap, Im tired of the hard starts when cold.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer

Last edited by CaliLegal; 09-06-2014 at 01:01 PM.
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLegal View Post
NO!. the -11 signifies the gap. 11mm is .043.

Also, FWIW, Im gapped at a solid .016 and I have a break up issues above 6k, but it is NOT spark blow out. I am goign to open my gap, Im tired of the hard starts when cold.
talking about the 4464 bkr7e
mines where around 30 to 32 out the box. I check the gap before installing on my turbo setup because i wanted to drop the gap down.

didnt see that he had the 11 added to the part number

. RIP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in