simplest d16y7 to d16y8 swap - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default simplest d16y7 to d16y8 swap

so here is what I have going on, I have a 97 civic hatch dx with a d16y7, the head gasket seemed to be the culprit so i got the head off and decked it, putting it back on, torquing the head bolts down and at least 5 of the head bolts wont tighten (stripped holes in the block). so bad motor at this point. so i set out to find a motor, i came across a 96 civic ex sedan. this car has the d16y8, so i have all the parts do do the swap but other than the mechanical side of things i dont know what to do about harnesses, i want to add cruise control and i would have to add vtec. not sure how the harness from a hatch and a sedan differ if any. just trying to get my ducks in a row before tackling this swap
Slamminsloan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

that swap is super easy but also your y7 isnt junk.

you can helicoil the block. plenty of people have done it and they seem to be fine. or you could timecert it if you have deep pockets.

other than that if you want to do the swap do some googling. all you really have to do is wire up vtec both vehicles are obd2a so that makes it crazy easy.

unbolt y7 bolt in y8. run wires for vtec. possibly iacv depending on if auto or manual. put in ecu from y8.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

excuse me for not quite grasping this, but why would i need to wire vtec if i have the y8 harness? shouldn't everything be there already?
Old 05-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamminsloan View Post
excuse me for not quite grasping this, but why would i need to wire vtec if i have the y8 harness? shouldn't everything be there already?
because we're so used to people not swapping harnesses that it becomes 2nd nature to mention it. grab the y8 ecu while youre there
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

i bought the whole car for $150 and drove it to my house. the guy i got it from was going to send it to the crusher because he didn't have a title. this guy had so many parts in the car to go with it (hes a retired mechanic that had a thing for civics). 2 alternators, 2 starters, 3 dizzys, a vtec d series head, non vtech head, heater core w/box, 2 radatiors, evap condenser, 2 fuel pumps, 2 sets of plug wires, vtec ecu, vtec solenoid, airbag w/good horn buttons, and a bunch of parts for 4d doors. couldnt beat it, and i needed the motor and tranny.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 ninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamminsloan View Post
i bought the whole car for $150 and drove it to my house. the guy i got it from was going to send it to the crusher because he didn't have a title. this guy had so many parts in the car to go with it (hes a retired mechanic that had a thing for civics). 2 alternators, 2 starters, 3 dizzys, a vtec d series head, non vtech head, heater core w/box, 2 radatiors, evap condenser, 2 fuel pumps, 2 sets of plug wires, vtec ecu, vtec solenoid, airbag w/good horn buttons, and a bunch of parts for 4d doors. couldnt beat it, and i needed the motor and tranny.
Sound set. Project? Vtec killer. Get you a b7 and put it on the y8.
Build til it rumbles.

88-89'??? crx hf special edition w/zc/z6 H.Comp,4n2 I.H.E,zc tranny w/1st stage street clutch, Si fly wheel, custom dual exhaust(y pipe), H&R suspension w/front to back sway bars,struts,heavy coils, shortshifter. milled z6 head, skunk 2 cam.

new edelbrock mani coming soon.
ninjajp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Ozwald will become famous soon enoughOzwald will become famous soon enoughOzwald will become famous soon enough

you could hook the vtec to a switch and manualy turn it on
Old 05-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozwald View Post
you could hook the vtec to a switch and manualy turn it on
NO

dont do this unless you want to lean the motor out and hurt it

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 05:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 sql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

If you're going to use the Y8 computer in the 97 hatch you will probably get the CEL for the fuel tank pressure sensor DTC P01456 (MIL 90). There are a few ways out of this and they have been discussed on this forum.

1 - Install a fuel tank pressure sensor and wire it into your ECU. (sucks)
2 - Wire in a potentiometer to your ECU to fake it out that there is a fuel tank pressure sensor. (works intermittently)
3 - Get a Y8 ECU from a del Sol since, like the hatch, it doesn't have the fuel tank pressure sensor. (works for me)

Another issue you may have is with the Y8 harness. (It's been a long time but from what I can recall...)

1 - The secondary O2 sensor wire could be an issue. The Y8 Civics' cat is located under the car while the Y7 Civics' cat is integrated into the exhaust header so that wiring is different. Look into it.

2 - I recall extending the IAT sensor wire. No big deal but check it out.

sql_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 05:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

WOW sql_civic?

blast from the past right there. you helped me out a ton when i was doing my stroker motor.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in