The opposite of "overheating and my fans wont kick on" - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

So i NEVER overheat, once lost coolant on a driving road because my overflow tipped over and siphoned out and the gauge indicated warm (started shooting moonward) so i know that works fine.

But once my cooling fans kick on (within 5 minutes of reaching closed loop) they stay on.

Our other obd1 civic kicks the fan on and then it switches off.

Data show ect at a nearly unwavering temp just below 190 (188-189 degrees) but rarely changes once warm, seems to register/change fine as it warms up. Is this normal? Fan operation doesnt effect ect temp. Temp seems to fluctuate at the gauge, but not at ect. For example if I take it out of gear and hold 1500 rpm coasting down a long hill on the highway, the temp gauge creeps down slightly, data shows ect does not.

We dont have datalogging on the other car so i cant compare.

Wanna make sure its not actually that close to being so hot that the fan has gotta run all day before i start forcing air into this thing.

Aside from that its kinda annoying.

Last edited by evotec1; 05-25-2018 at 10:28 PM.
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2018, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

If you wait for a warm day, then go beat on it a bit and see if your temps start to creep. It's possible that you're just right on the edge of maintaining temperature.

Are you datalogging with Hondata? Are you running the fans off the switch or the FANC overheat protection?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

My fan doesn’t turn on until after 200F and will cycle on and off when idling in my garage with no outside airflow.

EBF055 makes a good point. Make sure it’s running off the switch and not an ECU parameter

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I had a similar issue on my 96 accord....turns out the sending unit for the gauge was bad, hooked up to the obd2 port, was actually operating at ~240
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Mine kicked on at 182 today, and will kick on at idle and stay lit indefinitely. Iats today ranged from 88-136 so it was pretty warm and temp in tunerview stayed 188.2 in traffic, then at 60, then down a hill, then in hot azz traffic.... didnt budge .1 degree.

Either tunerview is messing up or the ect sensor is messin up or I'm gonna overheat when I go turbo... ive seen h22s run half rads tho so I should be nowhere near overloading the system as is, making maybe 100hp. Hmmm. I sure hope its a sensor issue.

What does an ect sensor act like when its on the fritz?
Old 05-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Do you have a resistance curve table to diagnose it further?

Old 05-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Is that how one would go about testing the sensor? No, i dont though.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Key on engine off, COLD engine, compare ect vs iat, they should be within a few degrees of each other.
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2018, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherchris View Post
Key on engine off, COLD engine, compare ect vs iat, they should be within a few degrees of each other.
This would be easier. Also check the resistance of the sensor after the fan comes on at operating temp (disconnect the plug and you should get between 200-400 ohms).

Old 06-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Yeah they are similar at cold startup. It rises to 188 and never higher, and the fans stay pegged.

Should I do a stress test and run it w less coolant to see if itll show over 188? Or just say effet and throw parts at it? I need to rewire my o2 sensor ground and clean the tstat housing up anyway, a new temp sensor and tstat are cheap
Old 06-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Or hey, what if i just unpluggerred the fan and see if it heats up?
Old 06-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by evotec1 View Post
Or hey, what if i just unpluggerred the fan and see if it heats up?
I'd just replace the temp sensor, but idling without the fans plugged in should see temps creep.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Yeah you'd think right? 90 degree day, high humidity with iats hovering near 115, no fan, hard drive then stop and go traffic. Ect stayed below 190, got to a point, wouldnt budge either way.... temp gauge also indicated completely normal.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in