Stock D16Y8 performance cam stage 2 or 3 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Talking Stock D16Y8 performance cam stage 2 or 3

Hello everyone!

I was wondering, could i install a stage 2 or stage 3 camshaft on my Stock D16Y8, i can imagine upgrading the valve train is always recommended but will the lower block hold the extra performance i have 180k Kilometers on the dash, is this doable ? or should i wait for my full engine build ?

Any recommendations ? tune ?

Thanks already!
jack-armando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Nothing you do to the valvetrain or camshaft will "out power" the block.

They hold 200whp with a turbo and a good tune just fine.

That said, a camshaft upgrade wont do a hole heck of a lot until you increase the engine compression.

You WILL be able to get some noticeable power, and perhaps a bit better hgih RPM performance with a cam upgrade, but higher compression is usually the key to success when doing all motor, even when mild.

When tuning, just keep the RPMs under 8k until you cleanup the oil pump pathways

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

What do you want from the engine?

cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2018, 06:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the reply guys, Anyways

I'am looking for a way to slightly increase HP (for now)

I thought this would fall under the N/A but i will explain the future of this car.

I have a D16Y8 and have some light mods.

- Long intake manifold (behind bumper)
- Straight pipe ( No Cat, No mid muffler)

Things that in my vision will increase HP Slightly would be

- Cam upgrade (mid to high RPM)
- lighter flywheel
- Bigger throttle body 70mm
ect, ect,

I Won't increase the compression because i will be boosting this engine with 15 psi on a build engine, Shooting for 400HP over here.

So i was looking for stuff to do what will increase HP and benefit the future car.
But i can imagine that everything there is, is already called or u have more stuff in mind ?

I don't know if setting the timing different will increase Much hp, i think it only would make the car less save to drive + it's quite hard to get the right timing before the knocking starts.

I think the car would already be way faster with a

- Cam upgrade (mid to high RPM)
- lighter flywheel
- Bigger throttle body 70mm

and a good tune! Would u guys still think after these upgrades the car would hold up ?

Anyways thanks for the help already
Old 08-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

I wouldn’t install a cam without springs but that’s just me. You’ll also want to make sure to tune for the cam...that’ll be a major factor in how the engine responds.

I’d forego the flywheel and the TB and focus on springs and the tune.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Pound for pound, a straight out engine tune (if you have the ability) will net you a decent increase in performance alone. How I started on mine was all bolt ons; intake, intake manifold, throttle body, full catless exhaust, Neptune engine management. Then went clutch and flywheel, suspension. Then the block build and turbo. Stock engine with a cam will be disappointing for you. Especially at stock compression, no matter what bolt ons you've added. I'd save the cam til after the build.
txdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!

Changing the flywheel has no effect on outright power. A 70mm TB will kill any low-mid range throttle response.

A stage 2 cam + compression (shave the head a tiny bit) + tune. You can re-use 2 of the 3 things when you go turbo. You'd just need to change the pistons to drop compression when you go turbo.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanide View Post
Changing the flywheel has no effect on outright power. A 70mm TB will kill any low-mid range throttle response.

A stage 2 cam + compression (shave the head a tiny bit) + tune. You can re-use 2 of the 3 things when you go turbo. You'd just need to change the pistons to drop compression when you go turbo.
With PROPER tuning, the higher compression can be managed even with boost. You cannot trust some backyard yahoo from a forum though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2018, 04:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Yeah, what bone said.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 StuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the community

Get a Delta 260 cam.
Dual Y8 intake valve springs.
Hi-Profiles fuel injectors.
NGK plugs and wire.
Custom basemap.
StuckInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Oke thanks for the info guys, i know what to do now ^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in