oil leak 98 civic ex after head gasket replacement above distributer - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default oil leak 98 civic ex after head gasket replacement above distributer

my project car that i just put a new felpro gasket kit on has an oil leak coming from just above distributor like out of the cam seal? which was put in from machine shop? anyone else had problems here? distributor gasket, cam gasket, or valve cover gasket. also the valve cover bolt seals? how do you fit them over special valve cover bolt? seems impossible...
hella_036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

I replaced head gasket, timing belt and water pump*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190205_225102_1549429314918.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	125563   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190205_225112_1549429443582.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	125565  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for any help! I have spent a lot of time reading about these cars and am really glad I ended up with this thing to beat around in
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190205_225134_1549429593056.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	125567  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 2 Pete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respect

can't seem to see the pictures too well, but from what I can gather, maybe the rocker cover was over tightened, which squashes it, and it may leak ?

If you degrease the whole area, then look for the first drops of oil, then take a picture, post it right side up, we may be able to tell a bit better
Pete578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

I agree with Pete578. Have another look at the cover seal.
It's also worth checking that the distributor is properly sealed into the head.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

x3 valve cover gasket.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Yup it is leaking really good valve cover! Am I gonna have to order new gasket ? It was getting late when I put valve cover on!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190209_171412_1549755271292.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	125575  

Old 02-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Well, you could try re-seating it after cleaning all surfaces and making sure they're flat - it doesn't take long, after all. But there is also a chance that you've crushed it too much for it to work properly.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Take the cover off and examine the gasket for obvious damage. If there is none, clean everything up and reinstall w Hondabond/grey permatex on the corners.

I’ve reused VC gaskets many times without issues. Just make sure to seal the sharp corners where it goes on top of the cam.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

And even torquing pressure is helpful.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

I would say it's either the valve cover gasket or the distributor itself is leaking and the oil is getting tossed around. When my dizzy was leaking and I was driving on it every day, it looked just like that.

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
98 honda civic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in