D16 shortcomings? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16 shortcomings?

We're currently on another road trip. Usually, we take the 5th Gen Prelude but it's still a bit poorly, so we're in the Integra. It isn't as good, to be honest.

To explain.

Two days ago, we were crossing Europe's highest paved pass (9000 feet ish) and the engine started to run hot. The gauge went to three-quarters ...
The road is full of short straights and hairpins and stiff climbs and to get any real grunt in the thin air, the D16ZC needed 3500 rpm or over. It was all second gear. At a guess the ambient temperature was in the mid-80s F.

Once we'd let the car cool and checked that no oil or water had been lost, it ran as normal. It was fine today as well in similar conditions.

It's the first time I've seen the gauge cross the half way mark, and the first time I've really cursed the damn thing for its lack of torque.

I can only conclude that I asked the machine to do something it wasn't really designed for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

time for radiator/t-stat/hose/fluid upgrades...
KustomARBuildr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

You should be able to beat on it without the temps rising. Time for a service as above^ i reckon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

I forgot to mention that it was serviced before the run with new fluids except for the gearbox and brakes.

I really do think the issue's with the gearing in an unusual set of circumstances. The hairpins were tight and the gradients such that changing up to 3rd wasn't workable unless I could get to 4000 rpm in 2nd - and the straights were far too often too short for this. A shorter gap between 2nd and 3rd would have helped.

Either way, the car will be looked over when we finally get home.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Hard to tell, but if the radiator is still original, there's a chance that some of the passages have corroded and closed which can obviously reduce its effectiveness. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to diagnose, because often they'll still flow coolant just only through a few passages.

If you've taken hoses off before and noticed corrosion on the inside of the hoses or alloy surfaces you can imagine that the fine tubing in the radiator is also full of the same.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

I think everyone is really overlooking the high altitude. It was probably running lean and with such a heavy chassis and awd to boot I'm sure it was just a case of being under a lot of load and you were shifting way too soon.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

The point was, I couldn't shift up at anywhere near the start of the good bits on the torque curve, so had to keep the revs where they fell, or else stay in first for longer than felt good for the car. The pass in question had long, long climbs.

I think what you say about the altitude (ie: thin air) is relevant.

Another issue may have been the petrol. Although we've got nowhere near the same conditions since the SE corner of France, I feel the engine's been happier since we got into Germany (and just this evening, home in England).

Despite the overheating thing - and something else I'll tell you about at another time - we had a great trip. I feel another pictorial thread coming on!

Old 09-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
I feel another pictorial thread coming on!
Yes please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in