Porting and polishing - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2018, 02:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Porting and polishing

I have done searches and still not 100% ... have any of you done any porting of your intake manifold and or head ? Im specifically thinking of the d16y7.im going to gasket match the intake and exhaust on the head.for the combustion chambers im thinking of removing any casting marks /lines and the sharp edge above the valves.of you that havedone this , did you use an electric dremel type ? Or an air powered tool ? I have a dremel , and access to an air poweredat work but with no pedal.also what did you use ? Stones , sanding rolls , carbide bits ??
Im going to leave the exhaust ports mrror polished but undecided on intake ports grit ?
Thanks guys
Pacificjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2018, 05:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

For the amount of time and work that can go into this particular project, it's really more for the super enthusiast than the gains. Unless you're majorly modded with some heavy forced induction and a monster cam, you'll not see any real gains. What WILL make improvements are very simple, and you've stated your intent on them: removing casting defects and port matching. No need to mirror polish your exhaust, the shit will still stick. It may be less likely to do so, but it happens, I've personally seen it. You'd do better putting that mirror finish on your combustion chamber really. The less carbon buildup you develop here, the less likely you are to develop hot spots and/or detonation FROM those hotspots.
Dremel is fine, just be careful about the chuck. Don't go too aggressive with the grit, it'll get away from you. Too fine and you'll take hours on something that would take moments.
txdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Also there's a bit of science to the shape of the ports, and without a flow testing bench you're basically pissing your time into the wind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Don't waste your time with y7 junk. Go look for and read the y8 manifold swap thread.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 02:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the knowledge drop .i appreciate i.my goal is 400whp ,i thougjt at that power l3ve the home porting wold gve areciable gains , more piwer forvthe same amunt of boost.il stick to port matching and casting flaw smoothing
Old 10-02-2018, 02:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

I qasnt specific enough my bad , i plan to use the y7 head butabsolutely toss the irds nest y7 mani away, i had the y8 int mani on my y7 boosted setup (n porting though) .iwill mst likelyrun a skunk 2 ro or edebrock int mani on this build wth light home pn of y7 head
Old 10-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Is there any place to get a quality cheap manifold? I already have a stock Y8 manifold that I will reuse for my build. I'd like to run a better intake manifold in the near future.
Declipsem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Skunk 2 intake manifolds are pretty cheap almost anywhere you buy them
Old 10-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

there are no aftermarket manifolds that outperform the d16z6 or d16y8 intakes enough to be worth the price, even if you find them under $250

a cleaned up factory z6 or y8 intake manifold will be fine, and perform well enough even with a good camshaft and high compression setup.

Use edelbrock perofrmerX manifold when you are knocking on the door of 160whp and need every little bit to push the numbers higher.

EDIT I overlooked your eventual goal of 400whp.

The d16y8 intake manifold is gonna work jsut fine for you. Boosted cars dont need perfection in the intake or exhaust. Spend the spare money on a turbo blanket and a nice fuel setup

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

Last edited by mattliston; 10-13-2018 at 08:07 PM.
mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in