RT4wd EF carrier bearings / center bearings / driveline vibration SOLVED - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default RT4wd EF carrier bearings / center bearings / driveline vibration SOLVED

Hi DSO.

As anyone who owns an RT4wd wagon is probably aware, driveline vibrations are the devil. Luckily Rockford Driveline came to the party and now sell replacement U joints (430-10C is the part number), however that only solved part of the problem.

First, a bit of an explanation of what's going on. This 3 piece prop shaft is designed to be inline, where there is no designed angle of the U joints. Over time, this causes the needle bearings inside the caps of the U joint to wear a notch on the point where they spend all of their time positioned. This isn't a big deal, until you consider that the carrier bearing housings also sag over time, or in more extreme cases can tear. This creates an angle at the U joint, which means the u joint no longer spends all of its time on center, instead it 'pops' in and out of its worn center position and creates a nasty vibration. Also if the center bearing has sagged to the point where it's no longer suspended by the rubber (instead the inner section is touching the outer section) then the vibrations become much more noticeable.

Here's an example of a worn out carrier bearing housing:

So there's two things here. Replace the U joints to remove the worn needle bearings, and replace the carrier bearing housing to re align your prop shaft angles. Unfortunately your only option for the carrier bearing housing was to find another used less clapped out example, now you have the choice to instead buy a set of these:

See below thread in the for sale forum to purchase:

https://www.d-series.org/forums/sale...ml#post5154167

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 07-07-2019 at 01:25 PM.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

snazzy
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Formerly weebeastie

Rep Power: 13 Soul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Wow! This is fabulous! I know quite a few Wagovan RT4wd guys that would love to have these on their Wago's!
Old 05-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Engineering View Post
Wow! This is fabulous! I know quite a few Wagovan RT4wd guys that would love to have these on their Wago's!
Be great if you could pass on the message <3

First batch of the CNC'd center housing arrived on Friday:

Still waiting on a couple more bits but they're coming along...

Old 05-27-2019, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 zcpowereddx will become famous soon enoughzcpowereddx will become famous soon enoughzcpowereddx will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Definately, count me in
zcpowereddx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Last of the parts are in. Time for assembly

Old 05-30-2019, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 zcpowereddx will become famous soon enoughzcpowereddx will become famous soon enoughzcpowereddx will become famous soon enough

Old 05-31-2019, 06:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....

Curious to see how well a single row ball bearing will hold up in that application.
The degrees of misalignment on a single row is very minimal and do not hold up to any thrust load at all. I know they should not see any thrust in this location but I would assume there is a tad bit of movement. Have you ran one for a while yet? If so how to they hold up?
My other concern is the bearing reaching operating temperature then the car hits mud or water. Which in turn gets pulled into the bearing causing it to seize and then of course failure. Have you looked at adding a extra seal? Possibly a single lip with a debris flinger to help keep contaminates away from the bearing?

It looks awesome and not trying to pick it apart just giving my views on it.
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 06:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

There is an AWD conversion craze going on here in the states. Your product should sell like hot cakes, ship them with syrup.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CripTofer View Post
There is an AWD conversion craze going on here in the states. Your product should sell like hot cakes, ship them with syrup.
Exactly why I'm trying to get some while they are available..
Old 05-31-2019, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CripTofer View Post
Somebody's been watching True Life: I'm a Street Racer.

Regarding the bearings. Nearly every NTN bearing is available with a seal and/or a shield. If debris is a problem the bearing should be cheap enough to replace and upgrade.

Good stuff.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Regarding the bearings. Nearly every NTN bearing is available with a seal and/or a shield. If debris is a problem the bearing should be cheap enough to replace and upgrade.
I'm in the Bearing PT business I know exactly what NTN, Koyo, SKF, FAG, INA, Timken, ETC all have to offer.
But if he is engineering it and it allows why not add an extra single lip seal to each side just like the factory one had for a bit of insurance?
I under stand cost and cost savings as well as the ease of replacing the bearing. But 2 x $3.00 seals could easily double the life of his product.

He could also add those items to a possible rebuild kit in the future to bring in a little more GP%

RIP PAT
Old 06-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79hilux90crx View Post
I'm in the Bearing PT business I know exactly what NTN, Koyo, SKF, FAG, INA, Timken, ETC all have to offer.
But if he is engineering it and it allows why not add an extra single lip seal to each side just like the factory one had for a bit of insurance?
I under stand cost and cost savings as well as the ease of replacing the bearing. But 2 x $3.00 seals could easily double the life of his product.

He could also add those items to a possible rebuild kit in the future to bring in a little more GP%
I agree.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Curious to see how well a single row ball bearing will hold up in that application.
The degrees of misalignment on a single row is very minimal and do not hold up to any thrust load at all. I know they should not see any thrust in this location but I would assume there is a tad bit of movement. Have you ran one for a while yet? If so how to they hold up?
My other concern is the bearing reaching operating temperature then the car hits mud or water. Which in turn gets pulled into the bearing causing it to seize and then of course failure. Have you looked at adding a extra seal? Possibly a single lip with a debris flinger to help keep contaminates away from the bearing?

It looks awesome and not trying to pick it apart just giving my views on it.
No problem.

The OEM carrier bearing uses a single row ball bearing, and i haven't heard of anyone having issues with the bearing wearing out. The material that's cast is quite flexible and can reduce the effects of misalignment, however they are bolted next to U joint which will prevent angled loading due to misaligned installation.

There is minimal thrust load on the 2 carrier bearing assemblies that hold up the prop shaft (the motor is separated from the carriers by a slide joint)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post

Good stuff.
These bearings are sealed both sides (LLU - full contact dual lip sealing ideal for use around water/dirt), and maintain the OEM slide fit into the center housing (retained by a circlip) so the bearing can be serviced if it does fail in the future.

Quote:

The CNC'd inner housing has been sized to allow you to re use the OEM dust seals on both sides of the housings to prevent water ingress.

It's a good point about offering them though, cheers.

Last edited by EFB055; 06-02-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

I've gotten quite a bit of interest for these and so i'm going to be taking pre-orders so people can guarantee themselves one of the 10 sets.

Please see the original post for updated details. As an update, the outer housings have been assembled:

Off to get powdercoated next.

Last edited by EFB055; 06-01-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

2 sets sold.

Post updated.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Another set sold, post updated.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post

The CNC'd inner housing has been sized to allow you to re use the OEM dust seals on both sides of the housings to prevent water ingress.

It's a good point about offering them though, cheers.

Okay good to hear you can use the seals on both side I believe it will help with the life of the bearing.

Which is great for the consumer not so great for the guy trying to sale replacement parts.

I would much rather sale a higher quality item than make my money on repair parts.

GOOD WORK!

RIP PAT

Last edited by 79hilux90crx; 06-07-2019 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
I would much rather sale a higher quality item them make my money on repair parts.
For sure.

Outer housings back from powdercoat:

Old 06-07-2019, 04:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Looking good !

RIP PAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in