wiper arm clips on ED - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 2 Pete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default wiper arm clips on ED

It hailed with rain, was dressed in my suit, ( for rare occasions ) after seeing lawyer, it hailed and wipers had to be on full speed.

All of a sudden the wiper blades froze upright, I thought fuse had blown.

Waited for rain n hail to stop, got to a garage, they checked fuses, all good.
Wiper motor was hot, yet not working, even when in Off position.

Was not far from home, thought I get there.
But, while driving I noticed the arm was trying to re-set itself, still stork switch was on the Off position. Checked under hood and the wiper motor casing was still very hot.
Stopped by a side street and tried to unplug main wiring to wiper motor to no avail, had no tools or screwdriver to pry it loose.

Called road service, he checked it all and found possibly a clip had fallen off in the the gutter part where the wiper arms connect to the wiper motor.

OK,
Needs workshop attendance, he pry the electrical plug to the wiper motor, unplugged it and away I went. All safe.

Had a look myself today, it seems I have to remove the all plastic coverings, with a torch I did see some plastic clips and washers had fallen off.

Has anyone had this problem before and how can it be fixed, will I need new clips etc, what clips are they, before I pull everything apart ?

Checked e-bay for specific clips, I don't know yet exactly why wiper arm seemed jammed in the full up-right position, and yet it was trying to re-set even when the stork switch was on Off, and wiper motor getting hot .

Thanks

Last edited by Pete578; 05-07-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Pete578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 2 Pete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respect

Picture showing the section
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190508_WIPER-1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	778.0 KB
ID:	125989  
Old 05-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

sounds like the wiper transmission took a crap for the most part.

The plastic bushes in the linkage get turned into mushy chowder with that age.

I dunno why its called wiper transmission and not wiper linkage, but that is the searching name to help you on ebay

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

heres a lil diagram. check all the ends and see if anything is binding up.

that wiper motor getting really hot means it may also be "hurt" and may need replacing if it acts goofy once linkage is checked out

Build what you have!

Old 05-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Once you remove the black plastic cowl (pop off the little covers and remove the screws underneath) you'll see the ridiculously small key'd axle that the motor uses to drive the wiper arms. I'd unbolt the motor from the mechanism, then remove the mounting bolts of the motor and check the motor operates freely, and also check for bind by operating the linkages by hand.

Also just check that the wipers weren't put on in the incorrect position, and they weren't just blown off the side of the windshield where they can just get stuck.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

To gain access you need to pull the wiper arms for the most room.
Then remove the plastic covers over the screw that are holding the cowl on along the top (side closest to the windshield)
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 07:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips,
it's now finding convenient time as it's my only daily runner, just have to dodge the rain
Old 05-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....

Just drive between the rain drops.

Have you ever tried using RainX?
Its a spray on water repellent I have used it in the past for similar situations. Just follow the direction and don't let it sit on the glass long. I drove an F150 for over a year with out a wiper motor or arms had the parts was just waiting for the best time to replace them since it was my daily. A friend of mine used it on his entire vehicle to help keep mud off when off road. It was funny to watch him hit a huge puddle because it would bead up and roll off immediately he also used WD-40 on the undercarriage as well.
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!

I had a wiper motor partially separate from the gearbox ,motor would not turn off .
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rainx
lol

Yes we have it here,

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...gid=SCA8007225
Old 05-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ok,

I started to remove stuff from project car to get to the wiper arms.
What I found are those clips, what they look like etc.
Pried one off and can see over time they will deteriorate.
The pictures show the one clip off the project car, and I am happy this is as far as it goes without going "over the line" to donor car.

It seems these types of clips are used everywhere, so if I cannot get OEM, does anyone know where else I can possibly get these ?
Would metal "dome clips" work better than plastic ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190512_WIPER ARM CLIP-2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	613.6 KB
ID:	126009   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_WIPER ARM CLIP-1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	630.9 KB
ID:	126011  
Old 05-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

I can't picture where that goes, but if it's a bushing or a guide, then it should stay the same material.

What # is the part on the parts diagram?

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

I can't see it on diagram, on the 2 pictures I uploaded it goes over that ball swivel part and holds the arm in place. I think there are 3 in total

Some searches I found a youtube, it might be the part number, not sure because he does not show the actual item in the OEM bag.

This is the part number when you watch that youtube,

part number: 76540 SR3 - 003
HONDA GENUINE PART

On a Honda parts pages, it does not explain much.

Going for drive to a Honda service, see what they have to say.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190512_WIPER ARM CLIP-3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	634.1 KB
ID:	126013   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_WIPER ARM CLIP-4.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	579.3 KB
ID:	126015  

Last edited by Pete578; 05-12-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

its number 7 most likely in the diagrams posted by myself and EFB

EDIT when you find the part number, google or duckduckgo search the part number in images, and generally you can see it inside its OEM baggy, maybe form someones build guide, or updating their maintenance thing ona forum, etc..

Build what you have!

Old 05-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Well, I went to a Honda dealership, they looked it up and that plastic cap does not come alone, one has to buy the complete arm etc.

So I started to think out-side-the-box type of solution/s, so it fixed long term.

So, what we have here is a ball joint, and on fast speed it can be under imense pressure, too much pressure for a plastic coupling, in my opinion.

So what has this size type ball joints that swivel ?
Go-Carts came to mind, the steering linkages. Or Modified systems on hot rods and carburetors.
I had to become a bit coy with my questions, and not mention immediately it's a 30 year old car, that I am just looking for a solution out-side-the-box type of thing, and one I see interest, then I slowwwwly say what it is.

The Go-Cart place showed interest and suggested I try looking at their steering arm swivels

IF, and if push comes to shove, there may be a solution requiring some metallic surgery on these wiper arms and wiper motor ball joint.

I bought one steering swivel to size things up, and will think it through a bit more,
The pictures show what I mean, this all metal steering swivel may supersede the OEM, and last longer ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190513_WIPER ARM SOLUTION-1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	790.1 KB
ID:	126017   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190513_WIPER ARM SOLUTION-2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	878.4 KB
ID:	126019  
Old 05-13-2019, 02:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

The linkage assembly sells for around $100 USD on ebay.

Probably cheaper than the gokart parts, I think

Build what you have!

Old 05-13-2019, 02:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
The linkage assembly sells for around $100 USD on ebay.
Have to be accurate linkage assembly, probably electric motor,
Right Hand Drive here.

Factor in the exchange rate, then the shipping.

Surely those that have done every bolt restorations would have a clue ??

Last edited by Pete578; 05-13-2019 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

what are the odds of a mate with a 3d printer?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 03:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

Talking

BINGO ??

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-904...origin=keyword

3D Printer,
yeah
Old 05-13-2019, 05:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

attaboy!
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in