Chassis choice for SMF car, thoughts. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Races/Shows/Events Just Racing

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx
Default Chassis choice for SMF car, thoughts.

Well, I'm sticking to an all motor build now, and I suspect it will only see about 150whp. I know I won't be able to go to a national tour and win, but I'm trying to be more competitive both locally and when I finally start making some tour events next season (hopefully!). Right now I'm using a CRX Si, and with the new weight formula, my minimum weight is 2050lbs, which I'm probably at right now. The only way around this is to swap to a 4 seater, such as a sedan or hatch. It will allow for a weight minimum with my 1.6L motor will be 1850lbs, which is about a 10% weight drop, fairly substantial.

Now, I've been talking with jon_akers, who bought my old 88 DX sedan, about swapping chassis. According to that weight list that's floating around the web, it's about 2040lbs stock. I think in race trim, I could get it close to 1900lbs. My other option is trying to find an 88 or 89 non-Si hatch, but those are few and far between round these parts, plus I'd like to just swap chassis with someone so I'm not out any money.

I guess my question is, what would be the downsides to using a hatch or (more likely) sedan over a CRX? I know shorter wheel base is generally a better thing in autocross, and the sedan has a good bit more rear overhang than the CRX or even hatch. Plus, how could would it be to hurt feelings in an old sedan, haha.

If a chassis change is in order, would I need to change spring rates for the longer chassis?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

I'd say go for the sedan. I can't see how extra rear overhang is gonna have any significant affect when it comes to autox.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
I'd say go for the sedan. I can't see how extra rear overhang is gonna have any significant affect when it comes to autox.
Well only thing I could think is it wouldn't be as small to fit through tight spots.

< Like us on FB

Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Abide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abide

still plenty small compared to Ricks bird. I think the sedan will work fine and with the instant power of the high comp na build you can worry less about your timing getting back on the throttle since you dont have to way for a spool even with a little turbo.
Abide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
still plenty small compared to Ricks bird. I think the sedan will work fine and with the instant power of the high comp na build you can worry less about your timing getting back on the throttle since you dont have to way for a spool even with a little turbo.
No kidding! Probably still as small as Dave's Mini. That's another reason I chose to sell the turbo, having an easier car to drive. You always see 4 door Integra's being road raced, gotta be something behind it!

< Like us on FB
Old 11-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 jon_akers  is accepted as part of the communityjon_akers  is accepted as part of the communityjon_akers  is accepted as part of the communityjon_akers  is accepted as part of the community

Sedan is the best ed/ef ever. Just let me know what you decide you wanna do. I have almost unlimited possibilities with what car I want to have/drive.
1. Daily your crx, racecar the 88 (NW) CRX si, sell hatch
2. Daily your crx, racecar the 90 std hatch, sell NW crx si without title.
3. Daily 90 std hatch, racecar 1 crx and sell another.

IDK, my decision depends on whatever is best for your uses.
jon_akers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I still need to weigh yours sir, before we make a decision. I just posted this to see if anyone knew any inherent differences with a sedan frame instead of a CRX.

< Like us on FB
Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

I remember watching on TV something that Hasport said...they specifically chose to race Teg sedan vs coupes. Something about the structure strength I believe.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

^^just like the tsx and civic si sedan
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the sedan chassis is somewhat stiffer. I know hatches are pretty flexy.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
McLOVIN

Rep Power: 17 jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!
jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!

I think the idea behind the sedan is that two medium/small holes per side (Wiht the B pillar creatinf the smaller holes) is stiffer than one large hole per side... I think i saw Hasport say that, in reference to their four door integra race car
Old 11-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well we weighed the sedan tonight on some truck scales that go in 20lb increments, removing the driver weight and what was in there looks like it should be at about 2050lbs right now. I think I could get another 100lbs off the car, now I've just gotta decide if that's the route I want to go...

< Like us on FB
Old 12-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 solfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to solfly

When I switched from a crx to my hatch I found I wanted more stagger in spring rates. I think the hatch is a better platform than the crx. Guessing the sedan would be similar. The extra wheel base allows for more opportunity to recover a spin.

2002 Kawasaki Prairie 650
2002 Honda Civic Si
1999 Honda CRV EX RT4WD
1993 Honda Civic EX Sedan
1993 Honda del Sol Si
1988 Honda Civic STD Hatch
1979 Raised Ranch
solfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solfly View Post
When I switched from a crx to my hatch I found I wanted more stagger in spring rates. I think the hatch is a better platform than the crx. Guessing the sedan would be similar. The extra wheel base allows for more opportunity to recover a spin.
Thanks, this is the kind of info I'd like to know. I konw a shorter wheelbase may rotate quicker, but a longer one may be more stable.

< Like us on FB
Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

I've never seen a sedan racing. Never. There has to be a reason for it

Not that I think no one races them. But how many top guys do?

2014 Fiesta ST

90civichillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90civichillclimber View Post
I've never seen a sedan racing. Never. There has to be a reason for it

Not that I think no one races them. But how many top guys do?
You just don't know where to look

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

That's pretty awesome. So Bone, 90CHH, what's youre thoughts on it? Should I switch? You're two of the guys who's input I was looking for. I can always wait and see if I can just buy an 88 or 89 hatch outright. The sedan swap is just readily available and is a no cost option. He also has a 90 DX hatch, but I don't think I can get it lighter than mine by enough to justify the swap (weight list shows it to be about 2140 where my CRX lists at 2174).

My thought on the sedan is a lot of the weight is lower on the car, like no sun roof up high, no HEAVY hatch glass up high as well.

< Like us on FB
Old 12-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Crx is done and your used to driving it. That is what I would run. Put a roof skin on it to get rid of the sun roof, lexan & fiberglass the hatch and then add weight in a better spot if your to light.

Edit
as long as your not road racing. I would want a hatch from 88-95 for that. Still not completely sold on the 92-95 but I like how they handle too

2014 Fiesta ST

Last edited by 90civichillclimber; 12-01-2012 at 04:57 PM.
90civichillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Abide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Abide

I still like the sedan just for being unique
Abide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

That is a thought I've had of the sedan.

Pretty sure SM rules don't allow fiberglass/lexan or I would have done that already lol.

< Like us on FB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in