RRR Event #5; My first time in my CRX - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Races/Shows/Events Just Racing

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx
Default RRR Event #5; My first time in my CRX

Well yesterday was our 5th event of the year in our region, and my 3rd autox so far. My previous two, I competed in my friend's G Stock 09 Si. This time I decided to take my CRX to find out what suspension changes I need to make while its down getting a new motor/trans this offseason. What I found out is that I didn't know my car as well as I thought and had been spoiled with the point and drive ability of the 09 Si, lol.

The car did ok the first pass, as I was learning the course (which was relatively short and high speed, the faster times being in the mid-low 30" range) and ran a 42.xx". Second run I discoverd my car had some oversteer and almost spun halfway through the slalom, lmao, but still managed a 40.9. Third run was another 40.9 IIRC but the back end was sliding around over some bumpy areas.

Second heat I had a friend ride with me to watch my line and give pointers and let some air out of the tires b/c my pump over-inflated them and read it wrong and readjusted my struts. Still ran a 40.9 but with a passenger and learned some things...also destroyed a pointer cone, lol. Next run I cut to a 40.0 and started figuring out my car's handling. Last run was an amazing run, but the timer malfunctioned and showed a 31.xx, lol so I re-ran it and ran a 39.2x, which felt maybe a bit slower than my mistimed run before.

All in all, I was a bit dissapointed with myself, not so much the car. I think I'll place 2nd in SMF behind a pulleyed, R Comp'ed Cooper S with many upgrades (37.xx's) and just ahead of my friend's D15B CRX he and his son co-drove (to 39.3x and 39.9x, respectively) with similar suspension setup. It was a learning experience that humbled my driving skills, lol, but I think I enjoyed the connection more with my car than the 09 Si. Anyway, here's some pics, vids to follow in the next few days. My only in-car vid was in micheal j fox-o-vision, but someone stuck a go-pro on for one of my crappier runs.

Some of me getting ready:

My friend's D15B car:

My friend's son on his pass in their car:

Another of our friends:

Some other cars that owned the day:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

howd the genesis coupe do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 bee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

It's a fully prepped G-Stock car and is very competitive and placed while at state. Very fun car to watch.
bee_afraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 02:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotic_crx View Post
Last run was an amazing run, but the timer malfunctioned and showed a 31.xx, lol so I re-ran it and ran a 39.2x, which felt maybe a bit slower than my mistimed run before.
It always feels faster when the timer malfunctions! Your car looks good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Fiesta ST

90civichillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

good to hear u had fun racing the car.

my girlfriend has a 96 VW GTI VR6 that she is going to let me drive auto-x'n for my birthday. we just gutted it and are going to be putting the racing tires on, then taking it out this sunday.

it will be my first time ever. got any tips for a 100% noob?
Quote:
Old 09-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
it will be my first time ever. got any tips for a 100% noob?
Yeah, take a stock car on street tires. You'll learn more and probably place better than starting out on race tires.

2014 Fiesta ST

Old 09-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Classic Man

they arent racing tires per say, just tires we use to race.

i just re-read what i typed and it doesnt quite read the same as it did in my head when i typed it. lol
Quote:
Old 09-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
they arent racing tires per say, just tires we use to race.

i just re-read what i typed and it doesnt quite read the same as it did in my head when i typed it. lol
lol ok. Well, get there early and find some fwd guys that'll walk the course with you. Ask them before the course is open for walking, as a lot of people do NOT like to be bothered while in the middle walking the course. Make sure to ask them how they're going to brake and take certian elements. Listen to what they're talking about even if it's something you think is unimportant. See if you can ride with them on their runs. Ride along with as many people that'll let you fwd, rwd, or awd. I make it a point to help out any new person if they ask me for help.

2014 Fiesta ST

Old 09-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Classic Man

ok sounds good. i love learning from other peoples mistakes. it makes me look a lot better. LOL

i fancy myself a good go-kart racer but those are hard to lose control in.

local go-kart course here, the BEST run about 27-28 seconds. my best is 30.1. average person walks in usually runs a 37-38 on the same course.

should i apply the same logic? only difference i can see is i can pull out of the corners a lot easier with the power from the 6 cylinder over the dinkly 1 cyl hondas brake going into the corner more so than i did before i assume.
Quote:
Old 09-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!

I got lucky my first 2 autox's and got to work first, so I saw different lines people were taking. I would try to find someone who's in a similar car (drivetrain and tires) and see what line they're taking and how its working for them. I prolly wouldn't gut it, since that would take you out of stock class, which would lower your PAX time.

No, the untimed run if any faster was only slightly, lol, but yes they always do feel faster.

Oh, and the Genesis Coupe was the 2.0T so it was in G Stock with the car I usually co-drive, 09 Civic Si, and it raped almost everything there in RAW time (let alone PAX), including beating that Z06, and it's drivers are awesome.

I probably won't run my car again this season, next event's the TLAC for the statewide event so I'll be back in the G Stock Si for better PAX times for our Region, and the last event it looks like I'll be out of state that weekend...If not maybe I can have my new engine/trans in by then. A fresh motor, LSD and shorter 2nd gear will help a lot. Hopefully will have some stiffer front springs and an ST rear sway too.

< Like us on FB
Old 09-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
ok sounds good. i love learning from other peoples mistakes. it makes me look a lot better. LOL

i fancy myself a good go-kart racer but those are hard to lose control in.

local go-kart course here, the BEST run about 27-28 seconds. my best is 30.1. average person walks in usually runs a 37-38 on the same course.

should i apply the same logic? only difference i can see is i can pull out of the corners a lot easier with the power from the 6 cylinder over the dinkly 1 cyl hondas brake going into the corner more so than i did before i assume.
Fwd is nothing like the karts. You'll see. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotic_crx View Post

I probably won't run my car again this season, next event's the TLAC for the statewide event so I'll be back in the G Stock Si for better PAX times for our Region
I hate PAX.

2014 Fiesta ST

Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 bee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to allbee_afraid is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90civichillclimber View Post
Fwd is nothing like the karts. You'll see. Have fun!

I hate PAX.

I heart PAX when I run G-Stock.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

I hate PAX for SMF, lol, but G Stock it's great, haha...at least until that Genesis shows up, lmao.

< Like us on FB
Old 09-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Classic Man

cool to hear the genesis is ripping as well as it is.

is it running stock boost pressures?
Quote:
Old 09-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
cool to hear the genesis is ripping as well as it is.

is it running stock boost pressures?
He has to when in G-Stock. Slicks, shocks, and driving experience is what kills us when that car is competing.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 slums is da #1 stunnaslums is da #1 stunnaslums is da #1 stunnaslums is da #1 stunnaslums is da #1 stunnaslums is da #1 stunnaslums is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I've been interested in trying out some Auto-X in my Suby...

How badly does it eat up your tires/brakes? What about gas?

I'm curious how expensive it is to do a days worth. I've been told it's less costly than doing a track day, but obviously more expensive than drag racing...
slums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slums View Post

I'm curious how expensive it is to do a days worth. I've been told it's less costly than doing a track day, but obviously more expensive than drag racing...
Wear and tear is minimal and all depends on how you drive.

Tires
I have an aggressive approach and will wear tires quicker than most other drivers but the tire wear is probably less than having a few hard launches at the drag strip. The surface on where the AutoX course is laid out also plays a roll on tire wear.

Brakes
Again it depends on your driving style but if your brakes are in good shape going into an AutoX day then I doubt that you even notice the wear.

Gas
You will burn more gas going to work, out to eat, or driving to the store for a gallon of milk.

Disclaimer
AutoX is extremely addicting and I am not responsible if you get sucked in and then spend every waking moment of the rest of your life trying to figure out how you can achieve a better RAW/PAX time.

P.S. It is extremely fun and just getting to hang out with older car guys and also being around some truly awesome cars ripping it up is worth it.

Last edited by bee_afraid; 09-30-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slums View Post

Not bad on brakes at all, you'll have very slight wear on tires, which isn't as bad if you're not sliding all over the place or pushing thru every turn. Usually first time fees are cheaper than regular membership fees, so under 50 I imagine (ours was only 15 for your first 2 races) unless its a statewide event.

Just don't be afraid if you go get your butt handed to you. My first time out I placed pretty poorly.

< Like us on FB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in