Scca Classification! Please - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Races/Shows/Events Just Racing

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 golferman15 is learning the way of the Dgolferman15 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Exclamation Scca Classification! Please

Ok so did my first autocross event on sunday with my 1997 honda civic ex, with header, short ram intake, and just a high flow muffler and they put me in the STS class.

My actual race car is still in the midst of getting worked on and I was wondering what class I would be in? I have a 1994 honda civic coupe with a
jdm b16 sir 2 engine and tranny in it with no lsd whatsoever. The engine has no powersteering and no air conditioning. It also has a 4-1 header with no cat and a short ram air intake with a high flow muffler but I have all stock exhaust piping. For suspension I have tokico hp blue shocks/struts and H and R sport springs with front and rear upper strut bar towers. I also have all rear polyurethane bushings put in except I have the oem rear trailing arm bushings. I am planning on putting in the front poly bushings in but not til after my next race because of time constraints.

I have been reading the scca classifications and can't figure out what class I would go in? Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in, moderators feel free to move it.

Also, if these mods put me into a way high classification would there be 1 or 2 simple things that I could do to my car to maybe drop into a lower class.

Thanks for your time, golferman15
golferman15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TransformedBG

Your going to fall into a prepared class. Because you have a swap in your car you have to fall in to a higher/faster class.

My 01 civic falls under something like C prep cause i have a k-swap and SC...

You could run in NASA in like the H1/H2 class i belive
TransformedBG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 golferman15 is learning the way of the Dgolferman15 is learning the way of the D

NASA is totally different then SCCA right? but that is what I was thinking I was leaning alot towards the C Prep class! Thanks
Sorry I guess I didn't specify that I was doing SCCA! lol

Last edited by golferman15; 04-30-2008 at 08:19 AM. Reason: more info

Old 04-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Yeah NASA is different but if you want to use that car and not get owned then it would be the way to go.

I do local auto X's in my SC'ed Civic, in most we created a new class called SSM where basically you can have what ever mods you want just have to have a tire with a tread wear of 150 or greater.

Other than that remember when running SCCA read the rules then build car to suit rules.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 hondajosh will become famous soon enoughhondajosh will become famous soon enoughhondajosh will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Do you have interior in the car?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hondajosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

yes I have full interior in the car, If I totally gutted it would it put me in a diff class?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 latapx  is accepted as part of the communitylatapx  is accepted as part of the communitylatapx  is accepted as part of the communitylatapx  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

with an interior and a swap you can run Street Mod. With no interior and a swap you'll fall into a prepared class....most likely CP from what I've read. In either case, you're likely to get killed with a car that has limited preparation so just go out there and have fun and don't worry too much about the times.

Like what I had to say??? - Add REP!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 FARA MP-4B Sprint & Endurance Champion
latapx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

So what other preparation could i do to my car to make it more competitive?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Stuff in street mod is usually stuff with some wild suspension and power adders. You could turbo your B16 up to God knows how much hp and stay in the same class...

Or, see if your local club has a street tire PAX as suggested... they are more a "run what ya brung" kinda class, where everyone on street tires competes.
'90 Mazda Miata - Weekend Fun Car
'04 Toyota Prius - Wife / family car
shifty35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 vietnameeh will become famous soon enoughvietnameeh will become famous soon enoughvietnameeh will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

its actually gonna be in E prepared if u plan on running aprepared class.. since you already have a swap... just take out the rear seats and that will keep you legal for SM
#84 SCCA FSP CIVIC *80whp FTL!
#69 SCCA STX CIVIC *STS car FTW!
"Your Lugnuts have more Torque than my Motor"
2008 SF SCCA FSP CHAMPION
vietnameeh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

So you are saying that I will be running in the E prepared category as of right now? but if I take out the rear seats then I will run in SM? wouldn't I want to run in the E prepared rather than the SM class?
Old 04-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 vietnameeh will become famous soon enoughvietnameeh will become famous soon enoughvietnameeh will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

no im saying i u decide to gut your car EP will be ur class...

trust me EP is real crazy class u dont want to be in there, SM is crazy too but either way your pretty much have no choice...

i say run SM ... leave your interior if u want your allowed to remove the backseats in SM..
#84 SCCA FSP CIVIC *80whp FTL!
#69 SCCA STX CIVIC *STS car FTW!
"Your Lugnuts have more Torque than my Motor"
2008 SF SCCA FSP CHAMPION
vietnameeh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

So what makes me go into EP or SM rather then CP? I have a friend with a swap in his civic and it is chipped with slicks. Granted it is not a jdm swap but it is still a swap. Does the fact that I have a jdm swap put me into the EP or SM category depending on if I strip the car or not? I do not have slicks, I just have all season goodyear eagle gt/hr's.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

If i were you i would just compete in STS.. you don't need a lot of power for that class. But you can do suspension work as long as it mounts to you stock points. You will have a more competitive PAX time too. I bought my hatch just so i could do this. STS your limited to a few things, intake, header, manifold, etc but its worth it.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

my red 1997 honda civic ex is strictly my daily driver otherwise I would. I bought my other car with the b16 in it to be my track car and I have dropped alot of money in it to make it so, so sts class is not an option. there is about a 1-2 second difference between the fastest times in the sts, ep, cp, and sm classes.

Last edited by golferman15; 04-30-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferman15 View Post
my red 1997 honda civic ex is strictly my daily driver otherwise I would. I bought my other car with the b16 in it to be my track car and I have dropped alot of money in it to make it so, so sts class is not an option. there is about a 1-2 second difference between the fastest times in the sts, ep, cp, and sm classes.
Sadly this is what a lot of people do. thats what i did with my K-swapped Supercharged EM2.. I was like well more power, its only a civic.... Thinking i could go in any class i wanted. Yeah i still have full interior and can run a 13.3 but when it came to auto-Xing it, i get owned even though im fast, im not fast enough. I have to run in C prep. So i sacrificed power and made my EM2 my DD and drag car, and take el hatchie to the track for some serious corner carving!

And the PAX time in EP, CP, and SM should be more like:
STS 0.816
STS2 0.818
SM 0.860
CP 0.864
EP 0.861

thats whats going to get you the points. The difference in real time in the classes is where your really going to get owned.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

so you don't think I can be competitive? I guess I don't get the whole pax thing and the whole point system. There are crx's that have smaller engines then me and run in bigger classes then me and are competitive in the higher classes. I guess I just don't get the whole picture.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
PAX is a method of handicapping cars. It's also known as RTP (Racers Theoretical Performance).

Cars are assigned handicaps based on their make/model/year and level of modification. These handicaps are based on actual performance of cars that have run in SCCA National events, and are determined by the national PAX administrator. They are used to judge performances at the national level, and are accepted by all competition entrants.

The most modified car is "A Modified", which gets a score of 1.00, so it's time would not be adjusted at all. Everything else gets multiplied by a figure that you could call a PAX handicap.

Here's an example:
PHP Code:
Car             Class        Raw time       PAX handicap     PAX time      PAX Result
'03 Corvette     SS            50.00           .840            42.0           2
'
04  Focus       HS            53.25           .780            41.53          1
'04 Dodge SRT4   STU           52.45           .820            43.00          3 
So the Focus that finished three seconds slower than the Vette actually wins based on PAX index.

PAX values are adjusted yearly. Click here for the most current PAX factors:
http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/indexes/
taken from http://www.autocross.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=1628
Old 04-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

anything you want to know can be found here
http://www.autocross.us/forums/index.php?showforum=15
Old 04-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

oh alright, that makes more sense now! thanks-a-bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in