D17A2 into 1993 Civic - wiring question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Naturally Aspirated

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D17A2 into 1993 Civic - wiring question

I thought with so many engine swaps being done that I could find more info.... I kneel before you begging for help. We swapped this motor in because it was basically free and seemed simple at the start.

We have the D17 installed with the ECU plugged in to the motor harness. I have the connector from the dash harness. Then of course we have the original chassis wiring harness. I have seen threads talking about mating harnesses together, but no specifics.

I am hoping to find info so I can send the ECU the signals it needs. Is that info availible? Then if I had the chassis wiring harness pinout I could just run the wires. Do I need to go to the dealer for wiring diagrams or has this process been simplified?
HiredGun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

ive never heard of anyone putting an 01+ ECU in an older car, but hey why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

can you post pics of the harness that connects to ecu?

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

might work better if you swap the gauge cluster as well.

or see if the earlier vss's swap over and the d17 ecu will recognize it

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

I do have the gauges...

Here are some picts of the ECU and the chassis wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	6476
Size:	667.9 KB
ID:	29097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	2429
Size:	545.8 KB
ID:	29098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	1263
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	29099  
Old 10-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

if i was to do that i would be sitting down with the d17 wiring diagram and the civic chassis wiring diagram. trace a lot of pinouts, put the d17 cluster in as well, and basically do a lot of splicing and experimenting. the closest thing i have done to this was put a 1991 civic ex auto drivetrain into a 1978 civic wagon and use the 78 harness AND the 91 engine/chassis harness and built custom tie ins for it all to run, it took a few weeks but when it was done it could pass emissions as a 1991 civic.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 the425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Good luck

XBL Gamertag: the425th

Quote:
do i drive with my turbo on or no?
the425th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Easy solution, find free y7 or y8 with s spun bearing and swap d17 internals into it. Then there is no wiring to worrie about!

Jswap 4dr

Boost 4dr

Twin scrol

F2B
turboprelude95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Speedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 40 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboprelude95 View Post
Easy solution, find free y7 or y8 with s spun bearing and swap d17 internals into it. Then there is no wiring to worrie about!
a trend has begun!

240,000 miles and counting turbo EH9
nothing like 4drs, ac,moon roof, and 4 whores and running 13psi out or a ching chong t3/t4 setup
the build

if it survives the winter JdM d15b+Vitara+FJT+25psi=

professional tranny assassin, 2 stock diffs in 4 weeks on street tires and preload was used
Speedjunky01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Where is the best place to get wiring harness information?

I guess I should have just found another D15 beater engine to throw in...
Old 10-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all

the factory service manual is a great place to start.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

do you know what the wires are for in that big flat gray plug in the first pic you posted?

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 13 BLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

just swap a p28 ecu in it and be done
BLACK-KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

p28 will not run it correctly. the fuel and igition maps are pretty different, one factor being the different RTSR.

different quench, different sensors.

oh by the way creakin coil on plug ignitions!!

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
do you know what the wires are for in that big flat gray plug in the first pic you posted?
that is the connection from the ecu to the chassis. I went to the dealer with that harness in hand. They could not help. hopfully a printout i got for the ecu matches that. at least I got a start...
Old 10-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

without the factory wiring diagrams you have a steep hill to climb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in