Several general questions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Several general questions

So I am building a buggy with a d series engine. No sure which one yet.

So question number one: will an automatic tranny run without the engine harness plugged in to rhe ECU? Reason I ask is I may want to go carburate, but since it's an off road buggy I don't want to be shifting and clutching.

Question number two: if I DO go carburate, I thought about using a 83-87 civic/crx distributor. Question is will it fit? I know you can gut a d distributor and run an msd. But I thought that may be more simple. I know that it is hard/impossible to adjust it to be able to start and have enough timing for high rpms. The range just isn't there. But I want really see super high rpms I. This buggy. I'll likely stay in the low end of the rpm range.

Question three: if I do go manual, can someone please point me to a good shift linkage setup for rear mount? I know they do it on old school minis, so I may start there. Thanks.
Hondabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

I should clarify, I am talking about the vacuum advanced distributor from the carbed versions in question number 2.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Why would you want to put a carb on there?

If you're savvy on the net, all the ED D series here in Australia are twin carb. You may find someone willing to ship one, they're dime a dozen. Alternatively you might find one pop up on eBay. the benefits obviously being they're already vac advance distributors and you can use the mechanical fuel pump that's incorporated into the head/cam.

Why not just go fuel injected though?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
Why would you want to put a carb on there?

If you're savvy on the net, all the ED D series here in Australia are twin carb. You may find someone willing to ship one, they're dime a dozen. Alternatively you might find one pop up on eBay. the benefits obviously being they're already vac advance distributors and you can use the mechanical fuel pump that's incorporated into the head/cam.

Why not just go fuel injected though?
I thought carbs would be easier really. I'm no so new to D series but I am new to them out side of a car. A lot less wiring is the main reason.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

There would definitely be less wiring, but i doubt its going to be easier. Also, unless you're a carb whisperer it'll never run as good as factory EFI.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Get a complete running setup from a car, something that maybe runs like crap or blew up and rebuild it, you then will have everything to swap it over, I got a 2000 EX civic blown motor full car for $150. Someone on here had a mid engine powered D-series and had a custom built linkage for the trans, looked like a huge u joint thing, it's able to be done.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in