Starting issue - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Starting issue

My car hasnt wanted to start while the engine was up to temp for a while but now it doesnt matter if its warm or cold, it just doesn't want to start. Have to pump it and crank for 5-10 seconds to get it started and have to hold it at 2-3k rpm for another 10 seconds to keep it from dying. After that, it drives just fine. Cars a 90 wagon 1.5 fwd. Anything I should look for?
Irezel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Have you ever serviced it?

Have you tried anything?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Never brought a car to a shop, probably never will. If its something I cant do, I take it to my dad whos a mechanic. I like to do as much as possible my self though.

And the car has a bunch of new stuff with less then 3k miles like new plugs/wires/dis cap/dis rotor/fuel filter/battery/ alt/head gasket/radiator/all 3 temp sensors/volt,oil press, temp gauge. Probably more im forgetting. Also the throttle bodies been cleaned as well as the ivac. Ran seafoam in the fuel. Mystery oil in the oil
Old 08-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

The car has overheated before at got over 230 degrees, There may or may not be a tiny crack in the head. Havent been able to confirm it or not though. As far as i can tell, oil and coolant arnt mixing
Old 08-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Can your dad do a compression / leak down test?

Did this problem start after some event in particular?

Old 08-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

I can ask him, and the car not wanting to start when warm didnt happen until after the car overheated and blew a head gasket. And not wanting to start in any temp just happened one day
Old 08-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Now we're getting somewhere. Did you have the head resurfaced? Are you losing coolant? Get those tests i mentioned done first, sounds like it could be a leak that's getting progressively worse.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

The head was not resurfaced. I needed the car for work so i had about a 4 hour time window to get it running. It was cleaned up though. I dont think im losing coolant but it should be full so ill try to add more. Idk if this is important or not, but it did take over 20 mins to bleed the coolant and im not 100% sure if it was done bubbling when we stopped. He doesnt have the tool to do a leak down test. Also can a intake leak cause this? Like I said, i had very limited time to get it running and none of the local part stores had an intake gasket so we had to make one using cardboard and rtv
Old 08-20-2018, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irezel View Post
The head was not resurfaced. I needed the car for work so i had about a 4 hour time window to get it running. It was cleaned up though. I dont think im losing coolant but it should be full so ill try to add more. Idk if this is important or not, but it did take over 20 mins to bleed the coolant and im not 100% sure if it was done bubbling when we stopped. He doesnt have the tool to do a leak down test. Also can a intake leak cause this? Like I said, i had very limited time to get it running and none of the local part stores had an intake gasket so we had to make one using cardboard and rtv
The RTV on the mating surface would've been much more effective without some ghetto cardboard gasket sandwiched in there.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thats how I was told to do it. Do you think that could be the cause? And ill go ahead and have the part store order it tomorrow
Old 08-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....

As well, are you sure the cam is timed correctly?
Old 08-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

No im not sure if the timing correct, thats something we actually ment to look at but forgot i guess. And I was able to put about 1 or 2 cups of coolant in it, it was full about 500 miles ago. Also discovered one spark plug drenched in oil. I previously replaced the valve cover gaskets to fix this and it seamed to worked for 1-2 moths so im going to order the lower tube o rings. And i ordered the intake gasket, i can pick it up tomorrow
Old 08-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Thats how I was told to do it. Do you think that could be the cause? And ill go ahead and have the part store order it tomorrow
Probably not, but if it starts to leak you'd probably notice it racing at idle.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

What do you think it could be then? im replacing the intake gasket and lower tube seals in about 5 days when the part comes in
Old 08-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
What do you think it could be then? im replacing the intake gasket and lower tube seals in about 5 days when the part comes in
I'd be checking these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpilot View Post
...timed correctly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
...compression / leak down test?...

Old 08-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

We checked the timing and its good, also checked fuel pressure, it was good as well. He doesnt have a leak down tester and he said he doesnt know anyone with one. From what i see, it will cost about the same to do that test as it would be to get a replacement head. And ill do compression test another day when its not so hot outside. He thinks the coil maybe why its not wanting to start. Im going to replace it when i do the intake gasket and the lower tube seals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in