How to remove seized bolts for shock removal? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 04:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default How to remove seized bolts for shock removal?

Bit off topic but what is easiest way to remove a bolt that is rusted and stuck without taking to garage and pay them to do it? It's for the shock removal so I can put lowering springs. I've heard people use some sprays or heat them up but on the shocks, there is a sticker which says do not heat, what does this mean? The ones I can't remove are brake in line and damper fork bolts for the front and for the rear, the LCA bolt. It's for a UK Honda Civic MB3.
h4mza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Have you tried using a long pipe on wrench for leverage?
Old 09-01-2014, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4mza View Post
Bit off topic but what is easiest way to remove a bolt that is rusted and stuck without taking to garage and pay them to do it? It's for the shock removal so I can put lowering springs. I've heard people use some sprays or heat them up but on the shocks, there is a sticker which says do not heat, what does this mean? The ones I can't remove are brake in line and damper fork bolts for the front and for the rear, the LCA bolt. It's for a UK Honda Civic MB3.
Get a can of penetrating oil and give it a healthy dose of it. Let it sit for a few hours to a couple days then get a big ass breaker bar and a thick walled pipe and use your body weight.

The sticker is there because the strut is compressed gas. So with my limited knowledge pf physics and chemistry I would say the heat from a torch could cause the strut to heat up and go boom
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

No need to unbolt the lower damper bolt if you are just swapping springs. Did it on my 91 Civic and 93 Civic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

let some oil soak in there for a few days, then it it with an impact.

anything else will result in a rounded head and much cursing
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Those bolts are siezed solid to the sleeve of the bushing.

The best thing you can do is penetrate for days in advance and then try with an impact on forward then reverse. Back and forth. Over and over until hopefully they will shock loose.

50% of them you will have to cut out with a sawzall. Might as well get some new rear lower control arms before you start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I ended up spraying mines down with some pb blaster for 3 days.
I started spraying when i order the springs and shocks.
Then when the time came they came out pretty easy.
But most of the time these bolts break so be prep for that.
And a little heat on the bolt head wont effect the shock much but it can effect the bushing.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in