Honda D Series Forum banner

Should I pick up a d15z1

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Redlinedx 
#1 ·
Hey guys. A trader down the road from me is selling a d15z1 block in great condition for about $45 dollers.. should I pick it up and dismantle it and learn to build an engine as I wouldn't have much knowledge and would like to learn.. Is it as hard as it seems. And also what are the d15z1 engines like doesn't seem to be much info. Thanks for looking :TU:

#5 ·
Rubbish is it? im not using it for boost being honest I want it to practise on like taking apart engine and head yeno so i can learn. wouldn't be brave trying anything on my current car in case i fuck up so. would never boost it. its just a block

#8 ·
Wow the BAD info in this post.

Neonpinhead, the Z1 uses same bearings and the D15B1/2/7/8, likely the same block but the water pump/tensioner could be different.

You'll likely be able to get $30 in scrap metal from the motor, perfect for what the OP wants, to learn.

#10 · (Edited)
So many haters on the D15Z1 block!

I've got 4+ years of daily boost on mine, 2.5yrs of that was on 20psi.

Not much you can do to build it with aftermarket internals, if at all, but for a stock block it's very stout for a D15.

Overall the rods are beefier than a D16Z6 but as was said it shares the small rod bearings of the D15's.

Edit: Here is Sir Bone's picture of a D16 rod (left) and the D15Z1 rod (right)

Another Bone shot:

I definitely trust those with some boost. :TU:

#12 ·
Im not looking to aftermarket build it at all I'd only want it mess around with a learn how to dismantle and assemble? plus I could use the block to boost stock and not car about it.. Could I use that block then use my d14 head and maybe a d15 vtec e intake, engine loom and dizzy? Cause if you say you got good stock boost out of it then im sure it can handle a bit.. How much power you reckon you were pushing?

two interesting things also it a has a water-oil cooler/warmer and uses a roller cam. the oil cooler with block bolt is worth 20-30$ to some one buildin a car the will be beaten on.
Why is it worth that much and whats a roller cam? haha sorry for my noobness

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.