Random No Crank No Start Issue. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 StuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

What's up everybody.
So I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX 5 speed and sometimes when I try to start my car I go to the start position nothing happens.
All my dash lights turn on, I could hear my fuel pump prime and my ECU? click.
This is been going on for a couple weeks now and I always had to call a tow truck.
Today I got stuck for 30 minutes even swapped out the battery for a new one cuz my old one was at 55% she said, at AutoZone and it still wouldn't start.
They tested it a couple weeks back and the battery starter and alternator came back all good.
I'm thinking it's the ignition switch and here's why. Some people tried to break into my car and jamed in the screwdriver in the ignition and turn it to the on position and then a couple months later it has been harder to put in and sometimes it takes a couple tries to turn the key all the way to on.

I have a Viper alarm system with the starter kill switch but I'm not sure if the alarm cuz I was able to start it right away after a few tries.
So I went ahead and bought a beck & arney ignition control switch assembly off of Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/progress-trac...ntId=DKz57kdvb
I tested the leads on the ignition switch with a fuse light and they all worked even the start one when I was able to turn it on haven't tested it when it's been missing up.
At first it would do it maybe once or twice, today i tried cranking it for about 30 times within an half hour and then after I let it sit for 5 minutes while I smoked a cigarette it turned back on and it's been running ever since.
Anybody have any any experience when it comes to something like this?
The starter doesn't click. I don't think its getting power cuz of the ignition switch key module or wiring issue.

Last edited by StuckInTexas; 08-18-2018 at 04:50 PM.
StuckInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2018, 01:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

No crank/no start could be a couple different switches; ignition switch, alarm starter kill, even the clutch safety switch. I would certainly replace the ignition switch since you know that's kinda jacked, but you may check out the wiring for your alarm system as well. Also that clutch safety switch too. Pain in the ass to get to but the brain box for the security system will probably be in that area anyways. Lol
txdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 StuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the community

So I tested the starter signal wire with my multimeter said it's 12 volts and I got a reading of 12.5 and then it went down to 11.3 if you held it for a second. So looks like I'm getting power to the starter and tonight to start it was clicking every time I was trying to turn over so has to be the starter right?
Old 08-21-2018, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTexas View Post
So I tested the starter signal wire with my multimeter said it's 12 volts and I got a reading of 12.5 and then it went down to 11.3 if you held it for a second. So looks like I'm getting power to the starter and tonight to start it was clicking every time I was trying to turn over so has to be the starter right?
If the starter is getting good power and it's not wanting to engage, I'd say that's your issue.
txdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

So I still can't get this car to crank. The battery checks out fine. I checked the starter switch relay and the black and red wire going to the starters getting power. The clutch switch is also working and there is continuity. The ignition switch is working and I tested it to the factory service manual procedure and we switch past. I checked all the fuses that's related to the battery power distribution and ecu's and they're all fast and have continuity. I have no idea what to do next can somebody help me out?
Old 08-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Checked your grounds?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
Checked your grounds?
I double checked the grounds and even tho the wire was tight the bracket that holds the ground wire from the chassis to tranny was barely loose. I tightened that up and it started right up! Thanks for the help y'all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in