Question can I put an obd2 head onto an obd1 block - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Question can I put an obd2 head onto an obd1 block

So I am currently running a jdm d15b in my 94 civic found a y8 head but it is obd2 for 35 dollars can I put them together I googled and didnt find an answer

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
wryalsjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

No, im pretty sure you did not google anything, unfortunately.

Which d15b do you have? there are OBD1 and OBD2 versions, and nonvtec and vtec versions.

That info is what is needed to see how you need to do the cam timing properly, as that will raise 3 different timing scenarios, or at least 2, to choose from, to correctly time the engine

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

First off your comment was not called for I do google shit before I ask questions and it is an obd1 its in my 94 civic and its basically the d15b7

Old 07-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

depends on what head it is. some are obd2a and others are obd2b....and if you want to go further down the rabbit hole, some are 1.7 liter obd2a2.

I think you need to work on your google-fu.

search "d16 mini me definition"

report back to the class with your result.

also, grow some thick skin and don't be so damn salty.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I was hoping you would take my comment as "im not searching the correct terms"

kinda like if you had asked "how to time a d16"

the reply you would instantly get is WHAT D16?

Im trying to get the fire going, not blow it out.

I do a better job when Im a bit flustered. I do a shit job if Im handed the answer every time.

Build what you have!

Old 07-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

No I feel it my bad just I get frustatrated I searched and have been searching even through the threads and stickies I just didnt see anything on Hondas or it was really late seems like only time I can google stuff is when my kids are asleep and its summer break right now and I have four kids and working 6 days a week. Btw happy fourth wverybody

Old 07-04-2018, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

then break it down into chunks.

find out what motor you have, since you havent said.

Then do a basic search like vtec d15b jdm, and see if anything pops up

Then start searching d15b head swap and go from there.

I like looking at head gaskets in parts diagrams, it lets you get a feel for the similarities and differences pretty well.

Thas how I find out project information, like the 5lug swap I wanna do with my accord.

Build what you have!

Old 07-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

My bad ya my engine is the single non vtec pretty much a d15b7

Old 07-04-2018, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

I just figured y would I put a different vtec head where a different vtec head was. Its just I have a opportunity to buy a d16y8 for 50 buck or head for 35 so was really wondering what is better a d16y8. Or buy tye head and my jdm block and the y8 head. The head is obd2 my block is obd1

Old 07-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

https://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...ts-please.html

https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid...iteup-2147115/

b7 block with y8 head | HondaSwap

google-fu is still weak. 'with great knowledge, comes great respon'.... I mean red dots
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 07-04-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

I find searching for stuff like this much easier on a desktop compared to a mobile device. You can scan through content faster too see what's relevant and open a bunch of tabs and flick between them much quicker.

Maybe i just have potatos for fingers, but searching on a mobile... I'd rather pull teeth.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

I don't have cable right now or internet so all I have is my mobile at the moment I'm just trying to plan for next spring. I have a couple go carts I'm trying to get in order.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Also my question was about obd1 block and ob2 head not so much about the mini me swap

Old 07-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

it doesn't matter. the car is obd1, therefore youre going to retain your obd1 sensors..... "you cant see the woods for the trees"
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Ok thank u just wasn't sure because I can buy a d16y8 for fifty bottom end needs rebuilt or the head for 35

Old 07-04-2018, 06:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

still wouldn't matter. you'd be using the obd1 sensors.....you would just have to convert the distributor plug....or use the b7 since it will supposedly bolt up.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Thank u for the links slo_eg8
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
Old 07-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

as far as Im concerned, if the whole motor is 50, just the head is 35, but the engine itself needs a rebuild, the REAL question is WHY??

If its a spun bearing, it most likely got starved of oil. SHIT HEAD.

If it overheated badly. SHIT HEAD.

If it was over-revved to the moon from a missed gear, most likely SHIT HEAD.

In short, dont waste time on cylinder heads from a burned motor unless you are WILLING and ABLE to get the head checked out at a local machine shop. You never know a heads condition by simply looking at it.

Build what you have!

Old 07-04-2018, 08:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
as far as Im concerned, if the whole motor is 50, just the head is 35, but the engine itself needs a rebuild, the REAL question is WHY??

If its a spun bearing, it most likely got starved of oil. SHIT HEAD.

If it overheated badly. SHIT HEAD.

If it was over-revved to the moon from a missed gear, most likely SHIT HEAD.

In short, dont waste time on cylinder heads from a burned motor unless you are WILLING and ABLE to get the head checked out at a local machine shop. You never know a heads condition by simply looking at it.
Thank u for the links slo_eg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in