2000 HX Coupe Build - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 2000 HX Coupe Build

Ok first post here. Thanks for having me. I have a 92 miata with a 1.8l ive been turbocharging and building as a track car. So i have some experience with tuning and forced induction (limited). So i bought this 2000 coupe and was gonna daily it but i decided i needed boost. Just bought a chipped p28 and chip.
So heres my plan...

Buy a 250$ crashed 95 civic ex with a d16z6 and manual trans part out the rest to make some money back.

build that engine as follows

car 95 civic coupe ex parts care -250
p2p0 rods + vitara piston 375
Cometic Bottom End Gasket Kit for Honda 57
cometic Top End Gasket kit-150
acl rod race and main bearings- 100
TRE 750CC HONDA / DENSO STYLE FUEL INJECTORS - 150
Obd2b to obd1 conversion harness injectors -10
cast bottom mount 60
rywire obd1 to obd2 dizzy 35
alternator-free
turbo - free
wideband-80
boost gauge 30
exhaust-30
arp head bolts 120
timing belt water pump 60
xtr 4 puck clutch - 150
walboro 450-100
high grade bolts 20
intercooler + piping 150

the car has a skunk2 exhaust im planning on running the dowpipe to.
So i have a sr20 redtop garrett turbo. Plans for bigger power later down the road, external wastegate bigger turbo, skunk2 valve springs and intake. But i want to go slow, do you think this block and build would be good to start. later i can get a external waste gate axles... but do you think this setup would be good to start. I mean its around 1700$ (after the ecu i bought for 200 with a chip and obd2b to obd1 conversion harness) so im already on the road lol. I work at a machine shop so i can resurface the head and balance the crank and all that jazz. You think this is a good starting plan? Any super obvious newb fuckups? Im new to the honda world but trying to start out right. Eventually nice big turbo proper manifold built head make some real power... (450+) but on this setup with this turbo id like to push 220. And then same setup bigger turbo push maybe 320( just add axles) then save up after that for the big push to 400+... Any advice?
4banger_life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes

I am always for having an engine you can run in the car while you're building another one. At least this keeps the chassis moving, and the car still useful. One of the best ways to let a car go to shit is to let it sit for years and never be driven (I'm in this mess right now and it's costing a f****** fortune).

If the chassis you want to boost is in decent shape, and it is still useful in the meantime while you build another engine for the turbo, go for it!

It looks like you were able to price most of what you will need for less than 2 grand, sticking with tried and tested parts that most members here most likely also run. Your injectors seem sized appropriate for your power target, and then some. You shouldn't need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to hit 220ish.

The stock transmission should be OK for that power level as well, the axles will stress a bit but as long as you're not continually driving stupid with them the joints should last a while before they begin to click.

Sounds like a good plan for the build. Since you already have a socketted P28, you will need a custom tuned eeprom from one of the many sites out there that allow you to post your build specs, and they burn you a chip with a base tune that will allow you to get to your tuner (25-40 bucks shipped). Make sure to budget $400ish for a good tune afterwards, possibly more depending on the time as it doesn't seem like you are going to be running Hondata or Neptune, etc. where you would have the ability to tune and tweak yourself afterwards if needed.

From personal experience, I always add in $500 extra to what my base total estimate was, as I always forget about small dumb shit during the build like fasteners, fittings, hose, fluids/oils, tires, brakes, wheel bearings, and the multitude of random other crap that ultimately is needed to get everything running smooth on the road and trouble free.

I usually find that AFTER my bulk parts purchase, that the little things end up destroying any hint of my budget goal I set... everytime lol.
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the response man, definately going aem fuel rail and fpr. That chasis fell through but im looking for another engine right now either a y8 or z6. Definately adding in 500 for stuff im missing, got a base chip for a d16z6 with fi and those injectors on the way with my p28. Ya the axles were a worry but im gonna baby em. I feel ya on having a chasis sit my miatas been sittin since jaunaury just becuase of stupid little stuff i forgot and i feel ya big time on the extra budget lol. Im trying to learn from my first build and do this one "right" not gonna rush into gonna save for the next 2 months and then start buying parts as i can. Want to get the engine build up fully first. Then manifold, and external stuff and flashy bits. Im hoping to use my machine shop i work at to make some cool custom pieces. Ill definitely start a build thread when i start! Also the hx coupe has 200k so im gonna do all the bushings and buy none 200$ ebay shit coils (they came on the car) and its got decent lcas in the rear gonna go full disc brakes! Just ordered a set of adv1 5 spoke wheels 15x6.5 and snow tires, look forward to driving this thing stock to the mountain lol. Hopefully i can have the engine built with another trans on it all ready to drop in by feburary, really dont want to make the same mistake as my miata and drop 1200 and thne be broke and have another 2k in parts i buy over the next 8 months (it almost runs!). But ya thats all in the future, to start i'd just like to build a clean d series get it ready, then drop it in over a weekend. Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. Know im kinda new but im learning alot here! The d16y5 is great lol it burns about 1/2 a quart every 2k miles but runs like a champ and great mpg lmao!
Old 11-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

I really feel ya on the budget tho set mine at 3k for the miata and its over an amount i dont even wanna think about and i havent even done that much its mostly just ordering parts that dont fit or dont work like i want them to and reordering... and that thing has a stock block right now lmao!
Old 11-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banger_life View Post
I really feel ya on the budget tho set mine at 3k for the miata and its over an amount i dont even wanna think about and i havent even done that much its mostly just ordering parts that dont fit or dont work like i want them to and reordering... and that thing has a stock block right now lmao!
I'm at 7 grand so far, and the chassis is still sitting in my driveway, and the engine is on a stand sitting in the garage!

It's got a badass chassis right now, 4 wheel discs, all new bearings/bushings/shocks/fuel tank/random body work, etc. Too many damn things to list! I've worked on this car so much just trying to resurrect it from total shit to "slightly OK" and it still isn't where it needs to be!

I estimate another 3 grand to get it right, and that doesn't even include cage, seat, shocks, big brake kit, etc for the track next year! $5 more total, and she'll be done with the one engine.

One of the biggest mistakes I did was build two engines/transmissions together for one car, to be able to swap between the D series turbo and the B series NA, building both transmissions with helical LSD's/bearings/carbon synchros. It's been crazy, and of all the money I've put into these items neither will be done until around Feburary 2019 at least!

I stopped pumping money/work into the B series for now, and focusing on the D turbo as the engine that will power this track monkey first!

Like you said, most of the time and money goes in to me being picky and trying something just to see if it works lol. In the end though, it will be my own creation and nothing else out there will be exactly like mine. I'm just like that lmao! Sounds like you are as well!

Post some pics of both your builds sometime!
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in