Honda D Series Forum banner

Head swap parts

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Evanguy 
#1 ·
I'm burning a lot of oil so I've decided to start to remedy this problem by putting a rebuilt head on my car. This is going to be the farthest I have ever gone into an engine so I was wondering if someone could help me with a list of the additional stuff I will need and what brands to go for or stay away from. I currently have a d16a6 with head code pm4-3. The head I'm getting was rebuilt 9000 miles ago and it head code is pm3-11. I

#2 ·
The head doesnt burn oil. If it just smokes on start up after sitting for a while ten its probably the valve seals in the head but if it smokes when you driving it, ill bet it is your piston rings, which are in the block. you may want to look into a cheap rebuild kit or atleast get some rings and beatings and do a bottom end rebuild and then just replace you valve seals in your head. Tjat will fix the smoking. Also when your in there you can mill the head and do some mild work to male a bit more power.

#3 · (Edited)
head gasket, intake mani gasket, valve cover gasket, hondabond.

cam retainer and dizzy o-ring just to make sure there are no leaks.

timing belt and tensor if they need replacing.

EDIT: i've just read evanguy's post. have you done a leakdown test?

#4 ·
The motor has 241k miles on it and I'm pretty sure its never been pulled apart before. I'm sure the rings need to be done too but I can only afford to do a little work every couple weeks. I came across the used rebuilt head for $200 so I'm gonna grab that with this pay check and maybe get the stuff to do the rings in a couple weeks. This is also my DD so I can't have it apart for more than a weekend at a time.

#5 ·
if it's the rings, no point in a head swap.

do a leakdown test and go from there.

#7 ·
in that case get a engine, slowly rebuild it. when done swap it in. voilà ici.

#9 ·
Have you thought about just replacing your whole engine?
2 of my friends bought low miles engines for like 450 shipped.
Off a website called Japan Engines or something like that. I could ask em if you'd like.
Imo I just think it might be a better idea, unless your trying to build the block.

#10 ·
Yes I have thought about it and at this point I'm not ready to do a swap yet. If I were to do the rings instead of the head could I get away with something like this http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=111049749092&index=13&nav=SEARCH&nid=78171252733

Or is that stuff total crap

I know I would still have to pull the head so maybe there's some seals in there I can change while I'm at it.

I have $200 to work with right now so I'm just trying to figure out my best option right now

#11 ·
I have $200 to work with right now so I'm just trying to figure out my best option right now
Valve spring compresser 20$
valve seals 30$

Ring compressor 25$
rings for a a6 60$
Rod and main bearings acl's 75$
Plastiguage 5$
headgasket 35$

Thats all you should need for a compete rebuild. That would be the est way to spend250 on your motor.

#13 · (Edited)
honestly, i would say ebay. i know others may dissagree. and at majestic honda online you can get an oem y8 head gasket for 28$, so im sure you can find oem ones on ebay for the same if not cheaper, i would use an oem(honda) head gasket, and acl bearings. the rings, im not sure maybe even check hondas prices, and supertec valve seals or anyother company that has a good rep.

you will be able to find every thing i listed on ebay, and if you can get most of it from one seller that will help you save on shipping so try to search some of the bigger sellers ebay stores then you get combined shipping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.