A/C for 3stage vtec-e in 1991 crx? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 stayswerving smells like Boratstayswerving smells like Boratstayswerving smells like Boratstayswerving smells like Boratstayswerving smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default A/C for 3stage vtec-e in 1991 crx?

Hey guys, I'm trying to gather a parts list of A/C components that will work with the current setup.

1991 Crx Si with 1999 jdm D15B 3 stage V-TEC-E engine out of a Civic VTi. The A/C bracket and pulleys for the d15b are still on the engine.
The original EF compressor and all A/C lines were tossed during the swap.

Will a compressor from a 1999 honda civic work? The bracket and pulleys are there, so I don't see why it wouldn't.
I'd have to route new A/C lines. I think I'd purchase all other components for 1991 crx (condenser, expansion valve, blower motor, dryer etc..) Right?

This Texas heat sucks. I need A/C.
Any info or help pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_174554_1557966805305.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	126023  
stayswerving is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 stayswerving smells like Boratstayswerving smells like Boratstayswerving smells like Boratstayswerving smells like Boratstayswerving smells like Borat

Or.... The simpler method. If anyone has this swap with working a/c, what bracket is needed to mount a 88-91 compressor to a 1999 civic d15b? Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

find a local pick and pull and get the things you need....or craigslist.....or facebook marketplace....

get the 88-91 plumbing and a 96-00 compressor since its r134a
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 02:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

That's what I was leaning towards. The plumbing from the 88-91 EF connections to the '99 compressor will need some customizing correct?
Thank you for the clarification.
I'll keep updating this thread as I make progress.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

shouldn't be too hard to cut the hard lines for both and have an a/c shop weld/braze them together again....and since itll need to be purged, they'll be able to test it and fill it
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 06:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Going to start ordering parts today.
Picking up a compressor from the local yard to test fit everything before I drop money on a new Sanden.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Yep, mount the newer compressor up, change the R12 valves on the lines with R134a valves (many car parts stores sell these conversion kits), and make sure you change the drier as well, prolly good time to do it.

If you know a buddy with an AC machine, just have him hook it up to vacuum for an hour to purge any and all moisture out, toss in 1-3 oz of compressor oil, and fill system like normal.

do an inspection of your condensor also.

I could have sworn there were factory honda lines that bolted up.

Maybe from an integra?

Scour the interwebz lol

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 02:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

@Matt,
yes I'd still need to do a retrofit to the ef valves to go from r12 to r134a. So turns out everything else should be straight forward. All the other components seem pretty well priced brand new that it's best to replace it all at once. Anyone have experience with those a/c face plates to replace the cracked ones? I'm assuming they're like an overlay.
Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

A little update on the progress. I was trying to pin down the exact make, model, and year civic this engine came out of. My brother stated it was from a JDM 1999 EK VTi hatchback. I did some digging and found the D15B 3stage came in two models. The CIVIC EK VTi hatchback, and the HONDA CIVIC FERIO Vi-RS 4dr sedan. (Both JDM only) The Ferio was considered the "sporty version of the two" due to cosmetics only. Although both have the exact same engine. Anyways, I thought that was interesting!

Back to the A/C situation:

I searched the net for positive reviews of aftermarket compressors in the Sanden trs090 style... Best match was a Denso compressor. Great reviews, priced at $207.00 shipped from rock auto. NAPA was asking over $100 more for the SAME compressor! Swindlers!
Old 05-19-2019, 05:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Not swindling.

Simply difference of selling through a warehouse versus having 3, 4, even 5 more people to get paid in the chain.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Yup. I know. I was being overly dramatic.

On another note I only need the firewall to compressor and condenser to firewall lines. Yay
Old 05-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Received the dryer, compressor and expansion valve today. My buddy also hooked me up with the A/C lines yesterday! The condenser is in route!
It's all coming together. I can't wait.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190523_184815_1558655673802.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	126055   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190522_172921_1558655832258.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	849.9 KB
ID:	126057  

Last edited by stayswerving; 05-23-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Hit the local pick and pull grabbed the hoses needed, along with the compressor bolts and any other attached hardware / wiring etc.

I was surprised to find two oem radios. Had to pull those also! The tape deck is from a 92 and the cd player out of a 96 I believe.
Now to test em out.
50% off day.... I made outta there only paying $17 total. Woop woop.

Anyways, just waiting on the condenser!
I'll have AC soon enough!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190525_105606_1558805235239.jpg
Size:	819.8 KB
ID:	126059   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190525_105549-1_1558805386664.jpg
Size:	752.9 KB
ID:	126061  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in