Fan Speed control - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 2 Pete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Fan Speed control

It's coming to that time of the year, I need the heater on, but only 3 and 4 speed work, 1 & 2 speed, ( most common ) don't work. So it's full and full blast heater, have to turn it on and off cos it's too much heating, and annoying.

I probably answer my own question, but it seem due to previous owner they probably only used 1 & 2 speed, connections worn out perhaps.

Is this a easy fix, to remove and clean the point contacts of 1 & 2 speed, or try to replace ?

1989 ED3

Thanks
Pete578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Never heard of this problem. It does sound like it could be worn contacts within the climate control unit but I’m not exactly sure if there’s something else that controls the fan speed.

Interested in the fix...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 2 Pete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respect

Here is a pic for the record.
I'll get it right way up later.
Seems I have to remove a lot of things to get to it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pete578; 04-26-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I've had them break so they only work when on high. The contacts for the resister are probably dirty. the resister has stopped working if you only have high. You may be able to clean them or you may need a new switch

Last edited by Evanguy; 04-27-2019 at 03:29 AM.
Evanguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2019, 05:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...x-how-2082345/

the resistor is usually the problem. easy fix, pretty cheap.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2019, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...x-how-2082345/

the resistor is usually the problem. easy fix, pretty cheap.
Thanks all, at least know where to start checking things.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

absolutely, resistor pack, 1 & 2 "not there" !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190428_FAN RESIST-1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	579.4 KB
ID:	125959   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190428_FAN RESIST-2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	611.2 KB
ID:	125961  
Old 04-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

to help, its called blower resistor at partsstores and generally 15 to 40 bucks

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

International Standard - 114.55 USD
Estimated Delivery Date: 2019-05-14

International Express - 158.17 USD
Estimated Delivery Date: 2019-05-09

Cost of delivery to Australia

https://tranzaction.bongous.com/pay/...c5cc618f3513e4

The resitor pack costs 14-15 USD, I can live with that.

What I don't understand is the delivery charges , has gone crazy past few years.

Is there a breakdown to pin point where the cost factor blows out ?
is it a tax, or is it actual cost of shipping per weight ?

The other solution, is a DIY fix.
I am no electronics wiz when it comes to calculations etc.

But, looking at it, can the coils be replaced with later technology electronics.
There is a store near by that sells all bits and pieces of electronics, resistors, etc etc.
But how do I calculate what I need, cos the store does not do the calculations, they assume one already knows what they are after

Last edited by slo_eg8; 04-28-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Amayama show they have one in stock, 47 AUD shipped to Adelaide.

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/honda/79330sh3003

Or there's a bunch of aftermarket ones on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Resisten...frcectupt=true

That's the cheapest one i found. ~22 AUD shipped

This is the part number, have a search, you might be able to find something cheaper:

79330-SH3-003

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ahaaa !
Got one, AMAZON AUSTRALIA
AU $21.30 ( free delivery )

Thank you, your order has been placed.
Please check your email for order confirmation and detailed delivery information

AUTO OEM # 79330SR3A01 Heater Blower Motor Resistor for Honda Civic/Civic del Acura Integra 1992 1993 1994 1995-2001 79330SR3A01 will be delivered to ****** from lovey-auto.
Estimated delivery: May 9, 2019 - May 21, 2019

Thanks EFB, was doing the searches while you posted.

I will use the one from the project car for now, and when the new one arrives, have it in stock. May buy another for spare, at least we know they are available locally.

This may also solve why the air-con did not work. Wait and see

Last edited by slo_eg8; 04-28-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete578 View Post
Thanks EFB, was doing the searches while you posted.

This may also solve why the air-con did not work. Wait and see
No worries, if your AC wasn't cold before, it wont be after replacing this i'm sorry to say haha. This just controls the blower speed.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

If what you posted from the amazon sale is correct, you ordered the wrong part for fitting an 89 civic

Build what you have!

Old 04-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
If what you posted from the amazon sale is correct, you ordered the wrong part for fitting an 89 civic
Yes the years did not match, but looking at the pictures they seem similar.

Wait n see.

Quote:
No worries, if your AC wasn't cold before, it wont be after replacing this i'm sorry to say haha. This just controls the blower speed.
The A/C was not coming on at all, the clutch was not engaging, no power to the A/C clutch.
There is no A/C now, as I did not put it all back on that road-side water pump repair back then.

For the record, this car I hope to spend minimal time n money on fixes while I concentrate mainly on the project car.
Hope to keep separate as I don't want one to be donor to the other.

Anyway, the fan is working on 2-3 & 4.
Speed 1 is not working when I swapped resistors.
Speed 2 is good enough for now, manageable.

I'll update when that part arrives, hopefully it does the job despite the year as matt pointed out.

Last edited by Pete578; 04-28-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

you don't have napa's or autozone's down undah?

hell, a pick and pull should have a ton of cars with parts left to rummage through.

and I don't think youll need a "spare" any time soon. Ive replaced 1 in my entire Honda owning career.....they don't fail often
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
you don't have napa's or autozone's down undah?

hell, a pick and pull should have a ton of cars with parts left to rummage through.

and I don't think youll need a "spare" any time soon. Ive replaced 1 in my entire Honda owning career.....they don't fail often
We got spare parts here, and ya go there for a comedy show, like they really don't know.
I asked once for clutch kit with thrust bearing on another car, the young dude was looking at his computer, and then asked, "is it manual or auto, sir"?

Yes we do have wreckers where you can rumage thru, but the ED range are becoming rare. The wreckers that do have a few in stock, just blow the prices out of proportion.
Another wrecker gets cars, no matter their rarity, 3 months max they in the yard then scrapped,squashed in production line fashion...gone forever.

They will remove old cars from properties and pay 100.00, but if you want to buy the car, they sell for 1000.00. Pirates the lot of them.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete578 View Post
We got spare parts here, and ya go there for a comedy show, like they really don't know.
I asked once for clutch kit with thrust bearing on another car, the young dude was looking at his computer, and then asked, "is it manual or auto, sir"?

(probably reading from a screen and doesn't give a shit about his job to put in the brain effort. common here too)

Yes we do have wreckers where you can rumage thru, but the ED range are becoming rare. The wreckers that do have a few in stock, just blow the prices out of proportion.
Another wrecker gets cars, no matter their rarity, 3 months max they in the yard then scrapped,squashed in production line fashion...gone forever.

(sounds like lkq here. comes in, and 90 days later gone.....cept they wont let you buy the whole car from the yard)

They will remove old cars from properties and pay 100.00, but if you want to buy the car, they sell for 1000.00. Pirates the lot of them.

MURICA!!!......wait, huh?

side note, how far away are you from the mighty car dudes?
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
MURICA!!!......wait, huh?

side note, how far away are you from the mighty car dudes?
https://www.upullit.com.au/

Good luck
Old 04-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Looking at that website, they have a white 1989 civic.

go hunting for parts!!

Build what you have!

Old 04-29-2019, 01:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Looking at that website, they have a white 1989 civic.
Everyone has been there, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in