Honda D Series Forum banner

D16b5 good or bad?

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  FeelinKoopish 
#1 ·
well i went to get a motor the other day and i thought all was well until i got home. i was under the assumption that it was a z6, since the guy said he pulled it out his 95 civic ex....i saw the solenoid and didnt bother to look at the block code til today when i was taking it out the van.:sadface:

its d16b5....i thought i was seein things and started rubbin it....yep, b5.:wtf: so i look up the specs and this joker is suppose to have 12:5cr and run off compressed gas(something to that effect).....so now, is this good or bad?

i got it for a reasonable price since the guy did a rebuild and did not put the rings in right in one of the cylinders.he said he drove it like this for 6 months.....now my next ? when i pull it apart should i run my z6 head(i know i should use the z6 intake mani) on this block?

what else should i know/take into consideration when i put this in my 94ex civic?

#2 ·
if he rebuilt it, what pistons were used?

It's nothing if Y8 pistons were used. If it still has the GX rods and pistons, slap on a Y8 head and tune it.......but I highly doubt it is still 12.5:1 compression, if it is, NICE SCORE!

#3 ·
im guessing it just got a stock rebuild but im gonna take off the head now since im curious to see whats going on inside.....

i was reading(briefly) that w/ the y8 head ill be in the 12:1-5 area(if the head is not milled). that means i have to get premium, with it running premium and high cr will my mileage stay at29-30mpg as before or will it change for the better?

also if the cr was/is that high....what would have been damaged by the prevoius owner running 87 in the motor?

#5 ·
i didnt know what a b5 is until i bought it, i was assuming it was a z6,and sure the orginal owner didnt know either since he didnt mention anything about it.....he just said it ran real hard for a single.....

looking for a shop to drop off some heads today so hopefully ill be inspecting the motor sometime this morning......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.