AutoX set-ups, post your setup - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Races/Shows/Events Just Racing

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 satansbrother is learning the way of the Dsatansbrother is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default AutoX set-ups, post your setup

Well, went to my first autox event today, went on a ride along and its got me itchin. I haven't posted on here much just been doing some browsing, I made a decision on what I was gonna do with my car, but now im looking a different route.

Original plans were to go y8 eagle/vitara motor, with the 62mm go-autoworks precision 6262 kit. I already ordered and received the Turbo kit from Greg (which I will say these kits are awesome). But now im thinking if I go smaller Turbo ill get a little more use out of the car. Its my summer DD, and play car. And after today I think it would be fun if I could go to some events with my friends and have a fairly competitive car.

So what im looking for is some info on what people are running on their boosted D's that autox. Im thinking of going t3/t4 60 trim to give me the quicker boost time and also be able to hold the boost to the top. Any info helps, looking for what people like and what works really well.

Thanks.
satansbrother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

id trade ya my pte 50 trim and add cash
Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 satansbrother is learning the way of the Dsatansbrother is learning the way of the D

Im not to the point where im gomna start getting rid of parts yet, I want to get some info and get my homework done before I start to move forward on this. But im sure later on ill be open to doing some trading of some sorts if I need to.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

I'll be using a DSM 14B because it's tiny, cheap and easy to replace if it goes bad. It should also spool incredibly quick. The motor is a bit over 10:1 CR, and when I build the new block it will be 10-10.5:1 CR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 12 TheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcano
TheAssassin is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Generally the consensus for auto cross has been small turbo and higher compression, like xotic said. The t3/t4 60 trim may be a bit large for autocross.
My Build Thread

237 avg. hp 208 avg. tq 4750-7200rpm
Calculating Average Horsepower
TheAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Stay in a stock or street prep class. Do you really want to get into the money war that is the SM classes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Fiesta ST

90civichillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

I understand the concept of small Turbo higher compression, and the fact that I would be in a class that has some really well setup cars. Im not looking to get into serious autoxing, but more casual weekend stuff. I know that the 6262 would be way to big seeing the huge amount of lag and the vitaras lowering the compression. That's why im thinking 16g. Keeps my street power up and will be almost small enough for quicker spooling on the auto's.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 JBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

My recommendation - don't make any changes to your car "to prepare it for it's first autocross" beyond safety and normal maintenance (don't try to autocross with a loose battery, etc.). Drive what you've got and focus on the driver first. You'll have plenty of time to work on the car setup after your first few events, and you may find you learn much during those first few events (based on what your car is actually doing at the first few events and how you want to change that, or what you see others doing or what they suggest).

It also depends greatly on which class/category in which you plan to run.
JBrettHowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

I'd say you jumped the gun on the parts. Should have read more. Try it. And realize how big a 6262 is on this engine. Lol
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 hondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to hondalx97

GT28! great turbo, on another note wasn't there this exact thread open a few days ago?

but i agree don't be going crazy you will go faster with more seat time and focusing on your driving than you will with parts autox is like 85% driver and it really shows

i like my cars like i like my women, with D's instead of B's

For all you HID needs let me know authorized reseller for sharphid and theretrofitsource!
shit blew up sale thread please helppp

PROJECTORS retofit service/supplies

hondalx97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90civichillclimber View Post
Stay in a stock or street prep class. Do you really want to get into the money war that is the SM classes?
If you get serious with autox, this man presents a valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrettHowell View Post
My recommendation - don't make any changes to your car "to prepare it for it's first autocross" beyond safety and normal maintenance (don't try to autocross with a loose battery, etc.). Drive what you've got and focus on the driver first. You'll have plenty of time to work on the car setup after your first few events, and you may find you learn much during those first few events (based on what your car is actually doing at the first few events and how you want to change that, or what you see others doing or what they suggest).

It also depends greatly on which class/category in which you plan to run.
Tightening the nut behind the wheel is where you'll make up the most time. I hear people say all the time there car just "isn't ready" to autocross, and unless it's falling apart that's never the case. You can autox anything and have fun, just go out and work on driving. Is your setup going to be laggy? Yes, but you can still have fun out there.

< Like us on FB
Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Abide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Abide

you'd need an incredible amount of tire to get the grip to hold the speed up to use that turbo, but if it's just for fun and you arent trying to be competitive, then i say go for it!
Abide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 hondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regular

now my question is what would constitute a good SP prep? i've been thinking about the class but know very little about it

For all you HID needs let me know authorized reseller for sharphid and theretrofitsource!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Was gonna chime in, but I see I have been excluded.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Okay ... first things first. If you are building an AutoX car ... you're doing it backwards. Ground up ... not engine down. You can have the best most perfect engine setup in the world but if your suspension and tires aren't up to snuff ... well you're driving an overpriced paperweight (at least as far as AutoX is concerned). Work on making your car stick, it's not about how fast you can get going ... it's about how much speed you can carry. So ... if I was going to build an AutoX car from scratch here's what I'd do:
(1) Suspension - Coil and Spring or full coil over ... just do it don't argue.
-1a - Once you figure out how you drive with your suspension then think about your sway bars. Is it rotating too much or not enough? Add sway bars to compensate/complement your driving style.
(2) Got that down ... now lets keep that power on the ground where it belongs. Tire time. What class are you competing in ... this will determine what tires you use.
(3) Now it's time for the end game ... build your engine. You've been accumulating valuable seat time, and building your suspension with this endgame in mind. Now that you can keep it on the ground ... get that power you've been craving.

Tell you what. Being able to take turns with your foot planted in infinitely more fun than any straight line acceleration you will ever experience.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 JBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondalx97 View Post
now my question is what would constitute a good SP prep? i've been thinking about the class but know very little about it
Suspension, suspension, suspension. If you are interested in competing at the pointy end of the field, you should plan to invest in some good shocks (think MCS/Koni 28's/Penske/Moton/AST/JRZ) and lots of testing to figure out how to make them work. Sway bars, springs, bushings, and adjustable arms are all on the menu, and you will probably be looking at having some parts made as most of the off-the-shelf parts in these areas are decent, but not optimal. Wheel and tire sizes are unlimited, so budget for some silly wide wheels and plan to cut up your fenders some (if you have the money, time and patience, you can do this so it doesn't look like crap...but crappy looking fenders that don't rub work just as well as pretty fenders that don't rub in my opinion...form follow function).

Plan to exploit update/backdate extensively, and to remove everything you can to save weight (passenger door mirror, radio, A/C, rear window wipers, clocks, speakers, front seat belts and reels (supplant with 4 or 5 point harness), brake dust shields, evap canister, lightweight battery, etc.) as there are no minimum weights in SP...just maximum allowances. There is a "big brake allowance" in SP that if followed carefully actually becomes a "light brake allowance" as you can pretty much use anything as long as it is no smaller in diameter than the stock bits (even switching from rear drums to discs, you can use discs the same diameter as the drums and lightweight calipers to drop some unsprung weight).

Invest in the best limited slip you can buy...getting to the throttle as quickly as possible in a corner is the key to maximizing corner exit speeds and getting to the next corner quickest.

A simple 20 over rebuild of the motor, a decent tune, and some free-flowing intake and header/exhaust bits are about all you need to worry about engine-wise. There's not a whole lot more you can legally do in the class, and you are more interested in low end and mid range grunt vs. a motor that makes power up high but falls on its face down low.

Then invest in tires and run every event you can...get seat time, take notes (weather, shock settings, tire pressures, results), and learn how to adjust to different surfaces and course styles.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

i've been around the block for awhile i just never looked into in of the SP classes there is an FSP eg hatch up here that is pretty quick but really not all that fast, less than 2 secs off my stc times but i know that my ej just can't turn the times that the EF/ED's can i'm close but its like fighting without a foot its never going to be fair. and my pockets aren't yet deep enough for SMF if they were a kswap would be in my car already haha.

thanks for the info i might be pm'ing you some questions this winter are you running in SP
? i'd like to ask a little more about your set up.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate everything. I guess I should explain where my car sits as of now so its a clear understanding.

Bought the car this summer, first thing I did was buy some wheels w/tires and s2 sport struts and lowering springs. Then I finally decided I wanted to make it fast, so I got a separate y8 longblock to start building on. Ordered my 62mm turbo kit from greg at go-autoworks. Ordered front and rear s2 camber kits, poly bushings for the entire car, gsr front and rear brake swap with stoptech slotted rotors and hawk pads.

Still need to decide on what sway bars to go with, and ill also be looking to getaway coilovers, not sure which ones tho.

Drove the car upuntil about a month ago when it decided to get a rod knock and eventually blew a hole in the block.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

Upgrade rear bar to 22mm Suspension Techniques and rear subframe brace and stock front bar, don't go any bigger up front.

< Like us on FB
Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondalx97 View Post
...are you running in SP? i'd like to ask a little more about your set up.
I've been known to run in SP...but I've become a bit of a car whore lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in