need a lil help - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default need a lil help

I just got finished building a D16 Z6 new Pistons new rings new crank and everything. I got about 600 miles on the motor now and I've noticed I took off today and I had a little smoke coming out of the car but if the car is just idling there's no smoke coming out and i looked back there at the exhaust I noticed some black soot oh my back bumper.. Is something I need to worry about
bwoodall22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Could be a bunch of things, but the soot makes it sound like you're running rich. Are you running the original ECU?

Do you notice what colour the smoke is that you saw?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Really can't tell what color the smoke was and yeah I'm running the stock ECU
Old 10-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Are you still running a cat? Any engine lights? How does the car drive?

Old 10-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

not cat and its running good
Old 10-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

If it's running fine, it doesn't sound like it's anything to be worried about. If the smoke turns out to be oil burning, just make sure you keep on top of your oil levels.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes

What mechanical mods have you done to the engine? Did you replace all gaskets and seals? Did you make a change in compression ratio at all?

If you put in pistons/rods that lower compression ratio, this can affect in-cylinder burn efficiency and will cause more unburned fuel to be turned into soot when getting into high engine load ranges.

Pay close attention to the smoke color. Depending on the load conditions, as long as it is black you should have nothing to worry about. If it was rolling coal like a freaking diesel while cruising, yes you should worry haha but if it puffs out a light cloud of black that is pretty normal especially without a cat.

Everything after an engine rebuild makes a driver nervous lol, black smoke is pretty normal when romping on it. Just be on the lookout for blue. Sometimes its hard to tell from the driver seat what color the smoke is, have a friend behind follow you to report the smoke color for better verification.
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Agree 100% everything seems off after a fresh rebuild lol.color of smoke is super important in diagnosing the issue.also pull spark plugs and inspect , generally spark plugs are a window into your combustion.
Pacificjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in