Common Problems with a D17? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2019, 02:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Default Common Problems with a D17?

I am totally and completely D17 ignorant.

Looking at a 2003 Civic that is D17 powered...I'm actually looking at
it as a project to drive for the winter and then sell in the spring.

Do the D17's have any common problems?
Shitty oil passages leading to rod knock? Consuming oil like F23's?
Blowing up if you tap on the head with a wrench? Some great engineering idea gone wrong?

This Civic's body looks to be in pretty good shape for Michigan. Really wish they'd switch to beet juice and get rid of salt completely.

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

They all seem to leak oil. Anyone i know who has owned an ES (non car people) have told me their cars leak oil.

Not really a major thing though, probably a problem with a batch of seals from factory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes

I've done a lot of head gaskets on those engines, from an incoming customer perspective. They don't seem to tolerate any amount of overheating or hot spots. The common failure root cause of the HG's appeared to be from people just not monitoring their coolant overflow tank level and letting it run dry over a long period of time, which will cause air to enter the system over a longer period. You will know the HG blew because the rad end tank (usually the top one) will explode/rapidly disassemble due to over pressure. It's a scary unexpected sound when they go.

Timing belt tensioner failure. Honda makes an updated timing belt tensioner bolt for this engine. The original protrudes past the tensioner pulley like barely more than 1/4 inch, leaving hardly any threads to work to retain the tensioner against the block. Seen many of these cars come in on a rollback with a no start symptom because the timing belt tensioner bolt threads gave way and the tensioner fell in the cover. To fix, you have to drop the left side of the engine low enough so that you can get a drill bit flush with the tensioner hole, drill it out and helicoil it, then new timing belt/waterpump/component kit with a longer grade 10.9 bolt that protrudes past the tensioner at least an inch to ensure a secure fasten to the block.

Last edited by drtalon123; 07-23-2019 at 02:27 PM.
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes

Oh, and fun to clean EGR passages if they stop up haha
Old 07-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Plan on replacing front control arm bushings every 60k miles.

30k intervals if in Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2019, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!

Thanks for the responses. Seriously. More details than I even expected. I appreciate it.

And Transzex, The roads here have seemed to buckle more than before. I swear to God, it's like having speedbumps on Pennsylvania, Eureka, Northline, Goddard. So knock that 30k down to 15k. Once I started riding on coilovers, it got way worse.

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Even over a decade ago TimtheStick had airbags on his del Sol because of the bumps as "Pops" (RIP) had severe back issues. He could also raise the car WAY up so Pops could get in easier.

I miss those days in Taylortucky....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Ive been away from DSO and lookie here, another d17 potential.

First of all, check the alternator mounting. DOES NOT MATTER if belts are not making noise.

My loose alternator killed an ecu with the voltage spikes from occasionally loosing the most important ground of all, alternator to engine/chassis.

Same alternator, but I just killed a SECOND ecu. So Im not fixing it until I have a new denso or mitsu alternator. Stay away from remans for the 7th gen civics.

Front bushings are capabale of lasting far beyond 15k miles on shitty roads.

You should be able to squeak out at least 25-30k miles on even the worst roads.

However, since you can use EP3 and RSX bushings, I suggest searching on amazon or ebay for old stock of the BLOX spherical front bushings/bearings. I got a set for $50.

I bought cheap ebay chingo arms, and the plan is to stuff the new bearings in palce of the already shitty looking china bushings.

I gotta buy another ecu first, and have honda again, setup an immobilizer

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2019, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Even over a decade ago TimtheStick had airbags on his del Sol because of the bumps as "Pops" (RIP) had severe back issues. He could also raise the car WAY up so Pops could get in easier.

I miss those days in Taylortucky....
I just finally dug a deep-ass fire pit. Time for some bon fires and beer. If you're down, I'll be having some nights in August and September where I plan on getting shitfaced and burning stuff in the heart of Taylor.

Also, I had a Sami's Popeye omlette the other morning. Goddam' addictive. Heading back in the morning for another round.

I still have those Slushies, man. A really nice Z6 and a B2. If you want'em, we can figgr' somethin' out. I'd trade you for a cup of Ohio soil or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
Ive been away from DSO and lookie here, another d17 potential.

First of all, check the alternator mounting. DOES NOT MATTER if belts are not making noise.

My loose alternator killed an ecu with the voltage spikes from occasionally loosing the most important ground of all, alternator to engine/chassis.

Same alternator, but I just killed a SECOND ecu. So Im not fixing it until I have a new denso or mitsu alternator. Stay away from remans for the 7th gen civics.

Front bushings are capabale of lasting far beyond 15k miles on shitty roads.

You should be able to squeak out at least 25-30k miles on even the worst roads.

However, since you can use EP3 and RSX bushings, I suggest searching on amazon or ebay for old stock of the BLOX spherical front bushings/bearings. I got a set for $50.

I bought cheap ebay chingo arms, and the plan is to stuff the new bearings in palce of the already shitty looking china bushings.

I gotta buy another ecu first, and have honda again, setup an immobilizer
Will take ALL your advice, man. Solid. And thanks!
That's crazy that your alternator / ground managed to do that. Freightening, actually.

Last edited by Nasty_Canasta; 07-26-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Easiest way to find out EARLY if the alternator is looking for ecu blood, is snap it to 5500-6000 rpms while driving, and see if she cuts out and needs a restart.

If that happens, simply avoid going over 5k, find a suitable ecu replacement, and have a nearby honda dealership on your scope

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
Easiest way to find out EARLY if the alternator is looking for ecu blood, is snap it to 5500-6000 rpms while driving, and see if she cuts out and needs a restart.

If that happens, simply avoid going over 5k, find a suitable ecu replacement, and have a nearby honda dealership on your scope
Right on!! Nice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in