Auto-X vs HPDE - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Races/Shows/Events Just Racing

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89
Default Auto-X vs HPDE

would you guys recommend getting into autocross first before getting into hpde. reason being i need to stay busy until next season before i go back to the strip. autocross seems fun but everyone i know hates autocross and just like going to the hpde events out here. either way im a novice at both since i never have tried either. im just tired of being harassed by my friends for being oldschool in liking the drag strip more lol.

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!

hpde would be local for me since we have willow springs out here and autox would be in fontana which is a hour and a half from me. being convenient is not a factor i just want to know people opinions.

the only thing that throws me off of autox is being in second all the time but the quik reaction aspect to turns brings me back up.

hpde just seems like its a more open event to being able to use the car to its full potential.

then again i have no experience in either so ill shut up now and leave it up to you guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 24 Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!
Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

The way I see it, any practice you get behind the wheel is valuable experience regardless of what type of competition it is.

Owner, Quick & Dirty Racing LLC

Rally Car

Race Car

Atmosfear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
The way I see it, any practice you get behind the wheel is valuable experience regardless of what type of competition it is.
i agree

ill probably be getting into auto-x next year. ive never done it before, watched, but never raced

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 24 Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!
Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx View Post
ill probably be getting into auto-x next year. ive never done it before, watched, but never raced
You need to move to this side of the mtns.

Then youll be road racing and rallycrossing too.

Owner, Quick & Dirty Racing LLC

Rally Car

Race Car

Atmosfear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 EGDriver93 is da #1 stunnaEGDriver93 is da #1 stunnaEGDriver93 is da #1 stunnaEGDriver93 is da #1 stunnaEGDriver93 is da #1 stunnaEGDriver93 is da #1 stunnaEGDriver93 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I agree ^ ANY experience behind the wheel will benefit you and advance your driving skills. I participate in AutoX and have learned a crap-ton. It's cheaper, at least up here to do AutoX than a high performance class. Also, get your hands on as many books as you can involving former pros talking about secrets to their success. You'll get a lot out of them, trust me.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

im leaning towards autox until i get familiar with the basic's with suspension set-up, driving etc.. before i hit hpde.

actually this quote sold me lol

Why autocross?

Autocross is an inexpensive, safe way to experience racing. It helps you discover your car's capabilities and limitations, making you a better, safer driver on the road. And it develops your own driving ability. Many would-be race drivers use it as a jump point into the sport of road racing. But probably the greatest thrill of autocross is the challenge of beating your own time. It's fun!

Last edited by greasemonkey89; 10-26-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 20 tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

autocross is fun, it taught me to slow down to go faster. Definetly a good tool to use for sharpening your skills. Never HPDE'd before but really want to, let me know if you decide to get into it because I am really interested.
You guys should all just get Miatas.
Nobody ever tries to race you, old guys give you thumbs up all the time, and random assholes yell homophobic obscenities at you.
tronsteezz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

i started off with auto x before moving on over. i really enjoy autoxing. it also tends to be a lot easier on the wallet compared to hpde. at least for me.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 bbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

id love to get into auto x,any good sites to get started for complete noobs??
bbcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcivic View Post
SCCA Sports Car Club of America

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Quote:
find your region first,read the rules,look at the calender and find a event.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Quote:
You need to move to this side of the mtns.

Then youll be road racing and rallycrossing too.
I would LOVE to roadrace, but I'm definitely not moving to that side. I'm very content with my quiet desert

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

You should definitely autox first. Once you go to hpde, you'll never want to autox again. I now hate autox after driving the hills. Do at least a full season of autox. It helps you learn the edge of your cars handling. You don't want to learn that on the track. I did three years of autox in 3 different cars (mustang, mgb, civic). The learning curve on the civic was the hardest. I never had driven a fwd competitively before. Without the year of autox, I'm sure I would have wrecked the car this year. I believe autox really helped me out when I switched to the hills this year.

2014 Fiesta ST

90civichillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Quote:
Just show up at a local autox. (early!!) There are plenty of people that are willing to help a new person out. Just ask questions and let people know your new. Normally the club has a novice meeting and walk through the course for new drivers.

Here's the novice handbook for one of the clubs I belong to.

http://www.nhscc.com/forms/NHSCC%20N...20Handbook.pdf

2014 Fiesta ST

90civichillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 EGDriver93 is da #1 stunnaEGDriver93 is da #1 stunnaEGDriver93 is da #1 stunnaEGDriver93 is da #1 stunnaEGDriver93 is da #1 stunnaEGDriver93 is da #1 stunnaEGDriver93 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
The SCCA is great, I am a member, but it is not cost effective for a new driver. Look for car clubs in your area that have track days. Just because you might not have the same make as the club day, they will prob. still let you have fun with them.

I joined the BMWCCA just for this reason. They accommodate for all types of drivers. Good luck in the search.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
+1.

seat time is seat time.

that out of the way, HPDE's and AutoX are completely different. it's hard to compare them as for what they teach you.

AutoX is a solo event, where you get X number of 1-1.5 minute runs. but its cheaper than an HPDE.

HPDE is an all day lapping event at a road course.

an HPDE is definitely a higher speed event, but the corners are not as close/narrow as they may be at an autoX event.

My Conclusion? start with autox to get your feet wet. it's inexpensive, and a great starting point. when you're ready to throw money at racing, do BOTH. HPDE's that you can actually go to may not come around all the time.

consistent autoX events (we're lucky to have weekly events here, sometimes 2 per week, as there are 2 separate clubs running) will keep you in practice and consistently keep your ass in the seat.

Last edited by Project_Derp; 04-20-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Project_Derp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
The Master Fabricator

gpny It's a JDM Star Bitches....gpny It's a JDM Star Bitches....gpny It's a JDM Star Bitches....gpny It's a JDM Star Bitches....gpny It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gpny

I love both autoX and hpde.
HPDE is more expensive, but you drive more.
My old autoX club (NYR-SCCA) has a yearly track day at Pocono. I probably drove 150miles on the track that day... it was a blast!
I hope to do it again this year even though I now live in Canada and haven't had the time to finish some of the mods I started last year... I haven't driven my baby in almost 1 year...
Old 05-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
tim
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I say autox first. Learn your cars suspension before you hit the track.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 05:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
I say autox first. Learn your cars suspension before you hit the track.
AGREED! Flying into a turn at 35 mph is usually a lot safer than flying into a turn at 60+!

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in