Speedo Fuse Location - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Speedo Fuse Location

Hey guys. I have a 93 EJ1 that is fully stripped and used as a 24 hours of lemons race car. I have swapped to an OBD 1 GSR motor and trans from a 94 DC2. I have never had any real issues with the swap. Well my speedo went out for some unknown reason. I swapped the speedo and then the entire cluster. Before I go and spend the money on a 2 bolt speed sensor I was wondering if there was a fuse that might have blown.

I have tried to look this up but haven't had any luck. Also my fuse box inside the car is pretty much useless because I don't use any of the stock systems. Also if it is there, I need to know which fuse exactly because I don't have the cover either.

Thanks for any help guys. If there isn't a fuse I guess I'm stuck looking for a sensor.
red97tib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

check the vss. theyre fairly cheap and found in most pick and pulls
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

https://honda-tech.com/how-tos/a/hon...iagrams-374430
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

79hilux90crx - That was the same diagrams I was finding online. I didn't see speedo or anything there that might makes since. Instrument cluster was the closest thing but that also controlled the alternator which seems to be working fine. I guess I will try a new VSS.

slo eg8 - I figured it was a VSS but those are super rare to find in the pick and pull we have here. The OBD1 GSR appears to have a different sensor than D-series or OBD2 B-series transmissions.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Checked all fuses and all have continuity. Replaced the VSS with a new one. Checked and cleaned all grounds. Still no working speedometer. Really weird.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

The circuit isnt tricky one. Grab the FSM and get diagnosing.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Yeah, I'm just running out of ideas. I think chasing wiring continuity for the VSS and the cluster.

I did see a couple of YouTube videos where people had soldered the circuit board on the back of the speedo. They said they did this due to micro fractures in the OEM joints.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

There's also a signal to the ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red97tib View Post
Yeah, I'm just running out of ideas. I think chasing wiring continuity for the VSS and the cluster.

I did see a couple of YouTube videos where people had soldered the circuit board on the back of the speedo. They said they did this due to micro fractures in the OEM joints.
If you've already swapped the cluster, it's unlikely both had the same issue.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

I agree it is unlikely but I am wracking my head trying to figure out what the issue could be.

So I checked the voltage on the harness to the VSS and it showed the 12 volt power and the 5 volt signal. I checked the input voltage on the cluster speedo wire to be 12 volt as soon as the key is on and remains there through all gears. I would assume this is supposed to be a 0-5v signal. So my guess is that I have a short that is over energizing the speedo somewhere. Does this sound likely?

Sorry for all the questions on this. I'm supposed to take this care on a couple hundred mile charity rally in a week and I really need the speedo working, otherwise it is phone app time. LOL.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by red97tib View Post
I agree it is unlikely but I am wracking my head trying to figure out what the issue could be.

So I checked the voltage on the harness to the VSS and it showed the 12 volt power and the 5 volt signal. I checked the input voltage on the cluster speedo wire to be 12 volt as soon as the key is on and remains there through all gears. I would assume this is supposed to be a 0-5v signal. So my guess is that I have a short that is over energizing the speedo somewhere. Does this sound likely?

Sorry for all the questions on this. I'm supposed to take this care on a couple hundred mile charity rally in a week and I really need the speedo working, otherwise it is phone app time. LOL.
You should not have 12V at the gauge. It should be a pulsing voltage. Have you got an FSM for how-to testing? If not PM me your email address and i'll send you one

Old 09-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

I have a factory service manual. And I've gone through all the testing it recommends and more. I have run out of ideas on how to fix this. I'm just out of ideas on how this happened. I have to have a short somewhere. I guess I will start going wire by wire until I find it.

Thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in