Aluminum radiator thermostat won't open - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Dmanyari is learning the way of the DDmanyari is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Aluminum radiator thermostat won't open

Has anyone here had thermostat problems after changing to an aluminum radiator?

I've been struggling with this issue for a couple of months.

If I'm standing in traffic, it'll work fine will open and engage the fan at right temperatures.

If I'm flogging the engine and going really fast, it'll work fine and stay even a lil under the temps.

If I'm at constant speed and low rpms, itll overheat, just a little over normal temp, revving the engine will make it open. If I'm using AC, it'll go to the end of the gauge and boil the reservoir.

I thought it was the thermostat, took out the one I had(not oem), and replaced it with a new Honda Thermostat . It got even worse. it overheated untill the end of the gauge, to the point the reservoir started boiling. Revving the engine didn't open the thermostat this time.

I had to stop at a parking lot and take out the thermostat and it ran perfectly cool (same temps as flogging the engine, as in a lil under the normal temp)

I'm at a loss here. Suggestions? Ideas?

I have no leaks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Civic '93 EG8 D16Y8 Daily Driver/Weekend Warrior

Last edited by Dmanyari; 04-16-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Dmanyari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Sounds like air in the system.

When you changed the radiator did you turn the heat all the way on inside the car when you started it? Did you open the bleeder screw to let any air out? Did you let it get all the way to operating temp and see if the t-stat opened after bleeding?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Dmanyari is learning the way of the DDmanyari is learning the way of the D

I did the bleeder thing. Couldn't do the last part because the shop was closing already. drove home overheated removed the Tstat in a parking lot and went home.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

If you didn't let it warm up there is still possibly air in the system.

I use these and they work great

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

That looks awesome. You guys in the US have the best stuff.

I will exchange the tstat for a new one at the dealership and be more throrough with the bleeding process. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aluminum, overheating, radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in