Walbro fuel pump problem - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Walbro fuel pump problem

Hi D-series.org

I tried to get my project car running last weekend, it's been off the road for about 2.5years.

I cranked, the car would fire but would instantly pop fuse 14 and die (ECU/voltage reg/fuel pump is on that circuit). Replaced the fuse and primed the pump and the pump sounds like it's under heavy load (not high pitch whine like usual).

Disconnected the fuel pump and the car ran on the pressure in the fuel rail.

Checked the harness plug and the ground is good and the power signal to the pump is good.

The fuel pump bench tests fine. Plugged the pump back into the harness (but not submerged in the fuel) and it runs fine. It sounds like there's a blockage in the fuel system.

I disconnected the feed line into the fuel rail and the pump primes perfectly. Reattached and disconnected the line after the Aeromotive FPR and the pump sounds like it's struggling again. I've got a gauge on the FPR and it reads 40psi off the prime. I wind the adjuster all the way out, it reads 5psi. I prime again and the pump sounds much better, but still struggling.

The fuel return line is clear.

So it seems the motor doesn't like any kind of load condition... Is this a normal sign of a fkd fuel pump? I bought the pump new from summit in July 2014. Seems like a short period of time to die IMO, considering original pumps can last for decades.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to be getting an OEM pump to test to see if i can get the car running but i have to go to the wreckers for that. I just wanted to get some opinions first.

PFA

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I can test the pump at work.

If you want to send it my way, I'll take a look at it.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I see no mention of fuel filter condition. Has that been checked?

Have you tested amperage draw on the pump? Has the pump wiring been up graded?
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
I can test the pump at work.

If you want to send it my way, I'll take a look at it.
Thanks for the offer, but i'm in Brisbane (Australia). The shipping would almost be the cost of a replacement pump haha. Out of interest, how would you test it? I guess i can measure the amp draw while it's priming... Is high amp draw and low torque output a sign of a bad motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherchris View Post
I see no mention of fuel filter condition. Has that been checked?
I'm running an inline fuel filter which is before the rail, the pump primes fine through the fuel filter (only sounds bad pumping after the FPR) It appears the filter is not creating any flow resistance.

Quote:
Have you tested amperage draw on the pump? Has the pump wiring been up graded?
No, but if it's blowing a 10amp fuse only after the car tries to run the additional things on that circuit (doesn't blow when just priming) it'd have to be under 10 amp, but not by much. The wiring is factory.

Thanks for the replies

Old 02-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

I want to add also, that i've run the car with the same fuel pump for over a year before pulling it off the road with no problems.

The only change to the fuel system is:

1) it's been sitting for 2.5 years
2) Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

its been sitting? have you flushed the system? could be gummed up somewhere.
remove the return and blast some air through it.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

I put in an OEM EK fuel pump last night and it fired right up. :/

Looks like the walbro just didn't like sitting for so long. Tomorrow i'm going to try putting the Walbro back in and chuck it on a relay circuit and see if that makes a difference, if it doesn't i'll have to buy another one.

Unless anyone else has another fuel pump recommendation? Looks like there's a tonne of threads about Walbro's popping fuse 14.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

What kind of fuel did you have in the tank? If it was a lead based fuel like c16 it will cause havoc on your fuel system guming up everything
apexboogs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
Thanks for the offer, but i'm in Brisbane (Australia). The shipping would almost be the cost of a replacement pump haha. Out of interest, how would you test it? I guess i can measure the amp draw while it's priming... Is high amp draw and low torque output a sign of a bad motor?
We manufacture our own pumps. We have a test rig we built that allows us to monitor flow and amperage draw at pressures and voltages we set. I have a W255 benchmark that your pump's results would be measured against.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
Old 02-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexboogs24 View Post
What kind of fuel did you have in the tank? If it was a lead based fuel like c16 it will cause havoc on your fuel system guming up everything
I'm not sure how our fuel compares to US fuel, but i don't think Australia has sold leads based fuel since the early 90's

Quote:
We manufacture our own pumps. We have a test rig we built that allows us to monitor flow and amperage draw at pressures and voltages we set. I have a W255 benchmark that your pump's results would be measured against.
Oh right that's neat, what company do you work for? Would you recommend their products?

Old 03-01-2018, 07:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

I work for DeatschWerks. Of course I would recommend our products! I've been here 8 years and all of the fuel pump related kits and applications are my handy work. Along with most of the injector fitments and some new product lines we'll be releasing this year.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
Old 03-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
I work for DeatschWerks. Of course I would recommend our products! I've been here 8 years and all of the fuel pump related kits and applications are my handy work. Along with most of the injector fitments and some new product lines we'll be releasing this year.
Neat, a mate of mine is running a DeatschWerks pump and recommended it to me also.

Even better, I just checked and we have an Australian distributor.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in